Gastric Bypass meals on NCL

RI_Lady

Hi, cruiser friends!

I recently had gastric bypass and wondered if anyone else has had cruise experiences after this life changing event?

Were you able to get soft foods?

Were the selections limited?

How were the selections offered to you?

I have cruised many times but this is the first after my surgery.

Thanks friends, RI lady[/color:)]

Have cruised with special needs that have varied including soft. This is my belief. It is totally up to you to make it work. It is not reasonable to expect NCL to 'cater' to thousands of different specific needs. It can ALWAYS work if you're eating for nourishment and to feed your body's fuel needs. If you're eating for entertainment or for a drug or for fun, you may be disappointed. Having said all that there are always soft things like eggs, soups, puddings, jellos, dairy products, juices that will provide all the healthy nutrition anyone could desire. If you just want to purée your food, which I don't like to do, you might want to look into a Magic Bullet to use in your cabin. I've always found at least one thing at every meal. I especially love a.m. omelettes. ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!!! Food really can be a no focus.

I recommend that you bring a Magic Bullet and some protein powder. We did that on a cruise after my wife's operation....she was still on the soft food phase...that gave her the nourishment, using non-fat / low-fat milk from room service or the buffet and she was able to pick and choose whatever soft foods she found on the menus without starving.

You can use the Magic Bullet to make almost any of the food work if you bring it back to your stateroom. If you do this, I suggest bringing a small bottle of dish soap so that you can effectively clean the container in your sink.

Hopefully, by the time your cruise comes around, you will be in more advanced phases of food.

My wife's mantra for problems with food:

Too Much

Too Dry

Wrong Foods

To add, you can be creative too. Since everything is made to order in the main dining room, don't hesitate to ask to mix and match items from different dishes, such as the veggie from one dish with the fish from another. Waiters are very accommodating. On any given night, I remember often there are dishes that have something soft ... sweet/mash potato, cream soups, fresh fruit, ice cream, sorbets, broiled/poached fish, pasta.

Good luck on your life change. Know a few people who've had it done with dramatic positive results.

Edited by kylenyc

I would suggest the you contact: AccessDesk@ncl.com

Give them: your name, reservation number, cabin number, the date of your cruise, the ship, medical information:gastric bypass surgery need soft foods. They will contact the ship and will try to accommodate your needs. When you arrive in your cabin there should be a letter from the Dawn's Access Officer.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

How far out are you? I am also a rny patient. I am five years out though. I found the last cruise there was enough options, and soft foods. You just have to be careful, and bring protein powder if you are very new out. Don't use milk though, in case you dump.

Bonnie

Thank you all for the input. I have not cruised NCL in a while and I know things change. I will be on Soft foods by the time we cruise. All your suggestions are helpful. Like many people, I do not want to draw attention to myself. I have thought of the protein powder, blender, but not dish soap. I started this thread looking for positive input and wish to thank you all.

See you cruising the waves!

How far out are you? I am also a rny patient. I am five years out though. I found the last cruise there was enough options, and soft foods. You just have to be careful, and bring protein powder if you are very new out. Don't use milk though, in case you dump.

Bonnie

Bonnie, I will be 37 days out from RNY. I am feeling great and adapting. Thank you for the feedback. Is Lactaid available on the ship, I never looked for it before? Thanks again

Karen

Hello again, I don't know how to contact you privately on here?? but you are welcome to contact me if you know how.

37 days, so you should be eating a bit more solids by then. I doubt they have lactaid, I've never seen it. I would contact ncl and ask if you can bring it on board.

Congrats on your decision, it's a wild ride, hold on :)

Bonnie

Out of curiousity since my aunt had bypass surgery and now only drinks Lactaid, I looked for her - I have been on several behind the scenes tours and have seen Lactaid in the cooler (down in the big storage areas on lower decks) each time. It doesn't hurt to check ahead of time, but I believe it is standard on board.

best of luck -

Congratulations!! I too am post bypass and have cruised without problems. If in doubt about any foods, err on the side of caution. I am able to make good choices on NCL due to their great menus and descriptions of dishes. TAke it slow and follow the rules, you will do well.:)

Out of curiousity since my aunt had bypass surgery and now only drinks Lactaid, I looked for her - I have been on several behind the scenes tours and have seen Lactaid in the cooler (down in the big storage areas on lower decks) each time. It doesn't hurt to check ahead of time, but I believe it is standard on board.

best of luck -

Thanks for the information. I am going to call tomorrow and ask about the Lactaid. We have requested a frig so I will be able to work this out. This is still so new to me that I find myself trying to trouble possible situations now, so if something happens I will be ready. Thanks again. Karen :o

Congratulations!! I too am post bypass and have cruised without problems. If in doubt about any foods, err on the side of caution. I am able to make good choices on NCL due to their great menus and descriptions of dishes. TAke it slow and follow the rules, you will do well.:)

Thanks for the encouragement. I hate to ask for special treatment when I am on a cruise. Everyone on the staff is always so helpful. CC friends are right, there are many choices, and I will be able to manage the dinners with my DH and friends without causing a problem. I am looking forward to this cruise, and know I will have fun!

