Getting from cruise port in Marseille to Aix

Pearl64

We will be coming to Marseille on the Marina this November. We want to go to Aix for our port day (8 am to 6 pm). I know we won't have a lot of time but should have some time to explore Aix and soak up the French experience. My question is how to do this using public transportation. I know we need to get to the train station and then train to Aix Central. What is the best way to do this? Taxi to train station or other means? We know to watch our time coming back and know we could take a taxi back to the ship from the train station in Marseille if we find we are running late. We had considered going to Cassis but decided against it as we thought Mid November weather would not be optimal. I did a search for this but other than ship shuttle did not see how to get to the train station. Is the bus also an option and where is the bus station in Marseille and Aix?

Thanks for all responses.

Pearl

Actually, with an 8 - 6 port call you should have plenty of time to enjoy Aix..which is less then an hour away from Marseille. Your first issue (which you mention) is getting between the port and the St Charles Train Station. The fastest way is to simply take a taxi from the port (assuming you can find a taxi to do that short haul). Another option is to use the shuttle bus (provided for all cruises....and can either be free or cost $3 -$10) into Marseille. The shuttle will drop you at the old port area where you would still have about a 15 -20 min walk to the train station (or you can try to find a taxi or even use a local bus). Once at the station you simply purchase your train ticket and make sure you validate it (by inserting it into the validation machine) before you get on the train.

One other option, not often mentioned, is that there are also frequent public buses running between Marseille and Aix (the buses can be almost as fast as the trains). Since the bus station is right outside at the train station that is also something to check in the event that you would have a long wait for a train.

Hank

Thank you, Hank, for your response. Do we need to get tickets ahead of time or on the day? Also, are there any reduced fares for senior citizens? I know many countries do not discount for foreigners and that the senior age varies from country to country. I think when we went to Giverny we got a reduced rate.

Thanks.

Pearl

No need to buy tickets for either the trains or buses in advance. In France there are often reduced fares for Seniors...but the rules seem to vary. Sometimes it will be 60 and sometimes 65. There are also times when they will only give discounts to citizens of an EU country. Whenever we buy a train ticket we always ask for a Senior rate and just see what happens :)

Regarding the question about bathrooms on buses (this is a question DW is always asking) we do not know for sure. But on such a short route (Marseille to Aix) the answer may well be no. If this is an important issue you certainly should take a look at the buses before you buy a ticket...or just take the train where they always have something that is supposed to be a bathroom :)

Hank

We were in Marseilles in June on Riviera. There was a free shuttle bus into the center of the city. The port area is very industrial. The train/bus station was a 15 minute walk. I don't know how you would get a taxi from the shuttle drop off spot, so we walked and it wasn't bad. They had maps of the city onboard and we had it marked. We had intended to take the train, but there was a strike that day. A lovely young woman heard us talking about what to do then and told us about the bus to Aix. The buses run every 20 minutes I believe and we ended up on a direct bus so it only took about 35 minutes. You paid the driver on the bus as you boarded -- 5.20 Euros each way. To answer a previous poster's question -- there is no bathroom on the bus, but it was clean and comfortable. There are bathrooms (you have to pay of course!) in the station. The bus station is attached to the train station in Marseilles. The drop off location in Aix was good, and we walked right past a tourist info office on our way into the center of town and got a map -- which we had them mark with the return location for the bus (different than the drop off!). Aix was delightful. It was nice that the transit time wasn't too long, so we still were able to go up to the Notre Dame church when we got back to Marseilles -- bus 60 takes you to the top of the hill. The tickets are good for an hour so we used it on the way down as well. I assume you will also have to be back on for a 6 pm sail away, so it isn't as long a day as many of the other ports were.

• 3 weeks later...

Buses from Marseille to Aix run every 5 minutes during peak hours. I've found them faster and more reliable than the train. Be sure to get the fast service (bus no. 50) and not the stopping service (bus no. 51). Aix en Provence bus station is currently being completely refurbished, which may account for the fact that the bus stops aren't in the usual places!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The port is on the western side in an area called Joliette. Across the road are big old warehouses laced with nice shops and restaurants serving the workers in the offices. It is a nicely done renewal area with modern apts and hotels AND importantly, a clean, inexpensive new Tram right into the center (la Canabiere). This boulevard runs uphill from the old port and off to the left branches off to Gare st Charles. Not a big hill, I have walked it.

Remember that it is a holiday Toussaint, or all Saints Day, and lots of things will be closed. Street markets in all the villages, and in Marseille, will be open, as will food shops (some) until noon. You will see locals doing recreational things, like Parc Borely (like the Luxembourg Gardens). You can find the street market days by googling it. Use terms like Bouches du Rhone or the number 13. Central Marseille is zip 13001, for example. You can google a map (one for hotel bookings is good with movable interactive maps) and get the layout of port to tram..just move from the center to the left side.

I am not sure if I can put this here, but the tourist office site is http://www.marseille.fr/sitevdm/decouvrir-marseille/les-marches-de-la-ville

If you head north towards Avignon the. Dept. is 84, the Vaucluse. You can take trains there but try if you can to go to Avignon Gare Centre (not Gare TGV which is on the edge but does have a shuttle for about a Euro) There is a completely walled town, the famous Pope's Palace..don t go in unless you are a history buff: it is empty and devoid of anything but walls. from the station (Gare) head across the street and up the main st past the tourist office you will get to the Palais de Pape and can walk over to the Dame des Roches for views over the Rhone and the famous Pont St. Benezet, which is the half bridge (flood, long ago) that all French kids, and French students everywhere, sing about. You can walk along the Rhone but remember that food is in Avignon, not by the river. You might see a Viking Cruise ship or two out there..this is west of the walled town.

Aix en Provence is another obvious destination by train or bus. It is a gorgeous university town and the Cours Mirabeau one of the most beautiful avenues in France.

If you want to rent a car, head up the Autoroute direction Lyon, get off at Cavaillon, then follow signs towards Cheval Blanc, Mallemort, Lauris, PERTUIS, and in about five miles from Cavaillon, look for signs to Lourmarin. They have a great Friday market and the town is iconic Provence, though it is not a hill village. Albert Camus is buried in the town Cemetary, there is a chateau, and plenty of little bisrots and cafes. One could spend a nice morning there. the market ends at noon. Lourmarin is in the southern Luberon. If you want to see the hill villages, at Cavaillon follow signs in the direction APT and keep along the D900 where you willsee signs for Menerbes, laCoste, Bonnieux on the south slopes, and Gordes and Rousillon on the north. Don't come to my village, Goult: we try to keep it a secret! LOL

Don't come to my village, Goult: we try to keep it a secret! LOL

Well, you should carefully guard secrets. We are currently planning a long driving trip in France and will probably rent an apartment in or near Avignon for 1-2 weeks (we had an apartment in St Remy on a previous trip). But now, we are really looking forward to driving over to Goult :)

Hank

Archived