My father died on Millenium cruise; having problems w/customer care; help?

sea0tter12

I am so sorry for the loss of your father. I have nothing to add to the subject of the thread because I have not had any experience with losing anything on a cruise but I feel compelled to offer my sincerest and deepest sympathies for you profound loss. How tragic. I hope the memories you have of your beloved father stay with you through the years and lift you up in your moments of sadness.

Sorry for your loss. I lost my father some years ago and I still think of him

I had to leave a cruise because my aunt had died - my mother (her sister) was travelling with me

We had paid for the cruise with a credit card and the travel insurance that was automatic through this card reimbursed the rest of our trip and the cost of the flight home. I just though maybe if you had paid with a cc may be it may may travel insurance

cruise love

A few years ago my husband also had to leave the ship (day 2/10) because of a death in the family, however his CC company would not reimburse him the remaining cruise fare. Apparently the ENTIRE trip including flights had to be booked on the same card. I had booked the flights using points and had used my CC for the taxes and fees while he had paid for the cruise portion using his CC. I know every credit card is different, just putting this out there for people to read the small print on their CC contracts if they intend to use it as insurance.

Hey y'all, just an update. Just got off the phone a bit ago with the person who's been helping me. They've looked through their warehouse and whatnot, and our stuff is pretty much gone. She told me the stuff that isn't claimed is donated, not thrown away.

They are going to reimburse us $300 for our clothing, and they are ordering the Ulu knives that I believe are matches for the ones we had picked out before. It won't be the same, but there isn't much to do at this point.

They have also offered us each a $1,000 future cruise certificate. I honestly don't know if we'll use them right now, but we'll talk about it at some point later on. Getting on another cruise ship might be too painful for some time, I think.

What I really hope they do get out of all of this is a more streamlined process for when this happens. Better education and training of the people on the emergency care team would have kept this from happening, and we wouldn't have been given the incorrect information that led to all of this.

Thanks for all of your kind words and helpful suggestions; we may still pursue the CC options for reimbursement of expenses not covered by the travel insurance.

Thanks for the update. Sorry they were not able to locate your belongings, but it seems their compensation offer was fair - definitely not as good as you receiving the items with sentimental value, but nevertheless a nice gesture by the cruise line. I agree that it would be great if they learn from this how to handle the situation better in the future. Best wishes in your time of mourning.

We are already having to deal with so much stuff, and nearly everyone we have had to interact with, from Celebrity Cruise, to the travel insurance provided by Celebrity Cruise, to the people in Alaska issuing his death certificate, etc., have really made this a lot harder and a lot more difficult.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Please accept my condolences.

A tip for the future: One thing we have learned is to never, never take out travel insurance from the cruise line. We always go to Travel Guard or another independent insurer. You have far fewer headaches that way.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Please accept my condolences.

A tip for the future: One thing we have learned is to never, never take out travel insurance from the cruise line. We always go to Travel Guard or another independent insurer. You have far fewer headaches that way.

Thanks, I think we are learning that the hard way. We honestly had never had a trip like this that required travel insurance before, so we were a bit new at this. I will keep that recommendation in mind for next time!

Archived