Karen:o

For that phase my doc recommended a baby food mill.

large_1050_kidco-mill-4.jpg

This worked great! I was able to eat just about anything and enjoy all the different flavors!

Grate Idea. I have a small/ single serve blender that is easy to pack, but this will be useful and light weight. I had an ealy version of this baby food grinder 28 years ago. LOL what ever is old becomes new again! This thread has had many "reads" so i know I am one of many people making this life change.

As usual I find CC members to be supportive and helpful to fellow travelers. Thank you again for sharing!

Karen

One note on special food needs. Definitely ask the special needs department about your needs, and the ship will accommodate what they can. If you feel that you need to bring your own specific foods onboard, this will also need to be approved in advance, and don't rely on the in room fridge for storing food. They do not maintain adequate temperature for food safety (they are beverage coolers). I believe that anything you bring (sealed) will need to be given to the Food & Beverage staff for correct storage per USPH rules, and will be available when requested (most likely stored in the room service pantries).

It's nice to find this thread with fellow RNY cruisers. We haven't gone yet but I'll be sure to pack some protein powder and some Isopure Zero Carb drinks to put in the refrigerator. One of those alone will give you almost a full day's protein goal. That with some soft foods (eggs, fish) and you will be good to go. Enjoy!

I am 8 years out and struggling to shed the post baby (DD is 4) weight after pregnancy but have also had this thought pass in and out of my brain since I started looking to book. If you'll be *just* entering soft food phase, make sure you DON'T push yourself. I did that and regretted it every day. for almost 8 weeks solid, I threw up about a dozen times a day just because I didn't listen to my body and ate things I had no business eating.

Let your body guide you. It will tell you when you're screwing up. Listen to it! And if you go the smoothie route, make sure you don't load up on fruits and fruit juices. You will dump like crazy and spend the rest of your cruise on the toilet. Remember, sugar affects us just like a diabetic, even natural sugars like those found in fruits, because it goes RIGHT into your system with no stomach buffer.

Take it slow, chew your food like crazy (your mouth is your blender) and don't drink while you eat. You'll do just fine and I am sure you'll have no shortage of choices when it comes to finding things to eat.

Above all, ENJOY YOURSELF!!!

Great to know that there are others out there. I am just shy of 10 years out from my RNY (7/29/03). We are gearing up for our second cruise to Alaska on the Pearl. Last time I had no trouble finding appropriate things to eat.

As others have said, listen to your body. Don't push it. :-)

Most of all, enjoy!! Congratulations on your decision!

• 3 weeks later...

:D

Well , I am starting to pack for the cruise. Another new adventure post RNY. I have taken the kind advice , and suggestions that have been offered. I think I am ready. I will be boarding on 8-16 and can not wait. I am down almost 30 pounds. Venturing into soft foods slowly. things are going well. I will post again after my cruise to let you all know how it went.

See you under the stars! ;)

I recommend that you bring a Magic Bullet and some protein powder. We did that on a cruise after my wife's operation....she was still on the soft food phase...that gave her the nourishment, using non-fat / low-fat milk from room service or the buffet and she was able to pick and choose whatever soft foods she found on the menus without starving.

You can use the Magic Bullet to make almost any of the food work if you bring it back to your stateroom. If you do this, I suggest bringing a small bottle of dish soap so that you can effectively clean the container in your sink.

Hopefully, by the time your cruise comes around, you will be in more advanced phases of food.

My wife's mantra for problems with food:

Too Much

Too Dry

Wrong Foods

My magic bullet was confiscated at pier.

:D

Well , I am starting to pack for the cruise. Another new adventure post RNY. I have taken the kind advice , and suggestions that have been offered. I think I am ready. I will be boarding on 8-16 and can not wait. I am down almost 30 pounds. Venturing into soft foods slowly. things are going well. I will post again after my cruise to let you all know how it went.

See you under the stars! ;)

I will be anxiously awaiting your post as I am in the pre-op process. I sail on 09/06 and when I get back I go in to have my gall bladder out. Then it's on to the bypass. When I was thinking about booking I toyed with the idea of having surgery first, but then I decided this is my first cruise with my sisters and I don't want to have any limitations right now. I'll have enough of that soon enough. Good luck!!!

I will be anxiously awaiting your post as I am in the pre-op process. I sail on 09/06 and when I get back I go in to have my gall bladder out. Then it's on to the bypass. When I was thinking about booking I toyed with the idea of having surgery first, but then I decided this is my first cruise with my sisters and I don't want to have any limitations right now. I'll have enough of that soon enough. Good luck!!!

Ask you surgeon about doing both at the same time. I did and it saved me some $$. My insurance wouldn't cover the RNY but it would the gall bladder. The anesthesia and some of the surgeons fees were covered that way. Might be worth checking into.

I asked, but he won't do both at once. They're afraid of accidental cross contamination. Insurance covers both, but at a different rate. The gall bladder will be done by an in-network doctor and the bypass is being done by an out-of-network doctor.

I asked, but he won't do both at once. They're afraid of accidental cross contamination. Insurance covers both, but at a different rate. The gall bladder will be done by an in-network doctor and the bypass is being done by an out-of-network doctor.

Bummer. Congrats on your decision though! A new life awaits! :-)