I don't know what to do in grand cayman

angel54321

You can email him at elechmw@hotmail.com

I found him by going to the booth there when you get off the boat. There was a little booth next to a big open sided tent. I think they have several independent tour guides that work for them.

He does the $20 tour that goes all over the island. It goes to the rum factory outlet, the governor's house, Hell, the dolphin swim, turtle farm historic homes and the beach. So if that email doesn't work, you can still find the tour. He just bent over backward to make sure we had a good time.

Carnival Destiny jan 2010

Carnival Liberty 9/28/13

Carnival Victory 10/5/13

Carnival Sensation 3/9/14

Carnival Sensation 3/14/14

Our 2nd trip trip to GC and as stated previously, I don't want to swim with the Rays, but don't want to stay on the ship. We are going to have a couple of beach days, not interested in another one. Come on folks, share your secrets. I know this beautiful island has more to do. I would love to take an island tour but DH is so concerned about touring alone.

I did read your post about feeling safe there. Last time we walked around the port, snorkled at the port but would rather see the are. DH is wearing me out suggesting an expensive ship excursion

I am open to suggestions and appreciate them.

I know this beautiful island has more to do. I would love to take an island tour but DH is so concerned about touring alone.

I did read your post about feeling safe there.

Out of curiosity, what's his concern about touring alone?

There are lots of things to see on land, many of which have been mentioned in this and the other threads in this forum. However, to do most of them you're going to have to book one of the island tours (either through the ship or with a private vendor) or you're going to have to rent a car and drive around on your own. (Well, in theory you could taxi or bus, but that would be fairly inconvenient if you want to visit multiple places.)

It would also help if you offered more info on what does interest you, if the beach and/or stingrays don't... :D

Our tour wasn't alone. There was 20 or so on the bus. There are several such buses, but Michael was absolutely awesome. We got into watch the dolphins for free but it costs to swim with them (don't remember price, but it was less than ship excursion). Turtles were $12 I think just to get in. We didn't go in. Michael told us that he could get us into the turtles for less than regular price, which I think was $16. The lady came over to ask him how many he had. Turtles and dolphins are across the street from one another.

Carnival Liberty 9/28/13

Carnival Victory 10/5/13

Carnival Sensation 3/14/14

Safety and unknown. We are young seniors and if our DD and her husband were with us? No problem. LOL. We love the historical things, old homes, churches, museums, those sort of things. I don't dislike turtles and rays, but not on this trip. Any reputable island tour recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks so much

• 3 months later...

When you get off the boat, there is a shopping area right there. There are a few tour kiosks right there. You can decide which one you want. The fans that serve them are right there. The drivers are all licensed. There's nothing cheesy about it. If you join the roll call of your cruise you may find a couple of people from the cruise to go in a group. They wait to run the bus until they have a full bus. There's a big tent there to wait to stay out of the sun.

Carnival Liberty 9/28/13

Carnival Victory 10/5/13

Carnival Sensation 3/13/14

Carnival Splendor 11/1/14

Look for an island tour that includes Pedro St James. That's the big historical site on the island, but you'd need an excursion (or rental car) to get there.

There's also a museum downtown within easy walking distance of the port.

Cayman is not your stereotypical port like Jamaica or Mexico. It's very, very safe, with a high standard of living. You're likely safer travelling on your own there than you would be in a large US city like NYC or LA. As a single female, I often spend whole weeks on the island alone, in a much more remote area, and I've never felt the least bit unsafe.

Edited by bookbabe

We purchased an island tour on the pier for $20 pp. It took us to see the dolphins (or we could have paid the entrance fee to the turtle farm and did that) the Tortola Rum Factory, Hell, and final stop was 7 mile beach where he dropped us off for a couple of hours at the public portion of the beach and came back to take us back to the ship. Well worth $20 pp.

Rumor had it there was one, but I never read anything about it after the people were supposed to go! Sounds like a great business venture to me!

There is a Party Bus Tour @ discountexcursions.com that goes to Seven Fathoms Rum/Cayman Islands Brewery/Pirates Cove among other places. Free shots and beer along the way!

