Sail & Sign ? About Children

NurseMarla

We have 3 minor children ages 9, turning 12 during the cruise & 16 that will be with us. We want to put a set amount on their s&s cards & that be it. We can't set their cards up individually on the website because it says they must be linked to an adult. When we board will we be able to put their money on their cards & not have to worry about them going over their limit?

What is this sign and sail card? Does everyone get one? From what I've read, it sounds like a credit card type thing that everyone carries around and they just swipe it when you want to purchase something. I don't like the thought of that cause my kids would be ordering Shirley Temples, Virgin Daquiris, etc if they had something like that. So I can go to guest services and put a "max" amt on it so they don't rack up a bunch of charges?

What is this sign and sail card? Does everyone get one? From what I've read, it sounds like a credit card type thing that everyone carries around and they just swipe it when you want to purchase something. I don't like the thought of that cause my kids would be ordering Shirley Temples, Virgin Daquiris, etc if they had something like that. So I can go to guest services and put a "max" amt on it so they don't rack up a bunch of charges?

You can put a set amount, OR, you can stop them from having any charging ability. The sail and sign card is also your room key and is swiped when you get off the ship, and back on. Personally, when I traveled with a child, I didn't let them charge anything. I was around, most of the time, to buy what needed to be purchased.:D

My DD17 never has had charging privileges. It doesn't bother her at all. I give her a limit to spend for the whole cruise (whether on ship-I charge to my card- or in ports where she gets cash) and she's fine with that.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

we turned the charges off for the kids too. they can spend over the limit and you are still responsible since they are adults. charges are not'posted immediatly...so they can spend a lot of money in 15 minutes

I've never put a limit on my daughter's card before. She's never really

charged anything but a couple of sodas here and there on all of our cruises. Last cruise, in June on the Glory, she comes up to me and hands me $20. I said, "what's this for?" She says, "I decided to buy a round of virgin drinks last night for me and my friends up on the lido, made me feel like an adult." I cracked up and said, "well, don't let it go to your head.. I'm not trying to buy drinks for everybody on the ship...LOL." (I gave her her $20 back).

go here to find out about SS card

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx?icid=CC_Header_466#q-544999

we turned the charges off for the kids too. they can spend over the limit and you are still responsible since they are adults. charges are not'posted immediatly...so they can spend a lot of money in 15 minutes

My children have always had charging privileges on the sign and sail. We taught them that if they acted irresponsibly with it, they would work it off for us at home at an hourly rate. We considered it part of teaching the kids to be responsible with credit cards.

Right now it's set to no charging privileges, but I wanted to know if we put say 25 dollars on their cards will they be allowed to go over that amount? We will be with the younger ones most of the time, but if they go with one of their older siblings, I don't want to be surprised if there's a bunch of charges on my card. They are responsible, but they are still children & it's their first cruise. :)

We cruised in May and my friend had her 12yr old son that she put just an amount of cash $20 on to start. When it ran out he wasn't able to purchase anything else through that card until she added money to his card. Doesn't mean it can't happen just that for us it didn't and worked out perfectly. If he wanted money on his account he had to check in with his mom, this way she knew where he was and what he was doing most of the time.

I've never put a limit on my daughter's card before. She's never really

charged anything but a couple of sodas here and there on all of our cruises. Last cruise, in June on the Glory, she comes up to me and hands me $20. I said, "what's this for?" She says, "I decided to buy a round of virgin drinks last night for me and my friends up on the lido, made me feel like an adult." I cracked up and said, "well, don't let it go to your head.. I'm not trying to buy drinks for everybody on the ship...LOL." (I gave her her $20 back).

Love it! This is exactly how we were with our girls a few years back when they were that age. Luckily for us, they were both very responsible kids. :)

We do not put any cash on our cards... they have our Credit card and the card at the end of the cruise.

This year, I asked that my oldest son be given a $70 limit that would just be added to our charges. Once that limit was reached, he could no longer charge anything.

He bought his own soda card ... one he saw that bill... suddenly reality hit!!

Two chocolate shakes later, his money was gone.

Guest services makes it so easy... there are so many options. Bottom line, is you can manage spending anyway you would like.

Catrin

Thanks for the input. :)

We will go to guest services & see what they say. Hopefully once the money that we put on their card is gone they won't be allowed to charge anymore.

They are having to earn their spending money through chores, so maybe they will think a bit about what it is they buy. We have 5 children & a grandson that is going with us, so we told them we are paying for the cruise & the excursions. Spending money is on you. I made up a chart with different chores/compensation & hung it on our fridge. When they do something they let us know, we check it & if its done correctly they get money added to their cruise fund. If they choose not to, well, they know they won't be having much spending money.

Archived