Shorts in Dining Rooms

kurukthemal

The cruise line make it clear that they request you do not wear shorts to dinner.

You are admitting to ignoring that request and in doing so and as YOU prefer instead by not observing their request/wish, only you can decide if your manners are questionable in that instance.

ex techie

No. They suggest the dress code. Please show me where they say dress code rules. They are soft rules, at best. If they were hard rules, they would bounce me and hundreds of people out of dining areas like the do in other cruise lines (RCCL and Celebrity come to mind). The fact that they do not bounce that people who come as they are in relaxed clothing speaks volumes and specially to the fact that they recognize that unlike other cruise lines, DCL is a family-oriented, kid-oriented line which means you are going to have lots of tired parents that the last thing they want to worry about is a strict dress code.

No. They suggest the dress code. Please show me where they say dress code rules. They are soft rules, at best. If they were hard rules, they would bounce me and hundreds of people out of dining areas like the do in other cruise lines (RCCL and Celebrity come to mind). The fact that they do not bounce that people who come as they are in relaxed clothing speaks volumes and specially to the fact that they recognize that unlike other cruise lines, DCL is a family-oriented, kid-oriented line which means you are going to have lots of tired parents that the last thing they want to worry about is a strict dress code.

Well they actually DO say requirements in the spiel.

Q: What should I wear to dinner?

A: Dining dress requirements vary by venue or theme night on your cruise. In general, most meals are "Cruise Casual"—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops. Most cruises also have special theme nights with additional attire requirements. Here's a breakdown of these events by cruise itinerary.

But as you well know, Disney always want to provide the most enjoyable experience for every guest so no they wont say go and change in to what we asked. (Palo and Remy excepted)

They will politely turn a blind eye to what you chose to wear even if it is not what they required.

Can I ask you this?

Why would they go to the bother to ask that you not wear shorts if they truly didn't mind? Why?

If they were fine with wearing shorts in the MDR's of an evening then it wouldn't be asked that you didn't?

If as you say "The fact that they do not bounce that people who come as they are in relaxed clothing speaks volumes" why would they require/request that you not?

Personally I think you are misunderstanding or misinterpreting the polite request that you do not wear shorts as in at Palo or Remy.

ex techie

Well they actually DO say requirements in the spiel.

Q: What should I wear to dinner?

A: Dining dress requirements vary by venue or theme night on your cruise. In general, most meals are "Cruise Casual"—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops. Most cruises also have special theme nights with additional attire requirements. Here's a breakdown of these events by cruise itinerary.

But as you well know, Disney always want to provide the most enjoyable experience for every guest so no they wont say go and change in to what we asked. (Palo and Remy excepted)

They will politely turn a blind eye to what you chose to wear even if it is not what they required.

Can I ask you this?

Why would they go to the bother to ask that you not wear shorts if they truly didn't mind? Why?

If they were fine with wearing shorts in the MDR's of an evening then it wouldn't be asked that you didn't?

If as you say "The fact that they do not bounce that people who come as they are in relaxed clothing speaks volumes" why would they require/request that you not?

Personally I think you are misunderstanding or misinterpreting the polite request that you do not wear shorts as in at Palo or Remy.

ex techie

Palo and Remy are upscale, value-added offerings. Being adult-only venues also implies more formality and I would never dine there unless I felt the stange need to dress in tie and jacket. So there is a difference.

Main dining rooms do not have the same expectations. They are kind of hectic, actually. People of all ages but specially children. Disney knows very well the vast majority of parents just want to eat, realax and spend time with their families without having to worry about dress code. Those who like to dress are more than welcome to, but you don't have to. And by purely anecdotal and emprical observation of all three trips aboard the Dream, I have seen many families who went very formal on night #1, and they too were in bermuda shorts and hawaiian shirts by the second night (or dressed up as pirates, if that was pirate night). We're not terribly social people, but the few familes we've met on board, they all love the informal nature of the dining expereince, again, specially when it comes to the little ones -- this subject always comes up.

