Parking for cruise out of NYC

willow0325

There are hotels that offer their own park/sleep rates, but in the EWR area they are significantly more expensive. The park/sleep sites buy blocks of rooms from the hotels at discount prices and then offer them up at reduced rates.

Country inns would be a good example. For late October the hotel charges $244 for a room with 14 days parking, but one of the park/sleep web sites is charging $128. Add on the room tax and you have a substantial price difference.

I just priced a one-way rental from Rochester airport to LGA airport with Hertz. The cost is $113. Do that twice, and it's still cheaper than parking at the pier for a week.

There are plenty of hotels that offer their own park/sleep rates, without having to go thru a third party.

Interesting thought - though you still have to add in taxi to the port from the rental, taxi to pick up the car post cruise. Also -- if we're picking up the rental at the Rochester airport (as an example), we'd still have to pay parking for leaving our car in the lot while we're gone. Nothing is easy, is it?! :) Have you cruised out of NY before? If so, what did you do for parking?

There are hotels that offer their own park/sleep rates, but in the EWR area they are significantly more expensive. The park/sleep sites buy blocks of rooms from the hotels at discount prices and then offer them up at reduced rates.

Country inns would be a good example. For late October the hotel charges $244 for a room with 14 days parking, but one of the park/sleep web sites is charging $128. Add on the room tax and you have a substantial price difference.

Wow - that's great info ..... again!!! Have you had experience using them?

I used trinityreservations at Newark several years ago and it was a great deal. We recommend stay123 on this board all the time and folks have liked them. Buyreservations is new, but they have several nice hotels in their current selection. In general I'm picky about the hotels I recommend at EWR and I stick with the ones that folks like and have good experiences at. Over time I have stayed at 5 different airport hotels and my friend Meg has stayed at others. We try to steer folks away from hotels that are too cheap, poorly located, or have had issues in the past. I also try to match hotels with what folks want to do while at EWR and the kind of hotel services they are looking for. The reality is that EWR is not a vacation destination and is located in a highly urban industrialized area. It is what it is.

I've never done park/sleep at EWR so not familiar with the deal there - interesting. I'm used to always going direct with the property because of the hotel points.

Interesting thought - though you still have to add in taxi to the port from the rental, taxi to pick up the car post cruise. Also -- if we're picking up the rental at the Rochester airport (as an example), we'd still have to pay parking for leaving our car in the lot while we're gone. Nothing is easy, is it?! :) Have you cruised out of NY before? If so, what did you do for parking?

I didn't mention the taxi because in one of your scenarios, you would be parking at an airport, so evens out; and, if you found an office nearer the port that would take the return, you could significantly reduce or eliminate this expense. Also, I priced from Rochester airport location, but presumably if you had an office closer, you could just pick up the car and drive your car home - no parking. This is what we did last year for our flight to Italy - best price was out of YUL, so rented a car from YQB office, dropped off our car at home, then drove to YUL and dropped off car there. Same on the return.

I have cruised out of New York. We parked at the pier, because it was the simplest - really convenient to have our car right there on the return. However, as your cruise is a one-way and you'll have to fly home anyways, I'm wondering if driving to NYC is really cost-effective? It might end up simpler, and not much more expensive, just to fly down to NYC.

Where people park for a typical cruise (round trip) from NY is not necessarily the right solution for your circumstances, cruising from NY and flying back from SJU.

As I've already tried to say, the best solution for you could be as much a function of the airport you're flying into as anything else. There are going to be pluses and minuses associated with each...and you may have to pick your poison...for example is cost more important, or is convenience of transportation?

If I were making the choice I would park at or near the airport I was flying into and then take a car service or taxi from the airport to the cruise terminal. (assuming you are insistent on driving your own car to the NY area.) That will make your journey home the easiest. The cost of doing that will vary by airport and parking facility. Of course depending on the airport, there may be other reasonable transportation options in addition to taxi or car service.

