Parking for cruise out of NYC

willow0325

Hello fellow cruisers! What is the daily parking rate for cruises departing from NYC? We're within driving distance so we probably wouldn't book a hotel for an overnight the night before but is that easier than parking right at the cruise port? Thanks again and happy cruising!

Hello fellow cruisers! What is the daily parking rate for cruises departing from NYC? We're within driving distance so we probably wouldn't book a hotel for an overnight the night before but is that easier than parking right at the cruise port? Thanks again and happy cruising!

$35 per night paid when you enter the terminal parking lot. Cash or credit card is accepted.

You're saying take a train to Penn Station and then take a cab? We'll be driving since we're close enough to the port. Any thoughts on parking at the airport and taking a cab from there? Or do you think that would cost about the same as just parking at the port?

You're saying take a train to Penn Station and then take a cab? We'll be driving since we're close enough to the port. Any thoughts on parking at the airport and taking a cab from there? Or do you think that would cost about the same as just parking at the port?

I don't get it... Why park at the airport? :confused: too far from port... it would cost you more.

I don't get it... Why park at the airport? :confused: too far from port... it would cost you more.

I asked about parking at the airport because we are cruising to San Juan and flying back from San Juan to NYC. When we arrive at the airport, our car would be there as opposed to then taking a taxi to the cruise port to pick up our car. (this is similar to a repositioning itinerary - start in one location, end in a different one)

I anticipate we'll probably stay in San Juan a couple of days post-cruise. We won't know which airport we'll be flying into until airfare rates come up, but we're completely flexible in that regard too. Airfare rates are about the same currently regardless of which airport in NY you look at.

I'm just looking for what others have done - though since this is a relatively new cruise itinerary to Carnival, there might not be much experience with this.

I asked about parking at the airport because we are cruising to San Juan and flying back from San Juan to NYC. When we arrive at the airport, our car would be there as opposed to then taking a taxi to the cruise port to pick up our car. (this is similar to a repositioning itinerary - start in one location, end in a different one)

I anticipate we'll probably stay in San Juan a couple of days post-cruise. We won't know which airport we'll be flying into until airfare rates come up, but we're completely flexible in that regard too. Airfare rates are about the same currently regardless of which airport in NY you look at.

I'm just looking for what others have done - though since this is a relatively new cruise itinerary to Carnival, there might not be much experience with this.

If you're cruising from NY to San Juan and flying back NY, you don't want to park at the pier because you may not be able to access the parking lot to retrieve your car upon your return if it's not a day when cruise ships are in port.

You really need to revisit this once you've bought your airline tickets. When you know which airport you're flying into then you can weigh your options.

If you're cruising from NY to San Juan and flying back NY, you don't want to park at the pier because you may not be able to access the parking lot to retrieve your car upon your return if it's not a day when cruise ships are in port.

You really need to revisit this once you've bought your airline tickets. When you know which airport you're flying into then you can weigh your options.

Is there an airport that you would recommend more than another in NY? Since rates usually aren't acutely different among the airports, I'd prefer one based on positive recommendations.

Thanks again for your advice!

Is there an airport that you would recommend more than another in NY? Since rates usually aren't acutely different among the airports, I'd prefer one based on positive recommendations.

Thanks again for your advice!

None (and all) are preferable by themselves.

Whichever one gives you the best combination of price and convenience should be best for you. And there are public garages near the pier and not far from each airport that might work for your situation as a better price option.

Where are you driving from? JFK is likely to be the least convenient unless you live on Long Island.

We're upstate - between Rochester and Buffalo.

Thank you again, everyone. Suggestions/recommendations/ideas help so much to take the stress out of traveling to unknown areas.

More questions. Are you driving down the day before and getting a hotel room? There are a ton of park/sleep options at Newark airport which will give you a hotel room, maybe breakfast, and up to 14 days parking. How many days will you be gone?

More questions. Are you driving down the day before and getting a hotel room? There are a ton of park/sleep options at Newark airport which will give you a hotel room, maybe breakfast, and up to 14 days parking. How many days will you be gone?