Safety and unknown. We are young seniors and if our DD and her husband were with us? No problem. LOL. We love the historical things, old homes, churches, museums, those sort of things. I don't dislike turtles and rays, but not on this trip. Any reputable island tour recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks so much

FYI, Grand Cayman is Extremely safe to venture out on your own!! The only thing you really have to worry about is getting hit by a car (there's a lot of traffic) and not making it back to the ship on time because you are enjoying yourself too much!!

I liked the beach there at the Governor's house there weren't many people and you could sit back in the shade if you wanted to. Don't sit on the governors chaise lounges though. Security will chase you off.

Carnival Liberty 9/28/13

Carnival Victory 10/5/13

Carnival Sensation 3/13/14

Carnival Splendor 11/1/14

We're also looking for ideas but we have only grown kids and older folks, no young children. Been to GC before and shopped, snorkeled, swam (shopping is top notch!) Had booked an island tour that was canceled. Any suggestions? DH is a FL guy and says GC water too cold :eek:

Where's the good shopping? Never been and going in December. Probably going to do the Stingray City Sandbar but would love to do a little shopping, too!

Many years ago we went to the turtle farm which we like, and also Hell. As for Hell, it is just a big black rock. We don't plan to go back to either of those places.

We are not into snorkling, but like the beach. Can we take a Taxi to 7 Mile beach, and if so, what is the cost?

What else is there a MUST to see at Grand Cayman?

We were in Georgetown Jan 14th, spent the morning on the beach at Smith Cove, took a cab to Royal Palms had lunch and spent the afternoon on 7 mile beach. Two completely different beach experiences but both awesome. Tough to beat.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a good time at the Turtle Farm and it was very family friendly.

We had booked a combo tour with the stingrays first, then the Turtle Farm. It worked out perfectly because we still had time before and after the tour to wonder around. I never felt unsafe in Grand Cayman, even exploring the streets on our own.

There was quite a bit to entertain us at the Turtle Farm. We enjoyed the beachy area and swimming in the lagoon., as well as doing the tour where you can learn about and hold the different turtles of different sizes. The bird area was nice too.

Tip for those people who would like to do the Stingray City: Book the earliest time that you can comfortably book. We got off the ship on one of the second tender and were docked before the shops and stands were even open at the port. We were the first boat out there and it was AWESOME to watch the rays flock to us. As we were preparing to leave, there were tons of boats pulling up and it looked like it was about to get crazy and crowded. I loved our early experience!

We had a good time at the Turtle Farm and it was very family friendly.

We had booked a combo tour with the stingrays first, then the Turtle Farm. It worked out perfectly because we still had time before and after the tour to wonder around. I never felt unsafe in Grand Cayman, even exploring the streets on our own.

There was quite a bit to entertain us at the Turtle Farm. We enjoyed the beachy area and swimming in the lagoon., as well as doing the tour where you can learn about and hold the different turtles of different sizes. The bird area was nice too.

Tip for those people who would like to do the Stingray City: Book the earliest time that you can comfortably book. We got off the ship on one of the second tender and were docked before the shops and stands were even open at the port. We were the first boat out there and it was AWESOME to watch the rays flock to us. As we were preparing to leave, there were tons of boats pulling up and it looked like it was about to get crazy and crowded. I loved our early experience!

Can I asked who you booked this combo tour through? This is what we are interested in doing as well....and which came first, the Stingrays or the Turtle farm...?

just got done reading a bad review and now I'm wishing I'd picked the Belize trip instead. Going with the family (their second cruise).

Can you help me open my mind up again about this destination.

I know my oldest 23 year old loves turtles can you tell me more?

just got done reading a bad review and now I'm wishing I'd picked the Belize trip instead. Going with the family (their second cruise).

Can you help me open my mind up again about this destination.

I know my oldest 23 year old loves turtles can you tell me more?

Could you explain what the review said that's turned you off? It's kind of tough to argue the good if we don't know exactly what the bad things were?

Personally, DH and I love the Cayman Islands. We first visited on a cruise, on our honeymoon close to 20 years ago. We visited Stingray City on a cramped "cattle car" excursion, and still loved it. We went back for a long weekend land-based vacation, and then for a week long stay. Around the time of Hurricane Ivan, we started looking at property, bought a lot and built a house out at Rum Point. We've been visiting multiple times a year since then, for anywhere from a weekend to a month at a time. We still love it as much as we did on our first visit.

