Refrigeration of meds.

Can anyone please tell me how well the fridges in the cabins work. My DH just started Enbrel and it has to be refrigerated between 36 to 42 degrees. From my past experiences, they don't get any way near that temperature. Can it be stored in the ships infirmary? Thanks in advance for your help.

Can anyone please tell me how well the fridges in the cabins work. My DH just started Enbrel and it has to be refrigerated between 36 to 42 degrees. From my past experiences, they don't get any way near that temperature. Can it be stored in the ships infirmary? Thanks in advance for your help.

Contact Special Needs at [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse].

Contact Special Needs at [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse].

Yes, agreed. They will take care of you as the "coolers" in the room will not suffice, IMO.

With my husbands meds, we just ask our room steward to store them for us and when he needs them we just call and ask for them to be brought to the room. Very easy and no problems.

I understand this may work for you but this is something I would never do, and I will tell you why. Room stewards work a very long day and they actually do have some "down time" in the middle of the day between morning and evening services. I would never think of disturbing my steward for anything during this time. S/he absolutely may bring the meds to you, but please consider that s/he may have been taking a much needed nap or doing laundry or something else that needed to be done during that time. Just wanted to mention that as a suggestion that people not start calling their steward at all hours of the day when an alternative solution is probably better (such as the proper fridge from Special Needs).

I know, fridges in the cabin are hit or miss and I had my fair share of not too cold fridges, but on my last cruise I had a really cold one. Actually I put a bottle of water in it and a couple days later when I wanted a sip it was solid frozen:eek:

Special Needs is the way to go for the OP. I don´t think I´d trust the cabin Steward with this to store the meds at the proper temp.

I understand this may work for you but this is something I would never do, and I will tell you why. Room stewards work a very long day and they actually do have some "down time" in the middle of the day between morning and evening services. I would never think of disturbing my steward for anything during this time. S/he absolutely may bring the meds to you, but please consider that s/he may have been taking a much needed nap or doing laundry or something else that needed to be done during that time. Just wanted to mention that as a suggestion that people not start calling their steward at all hours of the day when an alternative solution is probably better (such as the proper fridge from Special Needs).

The post above mine stated to call special needs. YES - that is the best thing and that is what we did. How we handled our situation was done through the Special Needs department. Maybe do to the fact that my husband only needed one shot, every other evening. They provided us a # to call when he was ready to take the shot and that is what he did. Our room steward was on each night that he needed the meds, so he is the one who brought them. I would never ask him to do it when not on duty and for all I know it was stored in a kitchen. I am just stating what we did with our meds.

And we have stated to special needs each time we needed a fridge to store meds. ONLY 1 out of 5 cruises have we gotten one. Even in a handicap room. Go figure!

I do this: First contact Special Needs for sure...get a confirmation on a fridge..like others said, the regular fridge in the cabin will NOT keep it to 36-42 degrees...second. CALL RCI about one week before, ask for Special Needs and verbally confirm your request. Finally, when you get on board, when you check in at boarding, see if they have your request. If not ( sometimes they don't have that info at check-in..), go to your cabin, it might be there...If not, go to Guest Services and tell them about your confirmation ( you should have something printed out in hand) ....they would call Housekeeping and contact your cabin steward...last time I did this, the cabin steward brought the fridge in 90 seconds ( not kidding!)....Be firm & strong, but polite...keep in mind, depending on what ship you're on, they may have between 2000-6300 passengers to deal with....

Personally I do not contact the Special Needs Dept. regarding medications as I view it as an invasion of my privacy. Nor do I ask the cabin steward to have take and store the medications for me.

At No time do I let the medication out of my possession.

Rather I bring a small collapsible nylon cooler similar to one used for lunches. I than pack all the medications in a ZIPS Lock Bags and double the Zip Lock Bags. I than request multiple refills of ice be delivered daily . Have traveled the world using this method and never had an issue.

I agree, dont let your meds outta your site. Bring a small pack cooler with you.

Personally I do not contact the Special Needs Dept. regarding medications as I view it as an invasion of my privacy. Nor do I ask the cabin steward to have take and store the medications for me.

Rather I bring a small collapsible nylon cooler similar to one used for lunches. I than pack all the medications in a ZIPS Lock Bags and double the Zip Lock Bags. I than request multiple refills of ice be delivered daily . Have traveled the world using this method and never had an issue.

That's exactly what I was thinking - no way would they leave my possession.

Archived