What is Business Casual?

msdebbe

Hello,

Recently returned from a Med. cruise onboard Liberty of the Seas. One evening was supposed to be smart casual or business casual. We saw a bit of all types of clothing on the ship. So now I am wondering since my husband has received a class reunion

invitation and it states business casual attire. I will be his "date" for the evening so want to be dressed appropriately. How do you define it for both men and woman?

Thanks for the help! I love this board.

maureencruiser's pictures pretty much 'splain business casual but what I think they're trying to get across for the reunion is, they don't want the guys showing up in cargo shorts, yucky logo tee shirts and sneakers or flip flops. I think there's a little more leeway for the women and they wouldn't expect what came up for women's business casual.

How about an invitation that said "elegant casual"?:D

Having worked in several offices that are "business casual" I can tell you my experience. For men, dress slacks or nice khaki's, long sleeve or short sleeve buttoned down collared shirts, tucked in with a belt. No jackets or ties. For women, knit or blend dresses (not sundresses), or skirts, dress slacks, with knit, cotton, or silky tops that are not necessarily collared. Pantyhose not required. When in doubt, dress "up" and you won't be out of place. Have a great time at the reunion!

Having worked in several offices that are "business casual" I can tell you my experience. For men, dress slacks or nice khaki's, long sleeve or short sleeve buttoned down collared shirts, tucked in with a belt. No jackets or ties. For women, knit or blend dresses (not sundresses), or skirts, dress slacks, with knit, cotton, or silky tops that are not necessarily collared. Pantyhose not required. When in doubt, dress "up" and you won't be out of place. Have a great time at the reunion!

I completely agree. Our office is business casual, and this rings very true to what I see daily. My daily outfit is typically a knee length dress or skirt (so not something super short that you'd expect to see on someone going "clubbing") with a blouse and/or cardigan.

My office is also business casual and I wear cotton, linen or wool pants and a twin set type outfit, or knee length skirts or dresses (I might wear sundresses, because arms aren't a problem and I always buy dresses that will cover a bra strap - no spaghetti straps for me - and I wear a cardigan at work)

For reunions, one dinner is typically a little dressier than other events so my husband will wear nice pants, button down shirt & a jacket (which he might remove after dinner for drinks and/or dancing) and I'll wear a nicer dress than I would wear for work. Not as fancy as cocktail, slightly less "evening" if you will. Afternoon summer outdoor wedding:p

Our office is business casual. The men all wear golf shirts & khakis most of the time. If they have a meeting they wear nice khakis with a button down shirt and jacket (no tie). In summer they all seem to wear deck shoes or leather shoes like Sperry Topsiders.

Women in our office wear everything from day dresses, to sundresses (with a sweater if they're really bare), to dress pants and sweaters or tops. But honestly, when the weather is hot almost every woman wears cropped pants or capris with varying tops. Depending on the climate of the reunion, you may see a lot of people really dressed down.

I would probably pick something that would fit in at a nice restaurant in your town. Many cities seem to have different vibes. People here in Atlanta and in Florida are way more casual than in other parts of the country.

Archived