Friendly, polite people. Gorgeous beaches and fantastic weather. Interesting attractions. Good food...omg, the food. Clean water and North American-style amenities. Safe environments to relax in, without beach vendors, scammers or other undesirables. What's not to love?

Yes, it's expensive. That's a big complaint you hear a lot, and it's 100% true. But I'd rather pay extra and be safe walking the beach on my own and not get sick drinking the water, than save a few bucks but put my life/health at risk.

Is it for everyone? No, probably not. It's a pretty conservative island, and you're not going to find the drink-your-face-off party scene that's common in some ports. Is it for me? Absolutely. It's my favourite vacation destination, bar none, and we hope to retire there someday.

Edited by bookbabe

We purchased an island tour on the pier for $20 pp. It took us to see the dolphins (or we could have paid the entrance fee to the turtle farm and did that) the Tortola Rum Factory, Hell, and final stop was 7 mile beach where he dropped us off for a couple of hours at the public portion of the beach and came back to take us back to the ship. Well worth $20 pp.

Sounds right up my alley.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

just proves again that not everyone is suited to everywhere. The short version is it had to do with a particular tour company.

I'm trying to venture out and not just do the cruise excursions because I've learned you can save money this way. It's been compared to Belize. We're taking our kids with us at Christmas and the 3 adults are all unemployed and I'm trying to figure out what can be done to make everyone happy and not cost a ton (son's not much into the beach, oldest daughter likes turtles).

Is there anywhere you'd say is a treasure. We would forgo eating because I'm vegetarian and we stuff ourselves for breakfast on the ship then because dinner is late we eat lunch when we get back on board.

We were just in St. Lucia and did the cruise tour and spent 4 1/2 hours in a tour bus. Just not too much fun to me . . . and we weren't even going to a beach.

This was one of the excursions that I actually booked through the ship. I think it is called the Stingray Encounter & Turtle Swim.

The key is going to the stingrays first (before every boat on the island gets there to crowd the area). I have seen pictures with tons of boats and people in a small area and that was different from my experience.

With the priority tendering through the ship, we were off the ship and heading to our boat in no time. I am not typically a fan of ship excursions, but this one was great.

just proves again that not everyone is suited to everywhere. The short version is it had to do with a particular tour company.

I'm trying to venture out and not just do the cruise excursions because I've learned you can save money this way. It's been compared to Belize. We're taking our kids with us at Christmas and the 3 adults are all unemployed and I'm trying to figure out what can be done to make everyone happy and not cost a ton (son's not much into the beach, oldest daughter likes turtles).

Is there anywhere you'd say is a treasure. We would forgo eating because I'm vegetarian and we stuff ourselves for breakfast on the ship then because dinner is late we eat lunch when we get back on board.

We were just in St. Lucia and did the cruise tour and spent 4 1/2 hours in a tour bus. Just not too much fun to me . . . and we weren't even going to a beach.

:grin: If you spent 4.5 hours in a bus, you'd do a couple full laps around Grand Cayman.

Stingray City is the island's biggest attraction, and it's our must-do every trip. There's nothing more awesome than being surrounded by wild stingrays, while standing in waist deep water out in the ocean. This has to be an excursion, though.

Check out the info on the turtle farm for your daughter, maybe just doing the turtles only to save money rather than the full park. There's a car museum nearby if some of your party aren't into the turtles, and a dolphin encounter (but it's kind of pricy). You can get a taxi there fairly easily if you don't want a tour. Lots of tours will combine the stingrays with the turtles or an island tour, which is easier maybe.

Another option is to rent a car and explore. Visit smaller beaches and sightsee on your own schedule. Stop at the Pedro St James historical site or the botanical gardens, take pics at the blowholes, etc.

There's also excellent free snorkelling right by the port area at Paradise Grill and Eden Rock. You can rent gear or bring your own.

If you're on a budget, you probably want to skip shopping, unless it's just window shopping. :grin: There's some very pretty jewelry to look at, though.

When is your port stop? There are some things that will be closed Christmas Day...