Room Service - please report in......

bardgal

In addition to the regular room service menu, I have always been able to order anything off of the dining room menu (during normal dining room hours, i.e. breakfast/lunch/dinner, and from whatever menu they were currently serving from.) I have done this in both suite and non-suite cabins.

However, there have been reports of Princess declining this service to non-suite passengers recently.

Everyone who has ever ordered room service from the dining room menus, or written in something not on the breakfast card.... please report:

1 - Ship

2 - Date of Sailing

3 - Time of order

4 - Item ordered

5 - How item was ordered (called room service, wrote on breakfast card)

6 - Was item delivered?

and any other details that might be helpful

Thanks!!!

1. Caribbean Princess

2. 6/11/05-6/18/05

3. Evening (8:00 p.m.)

4. Call to room service

5. Requested items off of dining room menu

6. Declined by room service personel and told they only serve items off of room service menu. (Non- suite passenger):rolleyes:

Hi all,

Bardgal and I started this discussion in another thread. Basically, my three cruises are listed below in my signature, I tried to fill in extra information here...

1 - Ship - (See Below)

2 - Date of Sailing - (See Below)

3 - Time of order - (Dinner, though the cheese fries were "late night")

4 - Item ordered - cheese fries (totally not on the menu), beef wellington (on the menu), love boat dream ("always available"), don't remember the others.

5 - How item was ordered (I always called room service.)

6 - Was item delivered? Nope - they said only what is on the room service menu.

If we are going back to last year, in October 2004, I can assure you that we were able to order a full breakfast (totally wrote in on the breakfast menu) and it was delivered promptly with no questions asked.

Omelets, Bacon, Sausage, etc etc etc.

We did have a mini suite, but that should not make any difference as the mini doesn't come with any extra perks like the suites except for a nicer room.

Hi all' date='

Bardgal and I started this discussion in another thread. Basically, my three cruises are listed below in my signature, I tried to fill in extra information here...

1 - Ship - (See Below)

2 - Date of Sailing - (See Below)

3 - Time of order - (Dinner, though the cheese fries were "late night")

4 - Item ordered - cheese fries (totally not on the menu), beef wellington (on the menu), love boat dream ("always available"), don't remember the others.

5 - How item was ordered (I always called room service.)

6 - Was item delivered? Nope - they said only what is on the room service menu.[/quote']

I don't mean to get nit-picky.... ok, yes I do. ;)

Here's my question/comments - I can understand the cheese fries (not on any menu - a bit labor intensive to make on the fly, though no more trouble than any of the sandwiches on the room service menu but perhaps the idea of cheese fries is as lost in translation as moth larvae on menus in Oz depending on who is answering the phone...)

But was the Beef Wellington and Love Boat Dream both ordered during normal dining room hours and on all three cruises?

thanks

I don't know about you guys, but when I tried to order, it was during dinner hours. I made sure of it. In fact, I had just been to the dining room for dinner alone because my husband was working out. So, when I got back to my room, I wanted to have dinner waiting for him and I had tried some really nice things in the dining room. I don't know what the big deal would've been but, ....declined.

I don't know about you guys, but when I tried to order, it was during dinner hours. I made sure of it. In fact, I had just been to the dining room for dinner alone because my husband was working out. So, when I got back to my room, I wanted to have dinner waiting for him and I had tried some really nice things in the dining room. I don't know what the big deal would've been but, ....declined.

When and what ship, oh, and what kind of cabin were you in?

(trying to get a beat on when/if/how this has changed....)

thanks

I'd like to know when this changed, also. We were on the Grand ...although almost two years ago...and you could order whatever you wanted.

We were on the Spirit (Carnival) to Hawaii in October and on there you could also order whatever you wanted if the kitchen was open.

Dawn Princess

10/04 morning

Wrote on breakfast card what we wanted/ hot breakfast eggs ,bacon ect.

Always got what orderd, on time, no ? asked

Balcony room

Its one of the things we have loved the most, is eating breakfast on the balcony, not having to get dressed first ect. Hope to do the same on the Sun this Oct. We also did the same inon the Sun in 2001 to Alaska.

Have never tried the dinner menu.

