Restaurants

fern1226

We will be in Cozumel soon and I would like some dinner restaurant recommendations. We are interested in casual, mexican restaurants with outdoor seating. The outdoor seating isn't a necessity but it would be nice. We are so excited about our cruise and are looking forward to some wonderful mexican food.

My top recommendation for Mexican food, after having just been there for 10 days, is La Choza. It's, at least, a 2x per trip stop for us.

Please know that the Mexican food you get in Cozumel is not, in any way, like the TexMex "Mexican" food you get here in the states. Each region of Mexico uses different spices and ingredients that are indigenous to that region. So, the food of the Yucatan is quite different than what you would find in Oaxaca or Mexico City or the Baja.

My vote for inexpensive, yummy, outdoor Mexican food would be Casa Denis. It is located in the square...approx. 1 1/2 blocks up from the large flag pole on the water.

I really liked La Conchita del Caribe. It isn't near any tourist area, so you will most likely be eating with the locals. Specialty is seafood and the prices are quite reasonable.

Casa Denis is a popular spot.

There is a good restaurant list on this page, about half way down:

http://www.jumpstartmusic.com/cozumel/travelog

This list is from a resident of the island, Christi, who owns/operates Blue XT Sea diving:

Christi’s Restaurant List, including favorite menu items (in no particular order)

* right around $5 or less

* * $5 to $15

*** $10 to $15

**** $10 to $30+

**La Choza – Corner of Av. 10 and Adolpho Rosada Salas - Shrimp Chile Relleno or fajitas

**Sonora Grill – Corner of Av. 15 and Benito Juarez - Tortilla soup, seafood soup, Garlic shrimp, sonora shrimp

**El Moro – back in the hood (by my house :)…just tell the taxi driver the name of the restaurant - I LOVE this place. Consomme de Moro, Shrimp on a wire, Mole Enchiladas

*100% Tacos – Av. 30 between Benito Juarez and Calle 2 (across from San Francisco) - dinner only

*Las Palmas (cocina economica) – corner of Av. 25 and Calle 3 - lunch only - Pollo Relleno or the daily special

*Sabores – cocina economica – Av. 5 between Calle 3 and Calle 5 - lunch only - daily special

*Chilangos – Av. 10 between Calle 11 and Calle 15 - lunch only - daily special

*Los Seras – Corner of Av. 30 and Calle 3 - dinner only - tacos al pastor with pineapple and cilantro

*Super Hit – Corner of Av. 30 and Adolpho Rosada Salas - great tortas (sandwiches)

*Camilo’s – one of my very favorites! Seafood tacos and tortas

Av 5 between Calle 2 and Calle 4 - Shrimp tacos or tortas

**** Guido’s – Main waterfront between Calle 6 and Calle 8 - closed Sundays - Calzones or daily seafood special, Beef or wahoo carpaccio w/hot sauce, garlic bread - and EXCELLENT Sangria!

**** French Quarter – Av. 5 between Adolpho Rosada Salas and Calle 3 - dinner only - prives have really gone up here so I don't go very often - Pork tenderloin, Chicken Orleans, or Filet

***Especias – Corner of Av. 10 and Calle 5 - don't miss this place - Thai shrimp special or cilantro chicken or fish

**Casa Denis - just off the main square between Av. 5 and Av. 10 - if you can find the square, ask anyone where Casa Denis is and they'll be able to show you - Enchiladas Suizas, Avocado soup

****Mesa 17 - Calle 17 between Av. 20 and Av. 25, where La Cocay used to be - Outstanding! mnu changes, so just trust the chef :) - Blue Cheese and Pear Salad is to die for

***Prima - Corner of Av. 5 and Adolpho Rosada Salas - upstairs - Lobster ravioli, steak/lobster, Lobster Diabla

*La Mission on 30th - NOT the one downtown and NOT Casa Mission back on 50th. Those are both tourist traps, but The Mission on 30th between Calle 2 and Calle 4 is great for tacos and basic Mexican food

Bruce-R has done his homework. All of the spots he mentioned are EXCELLENT! And, I completely agree that Casa Mission is definitely a tourist trap and an overprice tourist trap at that.

As for Casa Denis, this had always been one of our favorites. And, while the food there is still good, we found the service to be very lacking. We had received outstanding and extremely friendly service at every restaurant we ate at, including the little tacquerias. But at Casa Denis the service was not friendly, they got the order wrong, and it took forever to get our drinks. I normally don't complain about the speed of service because I know what to expect. But this was pretty bad. We pretty much made up our minds -- no more meals on the plaza.

For that combo and for the dinner meal my vote would go to:

La Morena, Avenida 10 between Calle 3 and Calle 5 -- about 3 blocks south of the plaza

Especias, one half block further along on Avenida 10

La Lobsteria, corner of Avenida 5 and Calle 7

Manatees, corner of Calle 8 and Avenida 10.

I also like Conchita del Caribe, Bruce (How are you, dear? Aren't you the sweetheart that brought me tea a couple of years ago?) I just biked up there 30 minutes ago to pick up a quart of their out of this world shrimp ceviche. Yum

There are plenty of other great places to eat but these come to my mind first when you combine outdoors, Mexican cuisine and dinner hour.

