First time cruiser review

That's not on is it Jakanne? I think this is made worse on Majesty because there isn't as much capacity as on the other ships for dining so that should militate against any table saving at all. I must say we never went to the same table on Majesty because of the pressure - we were just pleased to get seated! But tables should never be saved if people are waiting on any of the ships.

We're relying on you to get the real Mc Coy Jakanne. Agent J on the job! ;)

I had better get my little black book out again and write down my tasks! :D

I am just surmising that this was happening. To be honest we were treated really well by all the staff, beyond what was expected by some....and we tipped them on the last night.

I did tip the cabin stewards on the first day when they provided us with a fold up bed, (so I did not have to climb up into a top bunk), but I explained it was for being so kind and for the extra work involved. We gave them a normal tip on our last day.

When I was on Majesty with my DH in March, on our second night we had problems in the MDR and DH complained to the new Head Waiter, (his wine glass was empty for too long). Then another man on our table got a port glass with lipstick stains on it. New Head Waiter was called again. After some jokes about the colour of the lipstick, DH and said Head Waiter got on famously and we were looked after extremely well after that...without tipping.

When I returned to Majesty 5 weeks later without DH....the Head Waiter recognised me and said, "But where is your husband?" He looked after us 3 ladies after that, introducing the couples who shared our table and breaking the ice. We did not get any preferential treatment....only a big smile of recognition.

You must have had a good Head Waiter who remembered your preference.

All the best

Mike

Oh he was good, and our first day was his first day too. He will still be there in Sept when we go again. I wonder if he will still recognise us?

Another Head Waiter has started up a FB page for Majesty and he was very good too. They both apologised if they could not get us a table in the section we preferred.

It's a coincidence this has been brought up.

We don't eat at the same time each night and always sit where we are put.;). However on our penultimate night we were very early into the dinning room and the Matre D said sit anywhere so hubby headed to a window seat on a table for six which had a couple already seated. When he went to sit down they said the seats were taken. I replied "well they must be invisable because I can't see anyone." The waiter came over and said the seats were reserved. We sat somewhere else even though my husband was prepared to just sit and be dammed :o but I didn't want to be sat with miserable people for the whole meal.

I watched for a while and no one came to sit down. The main point of this argument is around 7.30pm a queue would build up outside the restaurant and if people were reserving tables but comming in late they were obviously exacerbating this.

That's us V...timing depends on how long it takes to dry my hair! But why would a couple want to sit by themselves on a table for 6. They would look like proper Norman no Friends! :eek:

Years ago we holidayed at hotels where you shared tables of 8. You were shown to a table and had to sit there and when it was full the next table was filled. We were often sat with people from other countries who did not speak English but we had lots of fun trying to understand one another. There was no saving of seats allowed there!

I had better get my little black book out again and write down my tasks! :D

I am just surmising that this was happening. To be honest we were treated really well by all the staff, beyond what was expected by some....and we tipped them on the last night.

I did tip the cabin stewards on the first day when they provided us with a fold up bed, (so I did not have to climb up into a top bunk), but I explained it was for being so kind and for the extra work involved. We gave them a normal tip on our last day.

When I was on Majesty with my DH in March, on our second night we had problems in the MDR and DH complained to the new Head Waiter, (his wine glass was empty for too long). Then another man on our table got a port glass with lipstick stains on it. New Head Waiter was called again. After some jokes about the colour of the lipstick, DH and said Head Waiter got on famously and we were looked after extremely well after that...without tipping.

When I returned to Majesty 5 weeks later without DH....the Head Waiter recognised me and said, "But where is your husband?" He looked after us 3 ladies after that, introducing the couples who shared our table and breaking the ice. We did not get any preferential treatment....only a big smile of recognition.

Sounds as though you had very good service Jakanne - as it should be but you do appreciate it when they seem to go the extra mile don't you? That's what we find a big plus on Thomson although of course there are always exceptions which we hear about and that is a great shame both for the passenger who hasn't received the level of service expected and for the reputation of the Company.

Hi Mike

I will continue to post on the forum and the next time I cruise I will be posting my experiences. I enjoyed reliving my fab week away. While waiting on my cruise I looked at other forums for different ships liners and I came across a few threads where they used a similar format and enjoyed reading this even though it was not about thomson. I was hooked, that was why I thought I would like to share my cruise experience in the same way. I have kept up to date with everyone's adventutures and I feel that a lot of people tend to focus on the negatives, and before I went I was a bit worried, I am pleased to report that I had a wonderful relaxing week, and there were times I could have been negative but the good out weighs this so not worth talking about, ok I have nothing to compare my cruise with but when you can say it was money well spent and yes I will do it again then that's all you want from any holiday.

Thanks for all you kind words and support

Christine (Scot Born)

I really enjoyed reading your review and your format. I will endeavour to write a "daily diary" of my next cruise because I forget things and every day merges into one! :eek:

I really enjoyed reading your review and your format. I will endeavour to write a "daily diary" of my next cruise because I forget things and every day merges into one! :eek:

Me too, thank you Scot Born. I always do one Jackie- I take my journal up on deck with me when I first get up & sit out in the sun with a cup of coffee or 3 & sit writing it whilst watching the ship come to life.......it's so lovely to look back on & remember the little bits!

Me too, thank you Scot Born. I always do one Jackie- I take my journal up on deck with me when I first get up & sit out in the sun with a cup of coffee or 3 & sit writing it whilst watching the ship come to life.......it's so lovely to look back on & remember the little bits!