Also to make it clear, I do not wear the same shorts I wear to the gym, or the beach. I wear cargo or kahki shorts, if that makes a difference and don't wear flip-flops or tank tops either :) So, it's not like I'm trying to go in like a rambo hillbilly. Just comfortable and informal.

Palo and Remy are upscale, value-added offerings. Being adult-only venues also implies more formality and I would never dine there unless I felt the stange need to dress in tie and jacket. So there is a difference.

Main dining rooms do not have the same expectations. They are kind of hectic, actually. People of all ages but specially children. Disney knows very well the vast majority of parents just want to eat, realax and spend time with their families without having to worry about dress code. Those who like to dress are more than welcome to, but you don't have to. And by purely anecdotal and emprical observation of all three trips aboard the Dream, I have seen many families who went very formal on night #1, and they too were in bermuda shorts and hawaiian shirts by the second night (or dressed up as pirates, if that was pirate night). We're not terribly social people, but the few familes we've met on board, they all love the informal nature of the dining expereince, again, specially when it comes to the little ones -- this subject always comes up.

Also to make it clear, I do not wear the same shorts I wear to the gym, or the beach. I wear cargo or kahki shorts, if that makes a difference and don't wear flip-flops or tank tops either :) So, it's not like I'm trying to go in like a rambo hillbilly. Just comfortable and informal.

That said,

Why would they go to the bother to ask that you not wear shorts if they truly didn't mind?

Ex techie

Who knows, old civilian maritime tradition maybe?

Maybe it because it is what they would like and request/require.

You know they require "Cruise Casual"—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops." so it is your right to adhere or ignore that.

No DCL CM will turn you or anyone of your party away from the MDR for ignoring that.

But they require no shorts.

You obviously are making wild and bizarre suggestions as to the origin of what they ask, so no real point discussing this any further.

ex techie

Maybe it because it is what they would like and request/require.

You know they require "Cruise Casual"—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops." so it is your right to adhere or ignore that.

No DCL CM will turn you or anyone of your party away from the MDR for ignoring that.

But they require no shorts.

You obviously are making wild and bizarre suggestions as to the origin of what they ask, so no real point discussing this any further.

ex techie

No, no. I'm pretty sure, actually, that dining room dress code on cruise ships is a traditional thing. There is no real reason in modern times to have them.

In none of our trips we sat with another family. I don't think Disney does multi-family tables unless it's by request. Other cruise lines do that, Disney does 1 family per table, at least they do that on the big ships.

Also, each person and family cruise they way they want. You like the formality that's fine. We for instance enjoy the relax of "come as you are" and not having to worry about wardrobe. Just like I wouldn't be bothered by someone dressed up to the nines, I would hope people people would respect that I wear bemuda shorts and t-shirts, and Disney allows for that which is one reason we keep cruising with them.

No one is talking about multi family tables, not everyone cruises with their whole family/children so that point is a non issue here. They do however, put couples together with other couples.

I don't dress formally on DCL it does not warrant long dresses etc, so it doesn't matter if I like the formality or not, again it is a non issue here. However I do expect people to dress appropriately and not just roll in looking like they have come off the beach or not made any effort whatsoever which is what said tablemates I was referring to in a previous thread did.

I come from a background where tradition, etiquette and most importantly good manners are very important and I do wish Disney would enforce the no shorts rule at dinner, but it is what it is and I will continue to inwardly frown upon anyone in shorts, but as is apparent they won't care.:rolleyes:

Is the implication that by wearing relaxed clothing my manners come into question?

The cruise line is attempting to set an atmosphere in the dining room for their guests. They do so by spending a fortune on decor, furnishings, place settings and uniforms then training their staff using high standards of guest services. A part of the atmosphere that they want to convey is carried forth by their guest dress standards. When the guests dress to the standards, it builds on the atmosphere. This makes the cruise more enjoyable for most.

