River Cruise Dining

jm485

I've been on a river cruise (Viking, actually) only once before, and I didn't remember just sitting down w/o being seated. How do you do this - scout around to see who else hasn't ordered yet? Seems a little odd to be walking around in order to find a table who is at the same place you are....make sense?

Felicia

Nobody on Avalon to sit you. You just wander around until you find a table that has seats available and ask if they mind you joining them. For our recent cruise I'd say that everybody was in the restaurant within 10 minutes of opening. There were some saved seats, same people, same table, same chairs every meal. We did break in one lunch to one of these tables and were warmly welcomed. But I still wonder what the folks whose chairs we took were thinking when they saw us in them. :D

Hi, We just got off the AMACERTO last week. Although there were no dedicated tables for 2, we did notice that almost every night there were tables with only 2 people sitting at them. Not sure if the guests asked to be at a table by themselves or if just worked out that way.

We were on AmaCerto as well and there were banquettes for two.

Why do you want a table-for-2 isolated from the others?

We prefer a table for two most of the time when we travel without friends or family. Sometimes we just do not feel like making small talk. We also enjoy each other's company. It is enough at breakfast and lunch to share a table most of the time but it is not our preference to do so at dinner unless we have met someone we wish to share with.

I've been on a river cruise (Viking, actually) only once before, and I didn't remember just sitting down w/o being seated. How do you do this - scout around to see who else hasn't ordered yet? Seems a little odd to be walking around in order to find a table who is at the same place you are....make sense?

Felicia

Actually, have never had a seating host on a river cruise - and we have completed 6 so far.

Once or twice - at breakfast or lunch - we were directed to a table, but more because of a "clean" space (ie: not yet used, or used and already bussed....) rather than "seating us".

As bobandjoe indicated, most come in for dinner and find a seat within the first 10 or 15 minutes after the doors open. So, most people are on the "same course" quite quickly.

Fran

I agree with no one to direct you to seating and we have traveled with 4 different companies. I don't recall tables for 2 on any of the ships, but then again we prefer to meet new people so were not looking for one. Cruises were with AMA, Avalon, Viking and Grand Circle. You could probably get a table for 2 if the ship was not full as there are usually a good number of tales for four.

There is such an eclectic mix of people that you might be pleasantly surprised at dinner if you had to sit at a table for 4.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

Usually 7pm unless something has delayed a group that is off the ship or there is an after dinner shore trip later that evening that most people are involved in such as a concert or show.

With one very small kitchen and the servers, etc. involved in other tasks, it kind of defaults to that time.

On our Viking cruise earlier this month the lunch menus were posted every morning so you could decide if you wanted to eat in the lounge or main dining room since there were different menus. I don't remember seeing the dinner menu posted since dinner was served only in the main dining room.

Just saw this post. On every trip we have been on there are always people who are hesitant to interact with strangers. One of the great things about a river cruise is that there are every sort of person you could imagine. A lot of them are very outgoing, others among the quietest ever. People will respect your wishes as far as interacting with you. The boat is large enough that you can always find an area to get away if you want to. The only meal that everyone eats at the same times (filling all tables possibly is dinner. The others range over a period or time, thus, empty tables even though none of them may be for two, you can definitely sit there by yourselves.

This kind of trip is worth doing. You will see and do things you will remember for the rest of your lives.

GO FOR IT!!!

Actually, have never had a seating host on a river cruise - and we have completed 6 so far.

Once or twice - at breakfast or lunch - we were directed to a table, but more because of a "clean" space (ie: not yet used, or used and already bussed....) rather than "seating us".

As bobandjoe indicated, most come in for dinner and find a seat within the first 10 or 15 minutes after the doors open. So, most people are on the "same course" quite quickly.

Fran

I'll be traveling alone, but do enjoy socializing at meal times. On cruise ships, you are seated and that's not a problem. So is it common if you're wanting to join a table to do so? I mean, ask first of course, but is that considered weird?

Felicia

Not at all. First of all, you will probably not be the only solo traveler. Also, if you are there before a lot of people, have a seat at an empty table and welcome a single person or couple traveling alone to your table. A great way to make new friends. My wife and I always travel as just the two of us. We have many very interesting people by sitting with single travelers.

Relax and enjoy.

So is it common if you're wanting to join a table to do so? I mean, ask first of course, but is that considered weird?

Felicia

Not at all... People will usually ask if the seats are taken (just in case there is a large group dining together, and not all arrived at the same time....) - but more often than not they are free, and you are welcomed to the table. It is a great way to meet your fellow travelers.

Fran

Not at all. First of all, you will probably not be the only solo traveler. Also, if you are there before a lot of people, have a seat at an empty table and welcome a single person or couple traveling alone to your table. A great way to make new friends. My wife and I always travel as just the two of us. We have many very interesting people by sitting with single travelers.

Relax and enjoy.

I don't mind being a solo traveler! I really enjoy socializing at meal times, tho. It just seems awkward to think about stopping at a table and asking to join someone (thus running the risk of rejection! LOL) or stopping people walking thru the dining room to ask "Please join me". Do I need to resort to tripping them to get their attention? LOL

Soon I leave! I can't wait.

Felicia

I,m sure that if my husband and I noticed someone sitting on their own in the dining room we would ask if we could join you. Surely people go on a river cruise to meet and interact with one another.

A lot of us are going to be solo travellers at some time and I would hope others would treat me the same way.

My cruise earlier this month was my first one by myself. I had no issues with finding a place at a table and met many wonderful fellow travelers. I am not particularly shy and had no trouble finding tables at breakfast and lunch. I met a mother and daughter duo, a caretaker and her 'patient' and we formed a regular dinner group.

Have a great trip! I had a wonderful time!

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The first day before dinner there is probably the Welcome Cocktail reception. When you attend that you can meet some people you might have something in common with. Also when you go on excursions you will meet people. The dining room doesn't contain any extra tables. Don't worry you won't be eating alone

Archived