What a good idea, Jules. I have always written mine after shower and before dinner on hotel balcony but have not had a balcony on a cruise yet so have got out of the habit! :rolleyes:

I deplore the view that you can 'buy' better service.

Kruz,is that in response to my post?quote Jim The Scot

No Jim. It wasn't in relation to your comments at all. I agree with you - it isn't acceptable at all in my book but I'm sure it happens and some who have that belief will also carry it through.

I meant I deplore the view of those who take the stance that they can buy better service. I hope I'm far too fair-minded to think that's acceptable because by definition it means others will get poorer service. That's not on imo.

Hope that clarifies my comment. :)

It certainly does Kruz..I misinterpreted you post.

The great thing about this forum is that all can share their views, and hopefully that will continue.

Spot on Mike.I`ve never met anyone on the forum but in a funny way feel I know most

From this thread, there is no one I would avoid on a future cruise.

Cheers

Mike

You`ve taken that too far ;)

You do know Jim that will cost you a fiver cos they will just remove it and then you won't have your towel at the end of the cruise.

Good spot Christine,never thought of that

PS you are a true gentleman too Jim but let me know when we might bump into each other I would like to buy you something, no not a drink, ok maybe but defo a wooden spoon. LOL here's to wonderful cruising

Why I thank you Christine

I`ll add it to my collection 00708863.jpg

:D

That's us V...timing depends on how long it takes to dry my hair! But why would a couple want to sit by themselves on a table for 6. They would look like proper Norman no Friends!

Hi anne,

I dont see much wrong with outwith it was a table set for 6......Now,you wont meet anyone more sociable than myself and Mrs Jim The Scot and we`ve made countless new friends on our cruises but we do prefer to eat by ourselves the best part of the time.....What with our hectic social time meeting up with friends during the day and in the evening its the only time we have to ourselves

It certainly does Kruz..I misinterpreted you post.

Spot on Mike.I`ve never met anyone on the forum but in a funny way feel I know most

:D

No probs Jim. :) Like you I feel I kind of 'know' lots of folks on here and find the exchanges we have interesting, enjoyable and very friendly. 'Knowing' you as I feel I do - I'm sure we wouldn't end up 'at odds' with one another!!!! ;) :D:D

Like you I feel I kind of 'know' lots of folks on here and find the exchanges we have interesting, enjoyable and very friendly.

Same Kruz...My days not complete till I`ve have my CC fix

'Knowing' you as I feel I do - I'm sure we wouldn't end up 'at odds' with one another!!!! ;) :D:D

Knowing me,knowing you...Aha!

Love a bit debate/discussion but I`m too happy go lucky to end up at odds with anybody Kruz...

Hi anne,

I dont see much wrong with outwith it was a table set for 6......Now,you wont meet anyone more sociable than myself and Mrs Jim The Scot and we`ve made countless new friends on our cruises but we do prefer to eat by ourselves the best part of the time.....What with our hectic social time meeting up with friends during the day and in the evening its the only time we have to ourselves

Hi Jim,

That's what I was referring to......2 sat on a table set for 6. DH and I were sat by ourselves on a table for 6 one night and we felt quite uncomfortable whereas if it was a table for 2 or even 4 it would have been good. I find sharing a table has enabled us to meet some lovely people. Funnily enough, when we went to our "stay" hotel on Corfu, we always sat at a table for two and that was good too. :rolleyes:

By the way, I am Jackie Anne. :D

Thank you all for all you kind words I am overwhelmed by the reponse I have had about the daily review report and I look forward reading all your reviews. It is good that it can also remind everyone of their experiences and open up a debate on anything and everything.

I also need my daily fix of CC and never want to find a cure.

Kind Regards

Christine (Scot Born)

Christine, I loved reading your crit. I first went on the Dream in Oct 2011 with my dad. My husband had 2 hip operations that year so couldn't fly and my dad hadn't had a holiday in 10 years since my mum died.

I found the cruise in the Thomson TA window and immediately thought my dad would love it. My dad was in his element talking to other passengers and made good friends. Everyone was so nice and he especially loved the attention being given to him by the staff. They made him feel so special. I quite enjoyed being on my own doing the port days. At the end I shed a few tears.

Since then my husband Bruce and I have done 2 cruises (Oct 2012 and the Apr/May 2013) all Med ones. My dad died unexpectedly in January this year and I am so pleased both he and I did my first cruise cause I am hooked on the Dream but would like to try other Thomson ships. if it wasn't for my dad I'd never have discovered the joy of cruising. You just would not believe how many times my dad talked to all about the cruise and I am pleased I did it for him. It was his last holiday.

Christine, I loved reading your crit. I first went on the Dream in Oct 2011 with my dad. My husband had 2 hip operations that year so couldn't fly and my dad hadn't had a holiday in 10 years since my mum died.

I found the cruise in the Thomson TA window and immediately thought my dad would love it. My dad was in his element talking to other passengers and made good friends. Everyone was so nice and he especially loved the attention being given to him by the staff. They made him feel so special. I quite enjoyed being on my own doing the port days. At the end I shed a few tears.

Since then my husband Bruce and I have done 2 cruises (Oct 2012 and the Apr/May 2013) all Med ones. My dad died unexpectedly in January this year and I am so pleased both he and I did my first cruise cause I am hooked on the Dream but would like to try other Thomson ships. if it wasn't for my dad I'd never have discovered the joy of cruising. You just would not believe how many times my dad talked to all about the cruise and I am pleased I did it for him. It was his last holiday.

I am sorry to hear about your dad, but it is very comforting to have wonderful memories and I think your first cruise is always special and will more so to you. Glad your hubby can now share these with you. Happy Cruising

Archived