Shorts in Dining Rooms

kurukthemal

I received this after I e-mail DCL and asked:

8/9/13

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for your email.

Your thoughtfulness in sharing your observations with ways we can

improve our cruise experience is much appreciated.

The information you are seeing on the message boards is correct. Please

note the following:

"Dining attire varies by venue or theme night on your cruise. In

general, most meals are "Cruise Casual"-- shorts, jeans, khakis and

capris are permitted; however, we ask that Guests refrain from wearing

swimwear or tank tops in the dining rooms."

However, although 'shorts' are now acceptable, those of us who still

want to 'dress for dinner' can certainly still do so.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further

assistance with any other inquiries, please feel free to contact us.

We look forward to sailing with you!

Have a Magical Day!

Wilma

Email Guest Services

Disney Cruise Line

Thanks for the official note. My hubby will be happy, he gets very hot and was not looking forward to wearing pants in the tropics :)

I received this after I e-mail DCL and asked:

8/9/13

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for your email.

Your thoughtfulness in sharing your observations with ways we can

improve our cruise experience is much appreciated.

The information you are seeing on the message boards is correct. Please

note the following:

"Dining attire varies by venue or theme night on your cruise. In

general, most meals are "Cruise Casual"-- shorts, jeans, khakis and

capris are permitted; however, we ask that Guests refrain from wearing

swimwear or tank tops in the dining rooms."

However, although 'shorts' are now acceptable, those of us who still

want to 'dress for dinner' can certainly still do so.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further

assistance with any other inquiries, please feel free to contact us.

We look forward to sailing with you!

Have a Magical Day!

Wilma

Email Guest Services

Disney Cruise Line

Dear Shmoo,

Thank you for posting this. It is so nice to see you on the Disney Cruise Line forum again.

I for one do not like the change. What is so hard about not wearing shorts and a t-shirt to dinner in the main dining room?

This lowering of the expected dress in the main dining room does not reflect very highly on Disney Cruise Line.

Again, it's great to see you again on the Disney Cruise Line forum Shmoo, I miss your posts.

soccer

Apparently not anymore since Disney is taking off the "no shorts" rule. Shorts are now officially allowed in the dining room.:D

From what source do you get this information? I've heard only rumors and heresay so far.

Has anyone seen this posted by Disney? We are cruising in September and it is not noted on the cruise documentation we received. Their website still has the same information of no shorts.

this was copied and pasted from a newsletter (Disney newsletter) I received just this morning...hope it helps

Disney Cruise Line to allow shorts in dining rooms

Aug 10, 2013

Disney Cruise Line has relaxed the dress code in their main dining rooms. Previously, guests were encouraged to dress in "Cruise Casual," which generally meant no shorts, swimwear or tank tops. The majority of guests used this opportunity to dress up a little for dinner, with dresses or nice pants for women and slacks for men. The new policy states that shorts, jeans, khakis and capris are permitted, but guests are still asked not to wear swimwear or tank tops.

Most Disney Cruise Line itineraries also feature themed nights where guests dress like pirates or in tropical attire. There is often a Formal Night as well. A stricter dress code will still apply for Palo and Remy, the adults-only restaurants on the ships.

I also received an e-mail from a very reliable Disney source with the updated dress code. I still probably won't wear shorts in the MDR but it nice to know that it's now an acceptable option.

Hi all,

Time for me to chime in since I started this debate. We just got off the Dream today and what an amazing experience. They can keep Disney World and our family is SOLD on DCL!

Okay, so I think that most people (again assuming) do not know about the dress code, eg no shorts. I can't believe that many people are just "doing what they want." There was eclectic attire every night ranging from slacks/khakis to well...not. :-)

I wore a buttoned down shirt every night and dress pants. My girls wore cute summer dresses and brought a "fancy" dress for Saturday night. It was fun getting all gussied up and they loved it. So, while I was initially not looking forward to packing extra, I am glad we did in the end.

Next year - Fantasy to St. Maarten!

I am not sure what the current policy is but lets just say I was dissapointed to see people dressed like this allowed in the dinning room at night for dinner.

Current policy is still no shorts, swimwear or tank tops.

AFAIK, DCL has still not made an official announcement on the website or press release. There are emails posted which I have no reason to think are not genuine, but until they officially say shorts are OK, no shorts, swimwear or tank tops?

And when they do officially say yes, I'm fine with that.

ex techie

Hi all,

Time for me to chime in since I started this debate. We just got off the Dream today and what an amazing experience. They can keep Disney World and our family is SOLD on DCL!

Okay, so I think that most people (again assuming) do not know about the dress code, eg no shorts. I can't believe that many people are just "doing what they want." There was eclectic attire every night ranging from slacks/khakis to well...not. :-)

I wore a buttoned down shirt every night and dress pants. My girls wore cute summer dresses and brought a "fancy" dress for Saturday night. It was fun getting all gussied up and they loved it. So, while I was initially not looking forward to packing extra, I am glad we did in the end.

Next year - Fantasy to St. Maarten!

We were on the previous two Dream sailings, our first with DCL. My husband wore dress pants and button-down collared shirts each night and I wore a cocktail dress or maxi each night. I had not given any thought to the dress code before packing and really don't recall anything more than something about the attire on Disney being "cruise casual." I just brought what we normally wear on the non-'formal' nights on Princess.

