Checking In at Ship

My sister and her friend are sharing a cabin. They live in different states. If one arrives at the terminal before the other, do they have to check in together, Or do they have to wait and check in together?

My sister and her friend are sharing a cabin. They live in different states. If one arrives at the terminal before the other, do they have to check in together, Or do they have to wait and check in together?

If they fill out the online check-in with separate credit cards and don't accept the cruise agreement for each other, then they will get separate SetSail (boarding) passes. With separate boarding passes they can check-in independently.

It makes no difference where they live. They can check in separately, even if they live at the same address and share the same credit card.

We often do that if we arrive at different times, or if we arrive together but one goes off to park the car or wants to do some shopping while the other one just wants to board the ship.

(It is often the case that one enjoys shopping more than the other. :D )

It helps to speed up the check-in procedure if you print off two copies of the boarding pass and each person takes one, but you can still check in and board even if you have no boarding pass at all.

They just fill in the info right at the check-in counter.

With your sister and her friend living in different states and planning to arrive separately, it would probably be easiest if one person fills out the online check-in for both and then just emails a copy of the SetSail pass to the other one to print out and bring along.

Simple answer: If you show up with the correct identification, within the time frame the cruise line identifies, you will ABSOLUTELY be allowed to board. First to arrive? They won't make you wait for the rest of your party. Last to arrive? As long as it's within the time limit, and you have correct ID, no problem.

This is our first cruise. I printed the boarding pass today. I'm surprised it was ready since we're not going until Oct. I have 2 questions:

1. Both passes have my name on it. My husband's name is on the 1st page, but both passes have my name on it.

2. The luggage tag is just a picture and it says I should use real ones, but doesn't say where to get them

This is our first cruise. I printed the boarding pass today. I'm surprised it was ready since we're not going until Oct. I have 2 questions:

1. Both passes have my name on it. My husband's name is on the 1st page, but both passes have my name on it.

2. The luggage tag is just a picture and it says I should use real ones, but doesn't say where to get them

As long as both of your names are somewhere on the reservation, the passes are irrelevant. I have shown up for cruises many times with NO paperwork, just my passport, and had no problem.

As far as luggage tags, my best suggestion is not to worry about them. The porters at the terminal will be more than happy to tag your bags. It's just like an airline. I don't worry about printing and affixing tags to my bag before going to the airport, that's the airline's job.

The real tags will be available about 49 days before the cruise. The image of the luggage tag is near the end of the electronic cruise docs, which will show up on Royal's website at 49 days. There is also a new button on the website on the same page as the SetSail pass which says "Print Luggage Tags". This also shows up at 49 days.

As long as all the information is entered for both individuals and it says ready to Print, the Set Sail Pass probably will show the primary person who booked. Luggage Tags and docs are generally ready within 75 days of the sailing, when they are ready for viewing and downloading, scroll down to the luggage tags near the end and print out as many as you will need. My Tags for my Coastal with Princess were ready at 74 days out. Since we haven't had to print ours out yet for RCL before I am not sure if they are the same as Princess or later. Bob said 49 days.

As long as both of your names are somewhere on the reservation, the passes are irrelevant. I have shown up for cruises many times with NO paperwork, just my passport, and had no problem.

As far as luggage tags, my best suggestion is not to worry about them. The porters at the terminal will be more than happy to tag your bags. It's just like an airline. I don't worry about printing and affixing tags to my bag before going to the airport, that's the airline's job.

The information provided by macruisefan is absolutely correct.

But we find the cruise check-in procedure goes a little faster when we bring along the Set Sail passes.

........The luggage tag is just a picture and it says I should use real ones, but doesn't say where to get them
You get the real luggage tags at the pier when you check in your luggage.

You can either let the porters attach them for you, or you can do it yourself.

They use the sturdy commercial type tags that are quick and easy to attach, requiring no folding, stapling or taping and there is no need to buy any special luggage tag holders for them.

You may have noticed that some people like to print out and create their own personal homemade luggage tags instead of using the commercial ones.

Sometimes a group traveling together will decorate all their luggage tags with a common theme or style.

If you enjoy spending time doing that sort of thing, by all means go for it, but it certainly is not necessary.

Feel free to use whichever type of luggage tags you prefer, just as long as you put your stateroom number on them because that is what determines where the bags will be delivered. :)

Archived