However, Disney Cruise Line being of a high level of customer service and recognizing that it's a family line and there might be circumstances such as late excursions, the kids' behavior or packing errors where their guests are unable to meet with the standards. For this reason, the Line has called their dress code "suggestions" so that guests who cannot meet the standards set forth are not turned away from the dining rooms, a major feature of the ships. This event that can cause some level of unhappiness with the cruise line, ship and staff. Disney doesn't like to make guests unhappy, it flies in the face of their motto.

So yes, it is poor manners to the Line and to fellow guests to disregard the dress "guidelines" for selfish reasons.

The cruise line is attempting to set an atmosphere in the dining room for their guests. They do so by spending a fortune on decor, furnishings, place settings and uniforms then training their staff using high standards of guest services. A part of the atmosphere that they want to convey is carried forth by their guest dress standards. When the guests dress to the standards, it builds on the atmosphere. This makes the cruise more enjoyable for most.

However, Disney Cruise Line being of a high level of customer service and recognizing that it's a family line and there might be circumstances such as late excursions, the kids' behavior or packing errors where their guests are unable to meet with the standards. For this reason, the Line has called their dress code "suggestions" so that guests who cannot meet the standards set forth are not turned away from the dining rooms, a major feature of the ships. This event that can cause some level of unhappiness with the cruise line, ship and staff. Disney doesn't like to make guests unhappy, it flies in the face of their motto.

So yes, it is poor manners to the Line and to fellow guests to disregard the dress "guidelines" for selfish reasons.

I agree Mick.

soccer

soccer

Funny! I just read that DCL is changing to allow shorts in the MDR. I don't have an official release from them and no word on their site yet. I heard this went into play Aug 5th however ....anyone else?

Heh! Love it! :D

But even so the high-brow people will keep insisting those of us who choose dress informally in the MDRs lack manners because of "selfish" reasons. Laughable.

It's not a matter of formality/informality, to me its a matter of respect to the rules and staff.

As noted, prior to any change, Disney (as the host) has requested no shorts in the MDR for dinner among other requests (no seat saving in theater, please arrive prior to scheduled seating time, etc). As guest, even a paying one, I try to adhere to those requests. The same holds true for any restaurant on land as well.

Are they going to send me back to the cabin to change if I wear shorts? Probably not, in most cases the staff won't want the hassle of delaying the meal. That said in my book that's like cheating on an exam because you know the teacher doesn't check, and it sends the wrong message to the kids who may be dining with you (we only obey the rules we like) which is way too prevalent on ships today (what do you mean I can't smoke on my balcony! I am doing it anyway! Adults only pool? Bah, my kid can swim here! - I have personally seen all of these and more.).

You would not 'offend' me by wearing shorts into the MDR. But I would ponder your lack of respect for the guidelines of the ship.

Poop. I loved how everyone looked on our trip. It wasn't formal, but everyone looked like they were put together nicely. *cute sun dresses and polos etc.

Good thing are family likes to put something nice on for dinner. Our pictures will look nice, (we still dress comfy, those maxi dresses allow for plenty of eatin' room) and I don't really care that much what other people do, but our family won't... accept sadly my husband will probably be pretty happy to hear that. He was happy to wear dark jeans or khakis and a polo to dinner this last time (no need to bring a suit) and I'm sure a night or two, he probably will take advantage of the shorts. But it won't be with a tshirt. They will be nice tasteful shorts with a polo shirt...maybe I won't tell him shorts are allowed teehee...

Well there Disney goes again...'give the people what they want'... hope my honey can get an apple pie....

It's not a matter of formality/informality, to me its a matter of respect to the rules and staff.

As noted, prior to any change, Disney (as the host) has requested no shorts in the MDR for dinner among other requests (no seat saving in theater, please arrive prior to scheduled seating time, etc). As guest, even a paying one, I try to adhere to those requests. The same holds true for any restaurant on land as well.

