Still Calling at Jamaica

rosinryanz

Let's face it - on virtually every worst port thread, Ocho Rios and Montego Bay always seem to be the infortunate winners. I've read scores and scores of reviews of those ports, and while some do genuinly enjoy them, the negative ones usually outnumber the positive ones. Many ports come and go with time. Remember when Puerto Plata was a staple on cruises? So the question I have is, with all the consistently negative reviews, why are cuise ships still constantly calling on Jamaican ports.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Jamaica gets a bad rap. People go in town, have pushy vendors begging them to buy stuff, see the numerous crimes reported in the local paper, and then leave. Many assume from that experience that Jamaica is a bad port. :(

But you can do tours with some of the local tour operators that are very friendly, down to earth, and know where to take you to have a great time. Or you can go to Sunset Beach Resort for their all inclusive day pass for just $20 which includes all food, sodas, alcohol, watersports, pools, and beaches. There are no pushy vendors in this secluded upscale resort in Mo'Bay. The cruisers that really research this port and arrange to do something that comes highly recommend from fellow CCer's always enjoys themselves.:)

It's too bad that certain people wander around town, hate the place and then start talking about how bad it is. If you go beyond the main drag and do a tour or go to a nice resort or beach, your experience is much, much more pleasant.;) I think the raving reviews from the people who plan ahead of time and do their research is what keeps the ships going back. They know that you'll have a good time if you just do your homework and plan ahead.

It's too bad assumptions are made in general...sometimes you can do everything "right" and still have a bad experience, or vice-versa. Have had great days and horrible days in favorite vacation spots, repeating same activities/schedule...is life. Do your homework, keep a good attitude, hope for the best.

Jamaica is a very unique experience and has not been Americanized or Disneyfied. There are many "tourists" who don't appreciate this. "Travelers" on the other hand like to experience the place they are visiting. These folks tend to love Jamaica because it is different.

I am a traveler. (Love Jamaica)

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

I actually enjoyed Jamacia on my cruise a couple months ago. I too had read some negative posts about the Island and was very pleasantely surprised. The people weren't nearly as aggressive as I had be led to believe . . . in fact, they were very nice and not the least bit aggressive. And the Island was quite beautiful. My next cruise stops in Nassau and from what I remember of that port from my cruise a few years ago . . . I may just stay on the ship and take advantage of the discount specials at the spa (or at the very least steer clear of the Straw Mart). :(

I have to agree with all the above posts, in fact we Booked our October cruise so we could see Jamaica,first time, have done my research, booked a private tour operator and am looking forward to Ocho Rios! Our past cruises have always been after a lot of checking out the ports, listening to great advice on these boards, and have never been disappointed. Jamaica, here we come!

I think that no matter where you go, even in the states, there are good areas and bad areas. Some would say that New York City was a terrible place, full of crime, but there is so much more to it than that. It is full of beauty and culture.

I think the same can be said about Jamaica. DH and I will be in Ocho Rios next week and we are really looking forward to it. We did our homework and are planning on having Phil Lafayette give us a tour. This is the best way to see what the island has to offer. The best way to find out what each place has to offer is to have a guide - and one who knows the ins and outs of the area.

Do your homework and know what you are getting into before blindly getting off the ship.

So looking forward to our cruise in 5 days!!!!:)

Archived