Panama Canal, Partial Transit, Ocho Rios vs Grand Cayman

karlsselindh

I don't think poverty equates to criminal behavior, but it can encourage it. There are some very quaint places that are poor. Jamaica used to be a nice place to visit, but I just don't think it is now. I've been to both Jamaica and Cayman several times. Now, I'd pick Cayman for the better experience which includes nice shopping, snorkeling with stingrays and a pleasant experience where people don't hound you every minute. Last time I did the Panama Canal RT I stayed on the ship when we went to Ocho Rios. Several years back I went on a cruise with a friend and we went into Montego Bay. My friend said that she'd never been so afraid in a port. I don't even know if ships stop in MoBay anymore. There are nice things to see in Jamaica, but there's also things that aren't so nice. The OP asked which island most people would choose. Saying you choose Cayman isn't a political statement. It's just more enjoyable there for most people.

After reading a number of post it seems to me that people equate poverty with being unsafe and crime.

Another correspondent posted a link to the state department warning

on jamacia. To quote:

"Crime, including violent crime, is a serious problem in Jamaica, particularly in Kingston and Montego Bay and other major tourist areas. While the vast majority of crimes occur in impoverished areas"

To me, poverty == 'impoverished areas', so based on the state department warning, it seems pretty reasonable for people to equate poverty with crime.

An itinerary I'm on this fall usually calls on grand cayman. There are

a couple cruises which call on jamacia. I was careful in my date selection.

Another correspondent posted a link to the state department warning

on jamacia. To quote:

"Crime, including violent crime, is a serious problem in Jamaica, particularly in Kingston and Montego Bay and other major tourist areas. While the vast majority of crimes occur in impoverished areas"

To me, poverty == 'impoverished areas', so based on the state department warning, it seems pretty reasonable for people to equate poverty with crime.

An itinerary I'm on this fall usually calls on grand cayman. There are

a couple cruises which call on jamacia. I was careful in my date selection.

Jamaica is a different place. I did not say there was no crime. I said the same thing the web site did. Be careful. If you read the whole notice, is is also happening in exclusive resorts not just impoverished areas. It says not to go out at night. Most ships would not be there. Jamaica is a different culture. But if you look on the boards a lot of people say they would not go to this place or that place because of how poor the people are and expect crime. I posted about a cop on that took a walk through Ocho Rios who said he would never to that again.

We were there on a ship and took a private tour and were fine. I looked on the same web site for two other countries that are considered poor that people have trashed with that comment; Belize and Granada. Neither on had any crime concerns listed.

BTW, I am glad you are making your decision based on what makes you feel comfortable. I would certainly go back to Jamaica on a cruise ship. Most of my life I wanted to go on a land vacation to Jamaica. I don't think I would go now. That certainly not be wise. However, I did go once as part of my job. I was with a local at all times in Kingston. But, I never had a problem.

Jamaica is a different place. I did not say there was no crime. I said the same thing the web site did. Be careful. ...

Like stay on the ship ...

That's what most folks did when we were there. :eek:

We got hasslesd so much leaving the ship we just went back to the ship.

One couple walking to Duns River Falls got mugged.

One lady was mugged on the pier :eek:

Don't need to do that again.

Cayman :D

We were never harassed at the port in Ocho Rios. The shopping complex where Margaritaville is had security and kept the street vendors out. The security presence there very obvious and safe.

I have had the same aggressive vendors in Fort Lauderdale. It is a nature of other countries. The worse is Mexico, especially in the border towns. If people feel uncomfortable with that then they should not go. It is an experience.

But my original statement stands. You cannot substitute crime for poor. It may make people more aggressive when looking for their next meal, but it doesn't mean they are crooked or will cheat you.

I will not get off a ship in Jamaica. The homophobia is dangerous there. Our Island Princess cruise to the Panama Canal included Ocho Rios. Staying on the ship is like another sea day--with fewer passengers.

I will not get off a ship in Jamaica. The homophobia is dangerous there. Our Island Princess cruise to the Panama Canal included Ocho Rios. Staying on the ship is like another sea day--with fewer passengers.

I understand that. We expect when we go to foreign countries that they feel the same as we do in America. State department bulletins bear that out and public shows of affection by same sex persons are illegal and you can be arrested. What do you think about Jamaican jails? But since this was about wither to go to Ocho Rios or Grand Cayman, remember that Grand Cayman has the same laws. Do you remember a few years ago when a homosexual chartered cruise tried to get into Georgetown, the Cayman government refused to allow it to port and turned it away.

We were never harassed at the port in Ocho Rios. The shopping complex where Margaritaville is had security and kept the street vendors out. The security presence there very obvious and safe.

I have had the same aggressive vendors in Fort Lauderdale.

If you weren't harassed in Jamacia, how can you have the

same in Ft. Lauderdale?

And, if you weren't harrasssed in Ocho Rios, you must be the

only tourist ever...

...unless you never left the secured port area.

If you weren't harassed in Jamacia, how can you have the

same in Ft. Lauderdale?

And, if you weren't harrasssed in Ocho Rios, you must be the

only tourist ever...

...unless you never left the secured port area.

If you have been to TL and you walk around the streets, many of the small shops are owned by people from other countries. They don't wait for you to come into their ship. They are on the streets encouraging you to come in. They have even grabbed my arm or my wife's arm to try and guide us into their shop.

In Ocho Rios I said exactly what happened in a post about Dunn River Falls. No body inside the fence. The only time you see or hear the vendors is at the fence at the top. They reach through trying to get your attention, but there is a fence there.

The other example with Margaritaville is at the shopping village just outside the port. If you read all my post, they have security to keep people out. Wither it is part of the official port or not I do not know, but we did not run into any street vendors on the way to it or inside it.

BTW, if you look at other post here someone else stated they enjoyed Margaritaville.

If you have been to TL and you walk around the streets, many of the small shops are owned by people from other countries. They don't wait for you to come into their ship. They are on the streets encouraging you to come in. They have even grabbed my arm or my wife's arm to try and guide us into their shop.

In Ocho Rios I said exactly what happened in a post about Dunn River Falls. No body inside the fence. The only time you see or hear the vendors is at the fence at the top. They reach through trying to get your attention, but there is a fence there.

The other example with Margaritaville is at the shopping village just outside the port. If you read all my post, they have security to keep people out. Wither it is part of the official port or not I do not know, but we did not run into any street vendors on the way to it or inside it.

BTW, if you look at other post here someone else stated they enjoyed Margaritaville.

This is a perfect explanation of why not to go to Jamaica. The people on the island are fenced out so cruisers/tourists won't be harassed or worse by them. This isn't an appealing atmosphere for me to vacation now. It used to be a charming place to go years back, but it's not that way anymore.

Archived