Are they going to send me back to the cabin to change if I wear shorts? Probably not, in most cases the staff won't want the hassle of delaying the meal. That said in my book that's like cheating on an exam because you know the teacher doesn't check, and it sends the wrong message to the kids who may be dining with you (we only obey the rules we like) which is way too prevalent on ships today (what do you mean I can't smoke on my balcony! I am doing it anyway! Adults only pool? Bah, my kid can swim here! - I have personally seen all of these and more.).

You would not 'offend' me by wearing shorts into the MDR. But I would ponder your lack of respect for the guidelines of the ship.

It's absolutely nothing like cheating on a test or cheating on anything, for that matter. I don't wear shorts because I can get away with it. I wear bermuda shorts to MDRs because that's what I feel most comfortable wearing on that particular ocasion. The fact that Disney has allowed for that and the fact that they are changing dress code to reflect that is simply a recognition that most of its customers simply aren't looking to playing the dress-up game when on a family vacation.

Also, the fact that you equate people's dress choices with integrity is actually pretty scary.

It's a symptom of a larger mindset. I don't like this rule, and I don't think they will enforce it, so therefore I won't do it until someone tells me otherwise. That person's comfort takes priority over the customs/ruleset. The same mindset is becoming ever more common in society - "it's ok as long as I don't get called on it"

That is a matter of integrity and respect for others (and by that I mean the staff, who are being placed in the position of either saying something, or if they don't possibly having to deal with complaints later - and they DO get them). One with minor consequences if any in this case, yes, but still one.

If Disney changes the requested dress code to allow shorts, that changes the paradigm, but as far as I can tell they have not done that yet. And the fact that they need to change the code to allow shorts implicitly means shorts are not allowed under the current policy.

There are many things Disney asks at resorts and on a cruise that are not necessarily someones preference. Chair hogging is an example. I've personally observed people go out in the AM, put belongings on a chair and not come back for 4-5 hours while others are looking around for a spot to sit. And if an attendant DARE move their stuff, they raise holy heck.

It's absolutely nothing like cheating on a test or cheating on anything, for that matter. I don't wear shorts because I can get away with it. I wear bermuda shorts to MDRs because that's what I feel most comfortable wearing on that particular ocasion. The fact that Disney has allowed for that and the fact that they are changing dress code to reflect that is simply a recognition that most of its customers simply aren't looking to playing the dress-up game when on a family vacation.

Also, the fact that you equate people's dress choices with integrity is actually pretty scary.

It's a symptom of a larger mindset. I don't like this rule, and I don't think they will enforce it, so therefore I won't do it until someone tells me otherwise. That person's comfort takes priority over the customs/ruleset. The same mindset is becoming ever more common in society - "it's ok as long as I don't get called on it"

That is a matter of integrity and respect for others (and by that I mean the staff, who are being placed in the position of either saying something, or if they don't possibly having to deal with complaints later - and they DO get them). One with minor consequences if any in this case, yes, but still one.

If Disney changes the requested dress code to allow shorts, that changes the paradigm, but as far as I can tell they have not done that yet. And the fact that they need to change the code to allow shorts implicitly means shorts are not allowed under the current policy.

There are many things Disney asks at resorts and on a cruise that are not necessarily someones preference. Chair hogging is an example. I've personally observed people go out in the AM, put belongings on a chair and not come back for 4-5 hours while others are looking around for a spot to sit. And if an attendant DARE move their stuff, they raise holy heck.

I'm sure you have never driven above the speed limit, double dip or skipped a class in your life, you morally flwless person!

I agree completely. Very well stated.

So you agree, its a moral issue....

I'm not claiming to be perfect, but I actually do try to avoid intentionally breaking the rules. I've raced to the airport to make a flight because I have gotten tied up in traffic, etc. But I do not speed just because I think I can do so without getting caught, nor do I drive recklessly to use your example. More importantly, I never do so with an attitude of that rule doesn't apply to me, and if I get caught, and I have, I take the full consequences (instead of pleading down for example).

There is a specific difference between necessity and desire.

I'm not asking for perfection, but expecting people to follow the easy rules is not perfection.

