Splendor Review July 12-20, 2013 – with pictures!

sailorJo

Thanks for this photo which gives us different perspective on our trip. For a few minutes, I thought you might have a shot of me under that first green roofed building but after looking at my photos, I had on a white shirt that day. None of the white shirts appear to be me. We visited Freeport before Nassau, Little Stirrup Cay then day at sea. So I guess you don't know anything about 3 people missing the ship? Anyway, thanks for that picture and here are a few of your ship at port and leaving port that day.

Aww, thanks. Makes me feel sea-sick...in a good sense :p

okay, okay, enough with my puns, already :o

I'm a little confused. I think I read in your review that you can get to the Black Pearl DR by using the middle elevators (ones near 7338). But I thought I remembered reading in other posts that you must use the forward elevators to enter the Black Pearl DR, b/c the rear doors to that DR (near the middle elevators) are closed. Which is correct? We are on the 8/21 sailing on the Splendor and our room is right near the middle elevators. I thought we had to go to the forward elevators to get to that DR since we have YTD. Thanks.

I'm a little confused. I think I read in your review that you can get to the Black Pearl DR by using the middle elevators (ones near 7338). But I thought I remembered reading in other posts that you must use the forward elevators to enter the Black Pearl DR, b/c the rear doors to that DR (near the middle elevators) are closed. Which is correct? We are on the 8/21 sailing on the Splendor and our room is right near the middle elevators. I thought we had to go to the forward elevators to get to that DR since we have YTD. Thanks.

You have to take the elevators that go down to the lobby, that's the best way I can describe it. The entrance to the Black Pearl is next to the art gallery. We were in 7367 and they were the elevators closest to us.

This is also confusing to me. We sailed on the Splendor in May & were in a forward cabin #2271 which was near the forward elevators & stairs which led directly to the Atrium Lobby & the entrance to the Black Pearl Dining Room.

The hallway carpeting needs refurbishing, which was stained and run down but I thought the rest of the areas were ship-shape (pun not intended).

I wonder if they are replacing the carpet floor by floor when they get the chance. I thought the carpet outside our cabin on deck 6 looked fairly new. Another possibility is that it doesn't get much traffic because it was at the aft end of the ship.

I don't think I was on deck 7 at all.

Other minor complaints:

- Whatever happened to the menus displayed outside the main dining rooms? I always get a kick out of going to check out the dinner choices during the day and I missed this.

Just an FYI to those who will be sailing on the Splendor - the menus are on the TV and they were kind of a pain to get to. We also like having them outside the dining room, but I guess they figure you will find them on the TV!

Thanks for your review - it's always interesting seeing things through other eyes. I did really like the Splendor and I can't wait to sail on her again!

I miss the dining room menus as well. I was on the Splendor in June and wondered what happen to them.

Crazy kids on board, and with jelly beans. LOL! One reason I do not travel in the summer or during breaks. Kids can be well behaved, however, when there are groups of them they get a lot of "energy". :p

They did do a lot of karaoke now that you mention it, but there were always a good crowd participating.

Thanks for the review!

Just an FYI to those who will be sailing on the Splendor - the menus are on the TV and they were kind of a pain to get to. We also like having them outside the dining room, but I guess they figure you will find them on the TV!

Thanks for your review - it's always interesting seeing things through other eyes. I did really like the Splendor and I can't wait to sail on her again!

Kath, I tried to view them on tv but wasn't successful. I went through all the settings over and over - nothing!

4hunters, I grew up in Africa - must be the African in me :)

I thought the Moroccan lounge was very well done as well, and much nicer than the rest of the ship.

We were on the same sailing as you, but I haven't had time to finish writing my review yet.

I'm sure I'll be contributing here as I read along.

One word about the pools. They were always so crowded the water after a while looked cloudy and uninviting. This is the first time on a cruise that I didn’t use the pools. The usual chair hogs (can’t get away from those, no matter which ship you’re on). Someone reserved a row of 5 chairs. We were there from 8:30 to 12:30 and no one ever showed up to occupy them.

We loved the Serenity area and the view was magnificent. We spent a lot of time here.

Yes, those pools were disgusting, especially the adults only pool in the aft. Blech. We used the main pool most mornings around 8 because it was empty, then we got the kids out and off to camp.

My only regret - it didn't have an ironing room, only a laundry room with no ironing board. I had to run up to deck 8 to iron DH's shirts.

The carpeting needs to be replaced, that's for sure. I noticed the carpeting by the spa cabins was in much better shape and they were constantly vacuuming.

Rock the Boat is a liquor they served in the MDR one night (they should put a warning sign on that bottle, lol!). Each night they serve a different one ($). That's the only one I tried, though. I was wondering why the waiter was looking at me funny. When I asked why they call it that he spread out his arms and started to stumble from side to side...Unfortunately I got the message too late, lol!

Enjoy your cruise!

We were on Deck 6 (Upper) and the ironing room was right down the hall from us. I would have traded laundry for ironing!

I tried a Rock the Boat on the lemon night. So good!

This is also confusing to me. We sailed on the Splendor in May & were in a forward cabin #2271 which was near the forward elevators & stairs which led directly to the Atrium Lobby & the entrance to the Black Pearl Dining Room.

Are these the "glass elevators"? We are assigned to the Black Pearl for dining and I can already picture us getting lost. LOL

Are these the "glass elevators"? We are assigned to the Black Pearl for dining and I can already picture us getting lost. LOL

Yes, these are the glass elevators. They exit on deck 3 in the Atrium Lobby which is right in front of the entrance to the Black Pearl Dining Room which is used for anytime dining.

Yes, these are the glass elevators. They exit on deck 3 in the Atrium Lobby which is right in front of the entrance to the Black Pearl Dining Room which is used for anytime dining.

Thank you so much. At least now I will be able to find the dining room. :D

Kath, I tried to view them on tv but wasn't successful. I went through all the settings over and over - nothing!

It was kind of a pain. I don't remember how we had to get to it, but it was a LOT of clicks and they didn't all make sense. I knew they were there and I was determined to find them :D

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. Doing a review is a nice way of giving back for all the great tips and advice contributed to these boards.

nice review....I think It would be pretty cool to cruise out of NYC to see all the landmarks

I see some of these landmarks every day commuting to and from work but seeing them from aboard a cruise ship is so much more fun and interesting. NYC is one of the best departure ports, in my opinion, with so much to see and comment on.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived