Pre-Cruise Tour with Princess

Just booked a cruise on the Diamond Princess for January 2015. We are going to do a pre-cruise tour and currently booked for the 6 day Australian Outback. Now I am second guessing myself and considering the 7 day Ultimate Australian. The 7 day includes Darwin. It is a lot more money but this a once in a lifetime trip. Any suggestions??

We planned our own trip in Australia and it was fairly easy to do at about 1/3 the cost of a precruise trip with the cruise line. We basically had an airpass from Qantas that allowed us 5 flights that we used for Alice Springs area (Ayers Rock) Adelaide area (separate small plane flight to Kangaroo Island) Brisbane area (car rental to drive to Toowoomba to meet a pen pal) and a 4 day cruise on the Great Barrier Reef on a small ship that was wonderful (www.coralprincesscruise.com.au) which I called baby Princess because it has nothing to do with Big American Princess. All total we spent 32 days.

Australia is huge -- do one or two areas well and promise to get back. You can drive easily enough there but it is "on the wrong side" for Americans. Because it is English -- easy to go on your own. Aussies are warm and welcoming and friendly. Tourism offices are good resource. Hotels easy to book online (do let credit card company know you are booking in Australia so they don't question the charges).

I have now planned about 20 major trips before cruises including China, Thailand, Rio de Janerio Brazil, Santiago Chile, Quebec City Canada, Paris France and more. Australia was one of the earlier and easier of the trips to plan. I often start by looking at what cruise line or airline is showing you in their vacation packages. Look at bus tours -- if one fits use it and if schedule does not fit your time frame just do each piece of the trip to your own personal taste and comfort level. Major cities have city tours and day trips out of the city and at different levels and prices. The best is a private guide and car -- you get so much more packed into a short time when you are dropped off at the sight and lead through and then picked up quickly to go to the next place -- pretty expensive in Australia but very affordable in China, Thailand, South America. Use the information here and on Trip Advisor -- I have never been steered wrong -- good advice. Best things are it is your trip your way at a fraction of the cost IF you are comfortable doing it for yourself. If you prefer someone else to handle the details, check with a travel agent and see if a group tour or independent tour is available. Have a great time.

Great info and I recommend you listen to what Bowie MeMe has mentioned. The only issues are if time is an issue and money is not the Princess pre-criuise may be well suited for you. Keep up your research and identify your must sees and work from there. Good luck:D

I also agree with Bowie MeMe...you could easily organise things yourself. We have some airlines here that are much cheaper than Qantas (virgin, jetstar and tiger). They are no frills airlines but much cheaper.

Pick where you want to go and do a little homework. Tripadviser is a tremendous source...there are many hotel deals going as well.

As mic said.......good luck.

You all gave me something to think about. But what about our luggage??? I do not want to carry all our luggage around everywhere before the cruise and I am thinking that these small planes won't even be able to get it on the plane.

Hi, just a thought. You will be here in Australia in January, one of our hottest months and I wouldn't want to be travelling too far north or to the "Outback". The flies in the country will send you mad! Depending on how long you are here for ( plus its our school holidays) I would look at going to Tasmania or stay in Sydney and do day tours to Blue Mountains and other places of interest

But it all depends on what you want to experience and your tolerance of heat and humidity ( in the tropics)

You all gave me something to think about. But what about our luggage??? I do not want to carry all our luggage around everywhere before the cruise and I am thinking that these small planes won't even be able to get it on the plane.

I suggest that you have a hotel in Sydney pre cruise (the night before), and you use the same when you first arrive in Sydney. You can then leave some of your luggage there (they will hold it as you are coming back again) and go off on your adventures touring around.:D

Archived