Until I came home and read this thread, I had no idea shorts were not to be worn in the DCL dining rooms. I saw TONS of them -- men, women, children. I don't recall any tanks or swim attire, and the shorts were, for the most part, paired with dressy blouses or nice men's polos. I don't normally do this much people-watching, but it was such a lively and happy time in the dining rooms, I couldn't help notice the excited families and children around us. :) The dining rooms were more casual and relaxed than I'm used to, but we really enjoyed that and, honestly, the shorts seemed better matched to that atmosphere than our own attire. I was wearing a cocktail dress one of the night's that a turtle was talking to me. :D

[sNIP] Until I came home and read this thread, I had no idea shorts were not to be worn in the DCL dining rooms

So did you not receive the pre cruise information in the mail that specifically states no shorts, swimwear or tank tops in the MDR of an evening and just go with what Princess asked?

Did you not look at the website and research your cruise or ask your TA?

How it is missed is beyond me!?! :confused:

ex techie

So did you not receive the pre cruise information in the mail that specifically states no shorts, swimwear or tank tops in the MDR of an evening and just go with what Princess asked?

Did you not look at the website and research your cruise or ask your TA?

How it is missed is beyond me!?! :confused:

ex techie

After 20-something cruises, I figured that if a cocktail dress and dress pants/shirt weren't "cruise casual" enough for the dining rooms on Disney, we'd eat somewhere that they were. I wasn't too worried about starving. (By the way, I didn't "go with what Princess asks," I went with what *we* wear on Princess.)

Current policy is still no shorts, swimwear or tank tops.

AFAIK, DCL has still not made an official announcement on the website or press release. There are emails posted which I have no reason to think are not genuine, but until they officially say shorts are OK, no shorts, swimwear or tank tops?

And when they do officially say yes, I'm fine with that.

ex techie

Well then you'll have to be fine with that since they now permit shorts (see Post #74).

After 20-something cruises, I figured that if a cocktail dress and dress pants/shirt weren't "cruise casual" enough for the dining rooms on Disney, we'd eat somewhere that they were. I wasn't too worried about starving. (By the way, I didn't "go with what Princess asks," I went with what *we* wear on Princess.)

Sorry,

I didn't mean that post to come across as you didn't care, just surprised that someone that books a cruise wouldn't read the doc's that are sent and not do research on the website before hand.

The amount of people that say the same "Until I came home and read this thread, I had no idea shorts were not to be worn in the DCL dining rooms" just astounds me! lol!

ex techie

Any OFFICIAL confirmation from the company?

Statement, change on the website?

ex techie

I still haven't seen it - I even went back and re-read a few of their newsletters. I did get notice from them last night that they are banning balcony smoking - that is confirmed - as of mid November!

I love this idea!! And why not? My best friend (whom I am cruising with) and I keep saying it's too bad we can't dress up like princesses like our daughters will. Maybe we can enjoy a bit of the Princess life :)

We wore Tiaras every night...except the pirate night. Then we went as pirate wenches in full corset and cavalier hat regalia...

Wait...you have to be 7 to wear princess dresses to dinner?! :eek:

jk. Tiaras at 31? They weren't obnoxiously big, they were cute, and they called us princess wherever we went.

Tiaras at 31 - you betcha~!

My adult sons will be happy to hear this (if I tell them :rolleyes:). They are very hot natured and have nice wardrobes of dressy shorts, polos and button-down shirts. I'll still insist on slacks and jackets for formal night and Palo.

I love this idea!! And why not? My best friend (whom I am cruising with) and I keep saying it's too bad we can't dress up like princesses like our daughters will. Maybe we can enjoy a bit of the Princess life :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/481017_105642049638054_743498129_n.jpg

You bet! In 2008, I said "I'm never going to WDW without a tiara again!" I mean *pout* it's like ALLLL the girls had them! Well this time I was prepared!

Join the princess revolution!

Any OFFICIAL confirmation from the company?

Statement, change on the website?

ex techie

Yes. As in I called them last night to figure some thing relating to our shore excusrsions and asked about the dress code. They have changed the policy. You can choose to beleive me or you can call yourself. Sorry they have killed the high horse you're on.

WOW...shorts in the MDRs. What's next...waiters wearing tank tops? :eek:

If most people would provide feedback they would like to wear tank-tops and swimwear to MDRs, in in DCL sole discretion to change the policy to do that. Although I like to dress informally (including bermuda shorts), and I would not wear tank tops or swimwear, I would toally respect their decision. What other people wear does not and will not affect how much I enjoy vacation time.

The official response is quite nice. I think it has been posted in a previous post on this thread. While they have made the adjustment to allow shorts, they have asked that no tank tops or swim wear be worn in the dining rooms.

I still intend to wear nice sun dresses but my honey will enjoy wearing a nice collared shirt and not having to change out of long pants after dinner. (I will be packing! So I will DEFINITELY have a say in what is brought.)

My honey doesn't even own a tank top...

They also remarked on the themes (such as pirate night) which I thought was cute! We dressed up for pirate night before and will definitely do so again!

Yes. As in I called them last night to figure some thing relating to our shore excusrsions and asked about the dress code. They have changed the policy. You can choose to beleive me or you can call yourself. Sorry they have killed the high horse you're on.

Although not considered "official" it is good enough for me. According to this blog, Disney is even allowing shorts to be worn in the MDR on Formal Night. I enjoyed dressing up on Formal Night but it won't bother me if someone else decides to wear shorts. I think it is pretty funny that it bothers some people. Life is too short.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2013/08/disney-cruise-line-formally-revises-cruise-casual-attire-to-include-shorts/

Archived