New Orleans weather in January

deeolasingh

Well the weather is usually pretty cool in January down here. Not as cold as where you are from I'm sure. It will probably be in the 50's-60's during the day. Hope you have a great time down here in NOLA!

Agree, most of the time in the 50's or 60's.

We've been in New Orleans in January quite a few times for New Year's and bowl games.

Sometimes, it's been warm enough in the day not to need a jacket or sweater.

One New Year's we almost froze! :eek:

We love New Orleans! Have a great time. :)

LuLu

~~~~

• 3 weeks later...
Looking at a cruise leaving Jan 19 what will the weather be like.. I know it hard to say but from past experiences what you say?

We were there Jan 19 last year. We stayed four days and I brought spandex pants for everyone to put under their jeans to walk around at night. We ended up going out before lunch and didn't make it back to the hotel to add the extra layer and get our hats and gloves before our ghost tour. The kids really enjoyed the ghost tour but were very cold to where it was uncomfortable for them (we are from Florida). So I really wished I had put our extra layer into a backpack and brought with us.

Looking at a cruise leaving Jan 19 what will the weather be like.. I know it hard to say but from past experiences what you say?

As everyone else has said, plan easily changed layers. It can be anywhere from almost-summer-hot to freezing in January. I would also plan for it to be damp. Humidity is nearly always high in NOLA and that makes a difference in the "feels like" temperatures. It can be windy, especially along the Riverfront and wind on a cool damp day will make you feel much colder than you actually are. I'd pack a light waterproof layer as well, because it can be rainy -- from off-and-on heavy rains or just an all-day drip. It may be quite foggy in the mornings and evenings/overnight as well. January falls right in the middle of the October to April fog season.

Sturdy shoes are also a good choice. The best advice I have ever seen -- do not wear fragile or hard to clean shoes when walking around the French Quarter. Save open toes for at home.

Archived