Can I do LittleFrench Key and West bay beach in 1 day?

psadvocate

From recent posts - looks like LFK is gorgeous, but I was looking to enjoy more than one beach, or possibly some shopping. Is LFK near say, Infinity Resort?

Do you think the snorkeling is any different, or would I be okay with just LFK? We were looking into renting from Ronys or Victors for a day, for 100 bucks.

From recent posts - looks like LFK is gorgeous, but I was looking to enjoy more than one beach, or possibly some shopping. Is LFK near say, Infinity Resort?

Do you think the snorkeling is any different, or would I be okay with just LFK? We were looking into renting from Ronys or Victors for a day, for 100 bucks.

LFK picks you up at the port as part of the charge.

For what LFK charges, it would be a shame to waste any of your day driving between the two places. (plus paying Bodden or Rony, when ride to LFK is included)

Look for one of Mitsugirly's posts and click on the link in her cruise history, for Little French Key. She has a ton of photos of the place and her snorkeling adventures there. (here you go.. posts 250-349 is LFK)http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1851647&page=7

Bill

I have only been to LFK - but I do think it would be neither cost effective nor time-wise to try & do both...I would choose one & try to do the other the next time you book a cruise to Roatan! Which you will! It is a 'fall in love with' kinda place!:p

To partially answer the OPs ?....Little French Key is up the southeastern side of Roatan. Infinity Bay is on the western side of Roatan. One narrow road with all Roatan traffic and probably 12 miles between the two. 45 minute drive.

Best shopping for most shoppers is at either cruise port, although there are some shops scattered around Coxen Hole. French Harbor is mostly for locals and expats on longer term stays. Best way to see more than 1 beach resort (and in reality they are on one long beach) is to go to West Bay and walk up and down. Small shops there but prices are higher than cruise center and selection isn't enticing.

LFK has more than 1 beach there. ;) How's that? hehe

LFK does have a reef you can go out to if the snorkeling around the beach area isn't what you're looking for. I found enough to keep me happy for the day and things that I had never seen before. If I was to go back, I would canoe out to the reef with everyone else to explore there too. :)

LFK has more than 1 beach there. ;) How's that? hehe

LFK does have a reef you can go out to if the snorkeling around the beach area isn't what you're looking for. I found enough to keep me happy for the day and things that I had never seen before. If I was to go back, I would canoe out to the reef with everyone else to explore there too. :)

You have piqued my interest as to taking the canoe out to snorkel...question...how do you snorkel while keeping the canoe close?!? It sounds like a great plan, but w/ the current & all...then, how would you get back up in it?!? Tell me your secrets - we are headed back there for the second time - did LFK before, but wanted something a little different & a little less ca$h since we are a group of 4...:D

I definitely, absolutely, without a doubt would go back to LFK but only if I could reasonably get a lower priced option...& get to do all the things I wanted to (like snorkel the reef again!)

P8220269.JPG

You have piqued my interest as to taking the canoe out to snorkel...question...how do you snorkel while keeping the canoe close?!? It sounds like a great plan, but w/ the current & all...then, how would you get back up in it?!? Tell me your secrets - we are headed back there for the second time - did LFK before, but wanted something a little different & a little less ca$h since we are a group of 4...:D

I definitely, absolutely, without a doubt would go back to LFK but only if I could reasonably get a lower priced option...& get to do all the things I wanted to (like snorkel the reef again!)

Ok, um...hopefully someone who has done it will chime in and give you the direct answers you are looking for. Since we didn't do it, I can't really comment on our experience. I can tell you that prior to going, I did research it and I remember people posting to do it on your own instead of paying the extra $$ with the staff to take you. I remember them saying to take the canoe out to the reef and I believe someone mentioned there was a platform there. (Correct me if I'm wrong to those of you who have done it). They said you canoe out to it and can get on the platform to rest or get back in the canoe and so on. I also remember reading that if you watch for the staff to take others out there, you can canoe out there at the same time (they go by boat) and they will help you also. <---I can verify that this is what a lot of other people did the day we were there. They went by canoe out there at the same time the boat was out there.

Now, here was my issue that day (and the main reason that I didn't try it)... The canoes are located (parked along the beach) in the area that you first come to. It's the beautiful blue area with the deck that goes over to the smaller portion of the island and it also has the 2 story deck you jump off of. Around the large deck that hangs out over the water and looking toward the reef area is nothing but shallow water and the sea grass. I kept looking at it and wondering how do you get over there??? :confused: I tried to go up on the deck and figure out if there was a path or what. I never really did figure it out. So, I didn't go and went back to just snorkeling in the area we were in and was perfectly happy with it. I only later found out that you had to canoe around the island to get on that side. If I go back, I'll probably try that since I now know. :p

I am trying like crazy to find a picture of it, but I only had my point and shoot camera, so I really didn't zoom in to get a better picture of the area.

This is standing on the deck and looking over top of the sea grass area. If you look out over where the waves are breaking, you'll see something there. I can't tell if that's one of those floating decks they were talking about or not. You can see an orange canoe out there beside it.

IMG_0474-L.jpg

In this picture, you can see one of the canoes headed out there.

IMG_0373-L.jpg

Here's another picture out there...still, I can't tell if it's the floating dock with people on it or just a canoe. :o

IMG_0274-L.jpg

Thanks for the reply...maybe the floating platform is something 'new' since we were there last August. I don't remember seeing it, or maybe it is just not that visible as shown in your great pics. I guess it all depends on the winds & waves because we were taken by the 'barge' out & around to the other side of the bigger adjoining island...( if you are looking from Frenchy's 44, off to the right) There was some really nice snorkeling there.

I know they must have done a lot of additions/improvements in a year, notice this same area when we were there Aug '12...good to know 'our' $$ is being put to good use!:p

Oh well, I definitely do NOT want to stay in MBay w/ two ships in port...grrr...

P8220201.JPG

Thanks for the reply...maybe the floating platform is something 'new' since we were there last August. I don't remember seeing it, or maybe it is just not that visible as shown in your great pics. I guess it all depends on the winds & waves because we were taken by the 'barge' out & around to the other side of the bigger adjoining island...( if you are looking from Frenchy's 44, off to the right) There was some really nice snorkeling there.

I know they must have done a lot of additions/improvements in a year, notice this same area when we were there Aug '12...good to know 'our' $$ is being put to good use!:p

Oh well, I definitely do NOT want to stay in MBay w/ two ships in port...grrr...

Hmm, now you make me doubt myself. I just thought I read (when doing my research here) that someone mentioned the platform out there. That's why I had planned on canoing out there, but when I was there, I couldn't figure out how you actually got across the sea grass area. I'll have to see if I can find that post.

Yea, I would think they are doing improvements. I know when we were there they were building the huge jaguar cage. I loved your picture of the electric wind turbine. I noticed there wasn't any lounge chairs in that picture. There are some there now. :)

Archived