Grand Turk Experience?

TeresaMac1971

My boyfriend and I will be sailing the Carnival Breeze on Dec 7, Has anyone taken the Grand Turk Experience Tour (Air Force facility, Governor's residence, lighthouse, Salt House, etc.)? We're interested in seeing the island and love island tours, but have seen mixed reviews. . . Is this tour worth the $40? Or would we be better off just to go to the beach? We love photography (I especially love lighthouses) and learning some local history.

Thanks for any input!!! :)

My boyfriend and I will be sailing the Carnival Breeze on Dec 7, Has anyone taken the Grand Turk Experience Tour (Air Force facility, Governor's residence, lighthouse, Salt House, etc.)? We're interested in seeing the island and love island tours, but have seen mixed reviews. . . Is this tour worth the $40? Or would we be better off just to go to the beach? We love photography (I especially love lighthouses) and learning some local history.

Thanks for any input!!! :)

You can rent golf carts (Nathan) and do it on your own or get a taxi. Both would be cheaper than $80 and you wouldn't have to follow a group.

Another option is to go to the parking area which is a five minute walk from the ship and there are all sorts of tour vans and you can arrange one for just the two of you to take a tour around the island. That is what we did.

Keith

Last December we went to the Local Village Bar right on the beach and took their tour of the island for $20 and they take you around the whole island and we learned a lot and you can walk around Cockburn Town too.

Another option is to go to the parking area which is a five minute walk from the ship and there are all sorts of tour vans and you can arrange one for just the two of you to take a tour around the island. That is what we did.

Keith

Thanks Keith. How much did that run you?

Last December we went to the Local Village Bar right on the beach and took their tour of the island for $20 and they take you around the whole island and we learned a lot and you can walk around Cockburn Town too.

Wow that's not bad at all. We might have to check into that. Was it just your party? The thing we don't like about the excursions is that we don't seem to have enough time to take all the pictures we want. So if we controlled how much time we spent there - that would be awesome!

Wow that's not bad at all. We might have to check into that. Was it just your party? The thing we don't like about the excursions is that we don't seem to have enough time to take all the pictures we want. So if we controlled how much time we spent there - that would be awesome!

We have also done the tram tour and it was great. They do have a hop on hop off version. Check their website. The company name is Island Trams LTD.

We have also done the tram tour and it was great. They do have a hop on hop off version. Check their website. The company name is Island Trams LTD.

Thanks! Their website appears to be down at the moment, but I'll def check it out when it's available. :)

My wife and I did one of the tours of GT about a year ago, It backed up my sister-in-law's view (who had been there before) that there just wasn't much to see at GT.

If you've never been there before I'd say "why not", but in the end just relax and enjoy the beach . We did.

Last - we're going back in a month to GT, we will wither snorkel before relaxing on the beach, or just hit the beach.

• 2 weeks later...

We are also sailing to GT in Jan and was looking at this tour as well. Does anyone know of a map of the island showing of the sites to see. Any information would be great. We are also looking at the Dune Buggy Adventure

tour, anyone done this one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks! Their website appears to be down at the moment, but I'll def check it out when it's available. :)

their website is down, but if you do a google search you can find info about reserving a seat. Appears they now charge $29. I am going to wait to see if I can barter down the price or just take a taxi to town and do my own self-guided tour through the museum. Don't care about seeing wild donkeys. I live in Montana and we have LOTS of wild animals. :p

• 2 weeks later...

When I was there the week of 9/2, we just went w/ the Grand Turk Express booth in the cruise center plaza, $19 each. They billed it to our SnS card, so no cash needed.

We tried to pick up the Island Trams one near what used to be the Local Village Bar, but the booth didn't seem to be open, so we trudged back to the cruise center plaza. The one we did was cheaper. :)

• 1 month later...
When I was there the week of 9/2, we just went w/ the Grand Turk Express booth in the cruise center plaza, $19 each. They billed it to our SnS card, so no cash needed.

We tried to pick up the Island Trams one near what used to be the Local Village Bar, but the booth didn't seem to be open, so we trudged back to the cruise center plaza. The one we did was cheaper. :)

Where did the Express take you?

We used Island trams in april for a tour of the island. It was a bit tricky finding them and then we did have to wait a bit for them to get some more folks to take the tour. They do seem to know their stuff and love their island.. but there isn't much to see. The lighthouse is interesting and seeing the "wild horses" was ok, the downtown stop meh... the island isn't wealthy and has been damaged by hurricanes. I had asked to see the little museum and they said we would, but that did not happen, perhaps not enough of the other were interested? I felt like the tour was worth both the time and the $. You got to see some of the island and get a feel for the history and the hopes for the future. There was still time left to poke around the pier area. I just wished we had done the museum stop.

Archived