• 1 month later...
My top recommendation for Mexican food, after having just been there for 10 days, is La Choza. It's, at least, a 2x per trip stop for us.

Please know that the Mexican food you get in Cozumel is not, in any way, like the TexMex "Mexican" food you get here in the states. Each region of Mexico uses different spices and ingredients that are indigenous to that region. So, the food of the Yucatan is quite different than what you would find in Oaxaca or Mexico City or the Baja.

We ended up going to La Choza. I loved it, I'm ready to go back. I had the Veracruz fish, it was awesome.

We ended up going to La Choza. I loved it, I'm ready to go back. I had the Veracruz fish, it was awesome.

Thanks fern,

I'm always looking for a good place to eat. I believe that it is my destiny to eat in some of the most out-of-the-way places in the northern hemispere. I must thank everyone for their suggestions and recommendations. All of our trips have been improved by reading these boards.

Gracias amigos.

I just came back from there, and was able to lounge in their hammocks looking at my ship until my food came.

Fajitas were great, beers were cold, and guac was to die for.

Also visit their liitle shop right next door for two dollar bottles of hot sauce.

I really liked La Conchita del Caribe. It isn't near any tourist area, so you will most likely be eating with the locals. Specialty is seafood and the prices are quite reasonable.

Casa Denis is a popular spot.

There is a good restaurant list on this page, about half way down:

http://www.jumpstartmusic.com/cozumel/travelog

This list is from a resident of the island, Christi, who owns/operates Blue XT Sea diving:

Christi’s Restaurant List, including favorite menu items (in no particular order)

* right around $5 or less

* * $5 to $15

*** $10 to $15

**** $10 to $30+

**La Choza – Corner of Av. 10 and Adolpho Rosada Salas - Shrimp Chile Relleno or fajitas

**Sonora Grill – Corner of Av. 15 and Benito Juarez - Tortilla soup, seafood soup, Garlic shrimp, sonora shrimp

**El Moro – back in the hood (by my house :)…just tell the taxi driver the name of the restaurant - I LOVE this place. Consomme de Moro, Shrimp on a wire, Mole Enchiladas

*100% Tacos – Av. 30 between Benito Juarez and Calle 2 (across from San Francisco) - dinner only

*Las Palmas (cocina economica) – corner of Av. 25 and Calle 3 - lunch only - Pollo Relleno or the daily special

*Sabores – cocina economica – Av. 5 between Calle 3 and Calle 5 - lunch only - daily special

*Chilangos – Av. 10 between Calle 11 and Calle 15 - lunch only - daily special

*Los Seras – Corner of Av. 30 and Calle 3 - dinner only - tacos al pastor with pineapple and cilantro

*Super Hit – Corner of Av. 30 and Adolpho Rosada Salas - great tortas (sandwiches)

*Camilo’s – one of my very favorites! Seafood tacos and tortas

Av 5 between Calle 2 and Calle 4 - Shrimp tacos or tortas

**** Guido’s – Main waterfront between Calle 6 and Calle 8 - closed Sundays - Calzones or daily seafood special, Beef or wahoo carpaccio w/hot sauce, garlic bread - and EXCELLENT Sangria!

**** French Quarter – Av. 5 between Adolpho Rosada Salas and Calle 3 - dinner only - prives have really gone up here so I don't go very often - Pork tenderloin, Chicken Orleans, or Filet

***Especias – Corner of Av. 10 and Calle 5 - don't miss this place - Thai shrimp special or cilantro chicken or fish

**Casa Denis - just off the main square between Av. 5 and Av. 10 - if you can find the square, ask anyone where Casa Denis is and they'll be able to show you - Enchiladas Suizas, Avocado soup

****Mesa 17 - Calle 17 between Av. 20 and Av. 25, where La Cocay used to be - Outstanding! mnu changes, so just trust the chef :) - Blue Cheese and Pear Salad is to die for

***Prima - Corner of Av. 5 and Adolpho Rosada Salas - upstairs - Lobster ravioli, steak/lobster, Lobster Diabla

*La Mission on 30th - NOT the one downtown and NOT Casa Mission back on 50th. Those are both tourist traps, but The Mission on 30th between Calle 2 and Calle 4 is great for tacos and basic Mexican food

Thanks for the recommendations!

• 1 month later...
........*La Mission on 30th - NOT the one downtown and NOT Casa Mission back on 50th. Those are both tourist traps, but The Mission on 30th between Calle 2 and Calle 4 is great for tacos and basic Mexican food
On another forum I just read this:
In Cozumel, there is a resturant called Casa Mission Restaurant, where filet mignon and lobster dinners are $22.00 pp. FABULOUS FOOD!
Do you think this is the same place you call a tourist trap?

BTW, thanks for the great list!

John

Casa Denis...

Great food, great prices and wonderful service. We took a photo of ourselves there and when we returned the year after we brought the picture with us to give to the waiter. Our waiter, Balthesar, was so excited that he hung it up!

Archived