Newbie's Air Deviation Question

NC&KY

We've never cruised with Oceania, but there's a very attractive repositioning cruise in November 2014 from Lisbon to Rio that we are considering. I looked at air fares today, and for me to book flights for this November (obviously can't check flights for November of 2014), it would be about $3000 per person. So we would definitely like to take the "included" air fares. We would like to arrive in Lisbon probably 4 days prior to the cruise and then stay in Rio a couple of days after the cruise (we've never been to either city). Does anyone have a guess as to what my deviation fees would be?

We've never cruised with Oceania, but there's a very attractive repositioning cruise in November 2014 from Lisbon to Rio that we are considering. I looked at air fares today, and for me to book flights for this November (obviously can't check flights for November of 2014), it would be about $3000 per person. So we would definitely like to take the "included" air fares. We would like to arrive in Lisbon probably 4 days prior to the cruise and then stay in Rio a couple of days after the cruise (we've never been to either city). Does anyone have a guess as to what my deviation fees would be?

I believe the current rate is $150pp. That is assuming you are happy with the flights they give you and don't ask them to use flights that YOU find. If O doesn't have a contract with the airline that could mean an additional fee.

Can't say when the basic fee will go up again ... It has escalated quite a bit over the years.

Mura

Provided there was no difference in air fare, the deviation fee at the present time is $150 per person.

Cenia

Go ahead and plan to fly in 4 days early and stay on in Rio. Last year we requested air deviation to Madrid and spent two weeks travelling Spain before embarking in Barcelona to Venice. We requested BA as airline on day of choosing and got exactly what we wanted for $150/person. Can't beat that. Just check airline sites that will give you routing and let your TA know which airline(s), date and flight times you desire and they will put in the request for you. We are doing BCN to RIO in November got exactly what we wanted. Don't be nervous...it will work out.

Provided there was no difference in air fare, the deviation fee at the present time is $150 per person.

Cenia

I'm not sure what you mean by "there was no difference in air fare." We will need to fly out of Louisville or Cincinnati, which will add $150 to each of the fares, and I'm sure that amount will be in addition to the deviation fee. But other than the $300 each, what else would there be (assuming I accept their offered flights)?

I'm not sure what you mean by "there was no difference in air fare." We will need to fly out of Louisville or Cincinnati, which will add $150 to each of the fares, and I'm sure that amount will be in addition to the deviation fee. But other than the $300 each, what else would there be (assuming I accept their offered flights)?

If you accept their offered flights that do not include any fare differential then you will not need to pay anymore than the $300 each that you have already determined. Sometimes individuals ask for specific flights that for some reason Oceania can not obtain at their contracted rate and there is a difference in the cost of the flight from what you asked for and what they usually pay. If that is the case, you can tell them that you are looking for flights that will not have this cost differential. When I have done a deviation, I have asked for any flight with a specific airline alliance that would not have a cost differential increase. That way, I am only paying for the (in my case) $150pp deviation fee.

We are on the Barcelona to Rio transatlantic this November which is similar to yours. We are flying in two days early and staying an extra four in Rio. We paid $150 each for the air deviation. We paid for this in April. The flights Oceania gave us were exactly what we wanted with suitable times. We just paid for our cruise last week and because of the air deviation we were able to change our seats to Economy Comfort. Our original coach seats were not bad. We just wanted a little bit more leg room. Our travel agent advised us to search out flights so would have an idea of what was available. You are correct that you probably could not find better fares than what Oceania will give you. We couldn't.

Good luck. It was fairly easy.

Pearl

Archived