138east - I hope it's okay to jump in on this thread. I am trying to plan a last minute trip for my parents. They will be sailing out of NYC (Manhattan) on Sept. 14th, and returning on the 21st. The will be driving up on Sept. 13th. Do you have a recommendation for a place they could stay? I tried the 3 sites that you listed, but I'm not sure which location in NYC to choose. I hope this is okay to post. I would really appreciate your help!

All the park sleeps are at Newark airport. They will have to take a car service, the airport bus, or the train to Manhattan if they stay overnight and leave their car. There are no park sleeps in NYC.

Where are they coming from?

So they have two choices.

1) Park Sleep at Newark Airport and schlepping their stuff in and out of NYC to the pier

2) stay out I80 in the Parsippany area in an inexpensive hotel (Hotwire is good for this) and driving into Manhattan across the GW bridge and parking at the pier for $35/day.

So they have two choices.

1) Park Sleep at Newark Airport and schlepping their stuff in and out of NYC to the pier

2) stay out I80 in the Parsippany area in an inexpensive hotel (Hotwire is good for this) and driving into Manhattan across the GW bridge and parking at the pier for $35/day.

Number two Newark sucks

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

CinciBaby - your folks have a very long drive. For 7 days it would cost them $245 to park at the pier plus a $13 bridge toll. Add another $100 for a hotel room and they are at about $360. They can get a park/sleep at Newark for about $160. If they take the train or bus and a cab to the pier, it will be about another $140-$150. Car service will be about $100 each way.

I'd stay out in Parsipanny/Morristown and pay to park at the pier. Right now there's a 4* hotel in The Morristown area for $78 ($98 incl tax) which could be the Morristown Hyatt.

After a long day driving, your parents will have the chance to get off the road in a nice suburban area without having to deal with the congestion of the NY metro area. The drive into NY the following morning should take no more than an hour - it's a straight shot to the pier via the GW bridge and the Henry Hudson Parkway. When they disembark they just hop in the car and reverse the process and head out I80 to Ohio - no wasting time trying to get back to their car at a Newark Airport hotel and then starting their drive from a less desirable location.

Where people park for a typical cruise (round trip) from NY is not necessarily the right solution for your circumstances, cruising from NY and flying back from SJU.

As I've already tried to say, the best solution for you could be as much a function of the airport you're flying into as anything else. There are going to be pluses and minuses associated with each...and you may have to pick your poison...for example is cost more important, or is convenience of transportation?

If I were making the choice I would park at or near the airport I was flying into and then take a car service or taxi from the airport to the cruise terminal. (assuming you are insistent on driving your own car to the NY area.) That will make your journey home the easiest. The cost of doing that will vary by airport and parking facility. Of course depending on the airport, there may be other reasonable transportation options in addition to taxi or car service.

LOL, that's what I tried to say too! Thanks again! (flying to NYC just doesn't make sense to me -- airfare plus still having to park our car at the Rochester or Buffalo airport - Buffalo generally has far better airfare rates than Rochester - go figure).

It's funny because it has seemed over the years that no matter what combination of transportation I've tried, no matter what cruise itinerary, add in pre and post cruise stays, parking, etc -- I always seem to come up at about the same number! For me, I do look at what's going to be most convenient. A better price isn't worth it necessarily to me if it means you incur a hassle or stress to pull it off.

It really doesn't change too much except the parking cost, which is huge. Parking is now down to $143 for 7 days. The same strategy of staying out of town on the first night would still work. I'd say the Brooklyn Terminal would be about a half hour further from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

The most important thing about the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is to print out the directions.

How do your folks feel about driving in NY City? There are several route choices. It might be better for them to spend a bit more on tolls on the NJ Turnpike and go through the Holland Tunnel and use the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. Many New Yorkers are more experienced in toll avoidance and would go to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and just drive on local streets down the west side of Manhattan and swing around the tip to the Brooklyn Bridge.

Just a thought. Take mega bus & taxi to the pier. Rent a car to get back home.

I think you would make a fortune if you started your own "get to the cruiseport" business! Pick up the travelers and just get them where they need to be! :D

Archived