Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

A very small fraction may POST, but what fraction READ? And that's where the impact comes. Readers can benefit from the information without posting.

OK "post" is not really what I intendeded. What percentage of HAL passengers are actually CC members?

I'm just curious how the group that organizes the theme cruises booking a complete HAL ships will take this change. There are quite a few coming up (and I'm booked on one) and I would think the company would be quite upset by this change. Perhaps there won't be a change as I'm sure they have signed contracts with HAL. I can only hope. Yet to be notified by HAL or the charter group yet.

As an RSVP charter cruises I don't see it being a huge issue for RSVP. RSVP cruisers don't book a charter based on the alcohol policy - there are much bigger reasons to book it. Next February's RSVP charter is on MSC's Divina; the alcohol policy had very little to do with my decision to book it or not (I had more of an issue with it not being on avdam ship). We booked it.

I'm late to the party here- planning to book an October 2013 cruise on HAL in the morning and doing some research on policies and found this. My question is - If the new policy doesn't take effect until January 2014, what is the old policy or where can I find it?

Unlimited wine? At embarkation and ports? What about hard liquor? Beer?

Thanks -

So after all the outrage and nonsense that's been going on, the sky actually isn't falling?

Did anyone stop to check facts etc before hurling abuse at HAL? (Of course not)

If only HAL could limit the amount of whine (correct spelling) some people bring on board, it would make cruising so much more pleasant!

Agree.....Oh, I am sure the complaining will go on for many months to come.

What!!!! 2014, this is not enough notice, I expect this, and I expect that, and that, and.......it will go on.

When my cruise prices go up because they can't make money off you balcony wine drinkers, let me be the first to thank you. :cool:

HAL is just doing, IMO, the "right" thing by giving us advanced notice of an upcoming change instead of an immediate change. The one bottle policy will go into effect in 6 months, the same 6 months notice they gave smokers. If this effects cruise prices then so be it.

This warrants its own thread. Though I sincerely doubt that everyone will get the same or a similar reply, seeing as someone just posted a different reply on a separate thread.

.... and this doesn't indicate that they are rethinking (YET) the "no more than one bottle per pax" limit.

Thanks for posting it!

HAL's says the same thing under policies on the Fork Booked Guests web page:

Can I Bring Alcoholic Beverages Onboard?

In an effort to standardize our policies with industry practices, Holland America Line has adopted the following policy regarding guests bringing alcoholic beverages on board their cruise, effective on sailings departing on or after January 31, 2014:

Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in their carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from guest luggage that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls or from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage. A corkage fee of US$20.00 (subject to change) applies to wine and champagne brought to the restaurants or bars for consumption. In-Room Dining offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages (a 15% Service Charge on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be added).

Guests who violate any of our alcohol policies (e.g., attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time, provide alcohol to guests under age 21, over consume, or demonstrate irresponsible behavior), may be denied boarding or may be disembarked at their

own expense.

Updated: 07/29/2013
Edited by Boytjie

If this is true, and the effective date is actually Jan 31/14, then someone on here who started this whole brou-haha made a big boo-boo by saying it came into effect on Friday, and that she had that from her inside connection. Possibly a big "Oops".

This would totally defuse the situation as most of us were upset with the arbitrary way it was dumped on us with no warning.

Or HAL walked back their original plan. ;)

Edited by Boytjie

For the first newbie to ask

"Can We Bring Wine Aboard"

It will be interesting to see how many "Yea Just slap a Luggage Tag On It"

posters chime in.

When that question has been asked it was answered with what the HAL policy was (slapping a luggage tag on a case was valid as an answer); when it is asked again I am sure the answer will reflect the new policy.

Did you expect something else to happen?

Until it's reflect in the Cruise Contract...it's not a done deal. Am I supposed to take the FB message to the port and show it to the HAL folks when they take my wine. I think not. I'm not trusting HAL too much today.

Do you always print out the cruise contract and take it with you?

