Where to stay in Rome

Tiggertastic

Looking for a place for 4 nights, either a hotel or apartment - any recommendations please for somewhere that is around or less than £100 ($150) a night for 2 people. Looking for something clean and either near attractions or a metro station within 5 minutes walk

have searched the board and trip advisor but looking for recommendations from those on CC

thanks

Looking for a place for 4 nights, either a hotel or apartment - any recommendations please for somewhere that is around or less than £100 ($150) a night for 2 people. Looking for something clean and either near attractions or a metro station within 5 minutes walk

have searched the board and trip advisor but looking for recommendations from those on CC

thanks

I have rented an apartment for three nights in the Campo Di Fiori area for 100 Euro a night for the first of November. The location is perfect and it appears to be a real nice place. I did it through VRBO. Just search the area that interests you. Not sure of your time frame so that could impact the cost. Larry

There's a big difference between 150 pounds (about $300) and $150. :confused: You might find it difficult, depending on the season, to get something in the central area (nicest location around the vicinity of the Pantheon extending to Trevi Fountain on one side and to Piazza Navona on the other) for $150 per night in a hotel. If you stay in this area, you can walk virtually anywhere in the Centro Historico (the Historic Center) of Rome. The Vatican would be the outlier but still doable via a 30-40 minute walk, depending where you are in the Center.

Termini, in the vicinity of the main train station (and a large metro station where the two main lines cross), should have a number of hotels in that $150 range, but the tradeoff is that it's not such a beautiful area. Look in the area of the Opera as the best "around Termini" location. One hotel in that area I've stayed in is Hotel Sonya; it was fine but nothing outstanding.

Like others I highly recommend the center.

thanks

Again, I remind people to always post the dates they will be there....this is very important since prices for hotels/apartments can vary GREATLY from low season to high season ! We can better help if we have this information.

There are numerous sites to search for an apartment (we are using one again in October from Sleep in Italy) I think you will get a better idea of what you can get if you look around a bit on your own. Try these:

VRBO

Homeaway

SleepinItaly

Cyberrentals

These are ones we have used and have always been very happy with our apartment (whether in Rome or elsewhere) Add a dot com at the end of each.

I also would suggest you narrow down your "target area" and be a bit more specific since you could get suggestions from "all over the place"........ We prefer the Pantheon/Piazza Navonna area - its just sooo central !

Thank you everyone for your help

the current exchange rate for £100 is $150 and there seems to be lots from the sites that you have provided (I had never heard of any of them) so much appreciated.

Looking at the dates that we plan to be there has brought up lots and lots of options for us.

the current exchange rate for £100 is $150 and there seems to be lots from the sites that you have provided (I had never heard of any of them) so much appreciated.

Looking at the dates that we plan to be there has brought up lots and lots of options for us.

There are even more sites than that....... but I only provided the ones I have actually dealt with......

Also, read the reviews provided with the rental on those sites BUT THEN go to Tripadvisor and read those reviews. Tripadvisor reviews have no connection to the rentals so might perhaps be more realistic.

Also if you find a couple that look good - come back here and ask about them..... you MIGHT get some "personal" experience response from someone who has stayed there - or at least some feedback on the location.

Have fun - research and planning is half the fun of the trip :D

1. VRBO Listing #221275 this is the apt i have rented for Nov.

Whoops!

That should teach me not to post before I've had some caffeine in the morning. Apologies for misreading what you posted AND doing an incorrect exchange in my (muddled) head.

Last year (August 2012) pre cruise we stayed one night at the IQ Hotel in Via Firenze, and would use it again if we ever get back to Rome. Spacious quiet room. Vending machines with drinks and snacks, which was very convenient. Breakfast was available on the roof terrace, but we didn't partake. Five minute walk from the Termini station, or 10 minutes with luggage - the pavements are a bit uneven for wheeling suitcases quickly! Very convenient for train from airport and train to Civitavecchia for our cruise. We paid NZ$235 for the night, booked via their website, which was cheaper than other sites I checked at the time. From the hotel we walked everywhere - Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps, Colosseum, Castel Sant'Angelo, etc etc. Didn't use the metro at all.

A few years ago we stayed at Hotel Sonya, near Termini. Cost was 142 euros per night (if paying cash) and included breakfast. There is transit nearby but it is also walkable - we did not use transit our first day there and saw a large chunk of the "must sees". This hotel is also recommended by Rick Steves.

Check out Relais Teatro Argentina--perfect location close to everything! 5 minutes to Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiore, etc. We absolutely loved being so central, will always stay in this area in the future having done it now.

We also stayed in the Hotel Sonya and were very pleased. It was filled with lots of Rick Steves and Cruise Critic fans and a large number of them (most) were on our sailing so it was lots of fun to have breakfast and impromptu wine in the afternoon with them. The wifi worked great and the staff was excellent and very helpful and tolerant of all of our "jubilation".

Here is the info from my reservation, double bed:

Also,we reconfirm the price for this room: Euro 136.00

( if you pay in cash , y'll get more 8% discount from this rates )

with breakfast, private bath with shower, hair dryer, mini safe,

mini bar, air conditioning, direct dial phone and satellite color

television. And all taxes including ( except the new city tax ) * ,

each day.

Archived