I don't anticipate that we'll drive down the day before - though if it were easier to stay at a hotel the night before, leave the car there, and take a shuttle or taxi to the pier, we'll consider it.

The park/sleep option sounds like it would be worth my looking into. Do you have a couple suggestions on "better" hotels to consider?

If you're coming from as far away as the Rochester/Buffalo area, folks would advise you to come down the day before. You also have to consider the complication of ditching your car for 8+ days and then making your way to the port. It's way too soon to book a park/sleep for Oct 2014.

Generally we recommend Country Inns on stay123.com, but that could change when the rates and hotel choices come out for next year. A more budget choice would be the Ramada on trinityreservations.com. You must be picky about where you leave your car - please ask for advice.

If you're not familiar with the New York area, I think you will find it more complicated to get to LGA and JFK. There's a $13 toll to cross the Hudson River plus you could incur further tolls to get to either airport depending on the route. By contrast, EWR is right between exits 14 and 13A on the NJ turnpike with a more easy on easy off access.

Your information is so incredibly helpful !! I'm not looking to book anything right now - just doing homework (it's the "type A" personality in me!) but I'm starting to hit research overload already. I'm my own worst enemy with the planning.

Thanks for the important tip on parking -- let me ask this, going back to another question I had before. For general ease -- might it make sense to drive directly to the airport and leave the car there while we're gone and just take a taxi to the cruiseport? I don't mind paying a bit more if it makes it less stressful overall.

Almost no one on these boards is going to tell you it's a great idea to drive in from as far as Rochester on the same day as the cruise. If anything at all goes wrong, you are SOL. Your ship spends three days at sea, so there is absolutely no way to board her again until the first port. Then you have the additional complication of parking at EWR and getting yourselves and all your stuff back into NYC at least 90 minutes before sail time.

If you feel you must do this, I'd look at some of the alternative private parking near the pier. Can someone post what folks are currently using? Alliance parking for about $25/day rings some bells.

You would come in route 80, cross the GW Bridge, and go straight down the Henry Hudson Pkwy to the pier area.

Almost no one on these boards is going to tell you it's a great idea to drive in from as far as Rochester on the same day as the cruise. If anything at all goes wrong, you are SOL. Your ship spends three days at sea, so there is absolutely no way to board her again until the first port. Then you have the additional complication of parking at EWR and getting yourselves and all your stuff back into NYC at least 90 minutes before sail time.

If you feel you must do this, I'd look at some of the alternative private parking near the pier. Can someone post what folks are currently using? Alliance parking for about $25/day rings some bells.

You would come in route 80, cross the GW Bridge, and go straight down the Henry Hudson Pkwy to the pier area.

Okay, now that you've easily convinced me to take an extra day off from work to come the day before the cruise (always good solid advice anyway!), do you recommend a hotel that has the park/stay option?

Brutusmom - are you saying rent a car, drive it to a rental agency in NYC, then a taxi to the port? Have you priced one day car rentals where you drop the car at a different location than you rented it? The cost is unbelievable. I'm not sure what that would save us because we'd incur more cost with a rental and then a taxi - by my math anyway. But thanks for the suggestion!

You don't book with a hotel. You book with a third party that puts the park/sleep deal together. We've been recommending stay123.com and trinityreservations.com. There's also a new player called buyreservations.com which is offering a better selection of hotels this year. Country inns is very popular. Buyreservations is also offering the Courtyard Elizabeth and the Doubletree.

Your three options for getting to the port are:

Private car service

Train from Newark Airport Station and cab

Airport bus to Port Authority and cab.

Brutusmom - are you saying rent a car, drive it to a rental agency in NYC, then a taxi to the port? Have you priced one day car rentals where you drop the car at a different location than you rented it? The cost is unbelievable. I'm not sure what that would save us because we'd incur more cost with a rental and then a taxi - by my math anyway. But thanks for the suggestion!

I just priced a one-way rental from Rochester airport to LGA airport with Hertz. The cost is $113. Do that twice, and it's still cheaper than parking at the pier for a week.

You don't book with a hotel. You book with a third party that puts the park/sleep deal together.

There are plenty of hotels that offer their own park/sleep rates, without having to go thru a third party.

Archived