It was Storyladys Post that states 2 bottles. This quote is from Cruise Critic and it has not been updated:( Jade13 did not quote this post:confused:

<SNIP>

You are absolutely right it was storylady's post but I'm referring to only Jades post where she quoted storylady & stated that Azmara does not restrict you to 2 bottles..Look back at Jades post NO 737..I pointed out to her that the post she was quoting stated 2 bottles per psgr..

However Jade pointed out to me that the Azmara wine policy had changed when they went more-inclusive..

There are so many posts on this thread that it's hard to keep track of who is thinking what..LOL

Cheers...Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

I'm late to the party here- planning to book an October 2013 cruise on HAL in the morning and doing some research on policies and found this. My question is - If the new policy doesn't take effect until January 2014, what is the old policy or where can I find it?

Unlimited wine? At embarkation and ports? What about hard liquor? Beer?

Thanks -

The current policy still in place til 2014: unlimited wine and champagne (at embarkation and at ports of call), no beer and no liquor.

The wine is for consumption in your cabin, not in public venues excpet dining areas, bars and lounges where you will be charged an $18 corkage fee.

Edited by Boytjie

So after all the outrage and nonsense that's been going on, the sky actually isn't falling?

If only HAL could limit the amount of whine (correct spelling) some people bring on board, it would make cruising so much more pleasant!

I am not sure I follow you!!!! Are you actually implying that HAL did not initially intend to immediately implement their new wine policy????? AND ....that C.C. cruisers contacting HAL had no impact on the rapid decision to delay implementation until 2014?

Also what do you mean by "hurling abuse at HAL"??? And what do you mean by "nonsense".

Unless you are joking and it is all flying right over my head...which is certainly possible, we must be talking about two different issues/threads.

The current policy still in place til 2014: unlimited wine and champagne (at embarkation and at ports of call), no beer and no liquor.

The wine is for consumption in your cabin, not in public venues excpet dining areas, bars and lounges where you will be charged an $18 corkage fee.

Thank you. And I guess soda and juice is good to bring on too?

So HAL is not backpedalling from the backlash, it's the hundreds of CCers and FBers who misread and misinterpreted the policy change they had on their website over the W/E?

If only HAL could limit the amount of whine (correct spelling) some people bring on board, it would make cruising so much more pleasant![/quote

Yes, I checked the facts. My Cruise Contract was modified to reflect the one bottle per person change. As well as the Know Before You Go brochure and the HAL alcohol policy. I did not hurl abuse.

Until it's reflect in the Cruise Contract...it's not a done deal. Am I supposed to take the FB message to the port and show it to the HAL folks when they take my wine. I think not. I'm not trusting HAL too much today.

It is in the contract. It wasn't there this afternoon, but it is there this evening under alcohol policy know before you go.

Agree.....Oh, I am sure the complaining will go on for many months to come.

What!!!! 2014, this is not enough notice, I expect this, and I expect that, and that, and.......it will go on.

If only HAL could limit the amount of whine (correct spelling) some people bring on board, it would make cruising so much more pleasant![/quote

Yes, I checked the facts. My Cruise Contract was modified to reflect the one bottle per person change. As well as the Know Before You Go brochure and the HAL alcohol policy. I did not hurl abuse.

Travel bear oz & Vines...Of course the facts were checked..When HAL was called several of the Rep's quoted the new policy effective today..It was also posted on the New Amsterdam yesterday..Read Kirk's post where I asked him exactly what the sign said..In addition no one can bring a bottle of wine on board in any port even if they are willing to pay a corkage fee..The "know before you go" on line booklet was changed & the cruise contract was modified to show that the policy was effective immediately..HAL just today stated that the effective date is now Jan 31..The "Know before you go" WEB site was updated late this afternoon EST to show an implementation date of Jan 31, 2014

Obviously you did not read all 43 pages before you started hurling your accusations to posters here!.. Suggest you get your facts straight before judging others!:mad::mad::mad:

Edited by serendipity1499