Oh and btw, if I use your definition of skipping? Nope. I have always either asked the teacher or other applicable staff for permission in advance or provided a reason afterward if I could. People were nice enough to pay for my education in the form of taxes, that obligated me to make the most of it.

I'm sure you have never driven above the speed limit, double dip or skipped a class in your life, you morally flwless person!

So you agree, its a moral issue....

I'm not claiming to be perfect, but I actually do try to avoid intentionally breaking the rules. I've raced to the airport to make a flight because I have gotten tied up in traffic, etc. But I do not speed just because I think I can do so without getting caught, nor do I drive recklessly to use your example. More importantly, I never do so with an attitude of that rule doesn't apply to me, and if I get caught, and I have, I take the full consequences (instead of pleading down for example).

There is a specific difference between necessity and desire.

I'm not asking for perfection, but expecting people to follow the easy rules is not perfection.

Oh and btw, if I use your definition of skipping? Nope. I have always either asked the teacher or other applicable staff for permission in advance or provided a reason afterward if I could. People were nice enough to pay for my education in the form of taxes, that obligated me to make the most of it.

Well said Loonbeam,

and I totally agree that is a matter of "it's ok as long as I don't get called on it" that some rely on!

And some may have even have joined other DCL specific sites to petition about it and the gospel of why shouldn't I be able to!

They are so passionate about not doing what is asked of you to even join other boards!

Laundry day must be a total **** day for them! lol!

IF DCL do relax the requirements, I for one will be sorry and think it will be a slippery slope down to "wear what you want and no worries, it's your vacation" in no time.

But if DCL say AOK then I'm good with that too!

They are the Host and they get to say what they ask/state/require/will or not make you conform to!

Just hope any changes WILL clearly defined and be enforced as strictly as at Palo and Remy.

ex techie

They have nothing official on the website.

However the wording for dining attire has changed from "no shorts, swimwear or tank tops" TO "However, you are requested to not wear tank tops, swim wear or shorts for dinner."

From the Dream:

Dress Code

The dress code for dinner at Animator's Palate changes nightly. Check the Personal Navigator—the Disney Cruise Line daily newsletter detailing all there is to see and do—for more information while onboard. However, you are requested to not wear tank tops, swim wear or shorts for dinner.

From the Magic:

Dress Code

The dress code for dinner changes nightly. Check the Personal Navigator—the Disney Cruise Line daily newsletter detailing all there is to see and do—for more information while onboard. However, in keeping with the elegant theme, you are requested to not wear tank tops, swim wear or shorts whilst dining in Lumiere's for dinner.

A change from being most prominent in the request to the last does not equal wear shorts IMO. But does indicate that DCL may be caving.

ex techie

I haven't seen the post from the TA that said shorts were going to be allowed, but if it is just that shorts gotten moved down the list in the "You Are REQUESTED" list, then I truly hope DCL sue the behind off them for the amount of phone calls and emails they will have had today and for the next week with hysterical Guests.

ex techie

They have nothing official on the website.

However the wording for dining attire has changed from "no shorts, swimwear or tank tops" TO "However, you are requested to not wear tank tops, swim wear or shorts for dinner."

From the Dream:

Dress Code

The dress code for dinner at Animator's Palate changes nightly. Check the Personal Navigator—the Disney Cruise Line daily newsletter detailing all there is to see and do—for more information while onboard. However, you are requested to not wear tank tops, swim wear or shorts for dinner.

From the Magic:

Dress Code

The dress code for dinner changes nightly. Check the Personal Navigator—the Disney Cruise Line daily newsletter detailing all there is to see and do—for more information while onboard. However, in keeping with the elegant theme, you are requested to not wear tank tops, swim wear or shorts whilst dining in Lumiere's for dinner.

A change from being most prominent in the request to the last does not equal wear shorts IMO. But does indicate that DCL may be caving.

ex techie

I don't think that indicates a change - I wonder if they will really do it ....

Archived