Hotel carter in manhatton

markmo

Hello, Coming in sat Dec. 7 for a cruise on the Breakaway. I will be solo and wont a place to sleep so I can check out the city,(never been to New York) Hotel carter looks to be in a great spot to check every thing out, however the reviews are not good. Has anyone stayed there or have input on this hotel. Thanks.

Markmo,

There are a number of very affordable hotels on the upper west side of Manhattan only about a ten minute ride or so to the cruise pier. This is a much nicer and residential neighborhood to stay than the Carter or many of the commercial hotels in Times Square.

I checked several hotels for you and many of them require you to stay a minimum of two nights during that period.

The Park 79 on 79th between Columbus and Amsterdam charges $298 for two nights which is a terrific rate for New York City.

Downtown the Budget Inn on 34th street with shared bathrooms is very inexpensive with rooms around $85 a night.

At $200 a night in New York you don't have a lot of options, you get what you pay for.

Jonathan

Wow, this hotel must be bad. I'm coming in 12/7/13 for one night, I was wonting to keep it about $200. Thanks for your help.

OK, I'm looking at hotel rates for that weekend, and the prices are sky high... seriously, I'm struggling to find anything under $400, let alone $200... But then I found a rate of $259 for the Carlton Hotel, a Marriott Autograph collection hotel. Grab it. Seriously. You can cancel up to one day before the stay, so it's worth it to lock in the price.

Thanks all for helping me, The Carlton looks very nice and a great price. The Budget Inn on 34th street also looks great for the price, That will give me more money to spend in the city and on my cruise. Thanks again for your help. Now I got to think about it.

I have been looking around on the net and found the Seton hotel for $158, double room with shared bath. By looking at reviews this seems like a good hotel and a good location and a great price for Dec. What does every one think? I am sure it will be better than the Carter hotel.

The reviews are surprisingly good and cleanliness was the one thing mentioned in most reviews. Price is reasonable and the location is fantastic.

If you stay here, please come back and review the hotel. Quite frankly it sounds like many places I've stayed in Europe, but which don't seem to exist in the US anymore.

markmo ~

Just jumping in here to echo 138east and confirm that the Seton is in a fine location. I'm not familiar with this hotel itself (apart from the exterior, and from what I've just read in Tripadvisor reviews), but my DW used to work literally right around the corner on 3rd Avenue, and I know the area quite well. The immediate surroundings are much more pleasant (cleaner, safer, and less chaotic--though still bustling!) than the location of the Carter. It's not a "touristy" area; you'll be surrounded by a mix of office buildings, high-rise apartments/condos, shops, and all kinds of restaurants and other eateries. Yet you are just a few blocks from Grand Central Station, Park Avenue, and Fifth Avenue--the heart of midtown Manhattan.

In short, knowing what I know of Manhattan, I would far rather stay in this part of town than in the area around the Carter. For the price you'll be paying, I can't imagine that you could do much better in this city.

Thanks Post, I appreciate you input on the hotel, this makes me happy that I have all ready booked this hotel. By looking at other hotels the price does seem very good. I booked it thru aa.com and all other hotel sites were about $100 more a night than what I got at aa. Now all I need is to book my air fair and I am all set. Thanks again.

Archived