Sailing Sydney to Perth

Ok, this may be a really dumb question, but I can't find any answers anywhere. I have booked on Voyager for March 14. The cruise goes from Sydney, around NZ, via Melbourne, Adelaide to Perth. I just wondered out of Melbourne, do the ships sail in close enough to make out the 12 Apostles, and the same with the Australian Bite? Being notorious shipwreck areas, I'm not expecting them to get right up close, but just wondered for all those sea days in between if land is visible or not.

Kylie

Hi Kylie,

When you leave Melbourne it takes a good 2 hours to get across Port Phillip Bay and then through the heads and into the ocean. It will probably be dark by then and even if you were near the 12 Apostles , you would not see them. However on the sea day between Melbourne and Adelaide you do sail close enough to see land .

From Adelaide its then a straight line across the Bight and I dont think you will see any land on that section.

Kylie

AS well as probably being dark, the ship would be well out to sea when it past the Shipwreck Coast. The ship has to head a fair way south from Port Phillip Heads to get around Cape Otway. The only land you would see would probably be the Cape Otway Lighthouse which is still about 100km east of the Shipwreck Coast.

Likewise coming into Melbourne you remain a fair way south until you pass Wilsons Promontory. Our beach house at Phillip Island looks out over the Southern Ocean and we can see cruise ships heading to NZ in summer and it is amazing how far out to sea they have gone in the short distance from Port Phillip Bay to Phillip Island,

I thought with some of the apostles falling down they were renamed the seven dwarves.:D

I understood that there are new ones being "born" as the coast crumbles away.

I understood that there are new ones being "born" as the coast crumbles away.

I don't know about that but it wouldn't surprise me as the coastline is constantly changing. I suppose they would be acolytes before becoming fully fledged apostles.:D

I think it will be years and even more years before the coast crumbles away to form any more 'Apostles'. Last time we were there, there were only nine still standing.

Yes, the erosion will take many years to form new complete stand alone structures. How long ago were you there? I thought I had read that more had crumbled into the sea.:D

Yes, the erosion will take many years to form new complete stand alone structures. How long ago were you there? I thought I had read that more had crumbled into the sea.:D

We have been there several times over the last forty years, the last time was around four years ago.

As a child we used to almost travel across the Great Ocean Highway yearly to visit my Nana who lived in Melbourne (we were from Adelaide), so doesn't bother me too much. Took the kids there two years ago before they all fell over so they could see them. Just thought a different perspective view might be interesting ....

As a child we used to almost travel across the Great Ocean Highway yearly to visit my Nana who lived in Melbourne (we were from Adelaide), so doesn't bother me too much. Took the kids there two years ago before they all fell over so they could see them. Just thought a different perspective view might be interesting ....

I think it will be awhile before they are all down (2 cm erosion per year) but who knows, a huge storm may be enough for some of them.:D

Archived