1. Sun & Dawn

2.7/01 & 10/04

3. Morning

4. Wrote in what we wanted on Breakfast card night before/ hot breakfast eggs, bacon ect.

5 We always got what we ordered, no ? asked. It is one of our favs to do, eat breakfast on balcony, not having to getup and get dressed ect. It was always on time. Have not tried dinner menu.

6. Balcony on Aloha deck

bardgal.. So why are you gathering all of this info ??

Because I'd like to know.

I'd like to know how much it varies ship to ship/crew to crew/ or is this some corporate wide thing Princess is trying to do.

The Balcony Breakfast thing doesn't make sense, because you're paying for the champagne split. The Ultimate Balcony Dinner - you're paying for the meal to be served in courses, not all at once (like room service is delivered), and by staff who only do that specifically, which is why there is a limited number available per cruise.

It doesn't make sense to me unless the dining room isn't making the item requested, or it's something that would be beyond dead by the time it was delivered... (I'm thinking pancakes would be pretty cold and chewy by the time they arrived in the cabin, but then the person answering the phone could explain that - or maybe you LIKE cold chewy pancakes...). The items on the room service menu are by and large not made in advance and just sitting there - burgers, sandwiches, etc - but have to still be made to order when someone calls in. Most items from the dining room (other than steak or a bananas foster type of dessert which are cooked to order) are all pre-portioned and waiting for a waiter to pick them up... or an expo to take it out of a hot chaffing dish on the line, and put it on a plate, and are much less labor-intensive to prep than the room service items (making a sandwich or cooking a burger). So ordering off of the menu is actually less trouble for the people on room service duty.

So - I'm just not getting the reason Princess would suddenly change what was a pretty big perk in my book, and a super easy service for them. Unless it was the sheer number of items ordered - three to five courses, more than one entree, you need a cart to deliver it all... where most people (other than me & my friends) won't order five of the same sandwich.

Or - is it because that many people get their food, and it's not as fresh as it's delivered in the dining room because they've had to drag it to the cabin in the first place, then complain about it (hello, you ordered room service, the kitchen isn't in the hallway) and Princess got sick of it so the easiest way to deal with the complaints was to get rid of it (like the themed dining rooms on DIAMOND and SAPPHIRE).

It's one of the things I love about Princess that makes the service better than other cruiselines...... so I'm curious. I don't think I'm alone either...

In addition to the regular room service menu, I have always been able to order anything off of the dining room menu (during normal dining room hours, i.e. breakfast/lunch/dinner, and from whatever menu they were currently serving from.) I have done this in both suite and non-suite cabins.

However, there have been reports of Princess declining this service to non-suite passengers recently.

Everyone who has ever ordered room service from the dining room menus, or written in something not on the breakfast card.... please report:

1 - Ship

2 - Date of Sailing

3 - Time of order

4 - Item ordered

5 - How item was ordered (called room service, wrote on breakfast card)

6 - Was item delivered?

and any other details that might be helpful

Thanks!!!

1. Golden Princess

2. 10/24/04

3. Breakfast every day

4. Eggs, Bacon, Pancakes, etc.

5. Wrote on breakfast card every night for the next morning

6. Everything was delivered every morning no questions asked.

We were in an AA mini-suite.

I'm hoping they will still do this when we sail on the Golden on 7/11.

I say this rather sarcastically. I was thinking about this overnight, because this is the one thing that kinda ticked me off on our cruise. I think Princess probably does have a policy on this. Has anyone in a suite ever been denied exactly what they want from room service????? If so, I'd like to know. Mind you I don't think anyone I've seen on here so far that was denied had a suite. That's the policy. I still think Princess should go the extra mile for everyone!

I say this rather sarcastically. I was thinking about this overnight, because this is the one thing that kinda ticked me off on our cruise. I think Princess probably does have a policy on this. Has anyone in a suite ever been denied exactly what they want from room service????? If so, I'd like to know. Mind you I don't think anyone I've seen on here so far that was denied had a suite. That's the policy. I still think Princess should go the extra mile for everyone!

They used to, which is why I'm confused..... and would like as much info from recent cruisers as possile.

and I agree with you 100%.

Archived