Is it ok to take calmers+paracetamol tablets with me on the cruise?

columbofan

Hi,

I pretty much have everything set and wish to know what tablets I'm allowed to take onboard. As well as paracetamol (or 'aspirin'), I also want to take some 'calmers' with me, it's designed to reduce stress, anxiety and worry. These are bought over the counter in any grocery store (as I'm in the UK, I got these from Asda), here's a link to it:

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml?cmpid=ahc-_-ghs-_-asdacom-dsk-_-hp-_-sub_title#/product/1000000467885

Will this be ok to take on the ship? Shall I carry it in my bag as opposed to my luggage case? Is this likely to raise suspicions when going through customs (at Southampton port)?

I spoke to RCI customer service and my doctor and travel agent, they all said it should be ok. I wish to get honest opinions from fellow travellers too. My doctor says no doctor's note is needed.

Thanks

No problem, though your link led to an empty basket.

Keep them in the original packaging.

Take enough to last until your return (paracetemol is a generic name & foreign chemists will know it, but I don't know about the others or whether they're prescription-only abroad).

But don't take excessively more than you need.

Doesn't really matter how you carry them, her majesty's finest in Southampton won't be interested. But bear in mind it may be several hours between handing over your checked cases & their being delivered to your cabin door.

Applies to all ports on regular Southampton/Southampton cruises, but post again if you are visiting any ports in the Persian Gulf.

No worries :cool:

JB :)

Hi,

I pretty much have everything set and wish to know what tablets I'm allowed to take onboard. As well as paracetamol (or 'aspirin'), I also want to take some 'calmers' with me, it's designed to reduce stress, anxiety and worry. These are bought over the counter in any grocery store (as I'm in the UK, I got these from Asda), here's a link to it:

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml?cmpid=ahc-_-ghs-_-asdacom-dsk-_-hp-_-sub_title#/product/1000000467885

Will this be ok to take on the ship? Shall I carry it in my bag as opposed to my luggage case? Is this likely to raise suspicions when going through customs (at Southampton port)?

I spoke to RCI customer service and my doctor and travel agent, they all said it should be ok. I wish to get honest opinions from fellow travellers too. My doctor says no doctor's note is needed.

Thanks

No problem bringing any kind of meds onboard. We don't leave them in their original containers and have never had a problem.

But bear in mind it may be several hours between handing over your checked cases & their being delivered to your cabin door. :cool:

...which is why it is always recommended to take any necessary medications in a carry on with you when you board. As you should with any valuables and other items needed on board prior to luggage arrival.

We don't leave them in their original containers and have never had a problem.

That's true for pretty-well everyone.

But I can think of a dozen admittedly-unlikely scenarios where original packaging, esp blister-packs, might make a difference.

For instance, the pack reminds you how many you've taken.

It's less likely that they might be illegal, avoiding any grief & delay while they're analysed.

Useful to an emergency paramedic who'll know what medication you might be taking, helping to assess the likely cause & avoiding administering medication which might adversely react.

All very unlikely, but is there any advantage in taking them out of the original packaging?

JB :) (in pedantic mood ;))

The calmers aren't prescribed, they're over the counter. I even have the receipt for it, so might just put this in the toiletry bag with all the other stuff I bought - deodorant, etc.

By the way, quick question - are you allowed to bring deodorants, antiperspirants, shaving gels etc onboard in their original canisters or would these be seen as 'explosives'??

The calmers aren't prescribed, they're over the counter. I even have the receipt for it, so might just put this in the toiletry bag with all the other stuff I bought - deodorant, etc.

By the way, quick question - are you allowed to bring deodorants, antiperspirants, shaving gels etc onboard in their original canisters or would these be seen as 'explosives'??

No need for receipts, but no harm in putting them in.

Taking stuff onto a cruise ship isn't like taking hand-luggage onto an aircraft.

Regular bathroom stuff, no worries.:cool:

That's true for pretty-well everyone.

But I can think of a dozen admittedly-unlikely scenarios where original packaging, esp blister-packs, might make a difference.

For instance, the pack reminds you how many you've taken.

It's less likely that they might be illegal, avoiding any grief & delay while they're analysed.

Useful to an emergency paramedic who'll know what medication you might be taking, helping to assess the likely cause & avoiding administering medication which might adversely react.

All very unlikely, but is there any advantage in taking them out of the original packaging?

JB :) (in pedantic mood ;))

I should have added that in the ziplock bag where we put the daily packets, we also have copies of the original Rx info. Also we have the PCP's printout meds list which also includes the 4 OTC meds as well as the names of all the Rx meds.

We've never had to show any of the paperwork, even on our international arrivals & departures, but we have it in case needed.

For domestic TSA I also have printout of their site where it states that meds do not have to be in original containers. I've never needed that either for TSA.

The advantage in taking them out of original containers is space. DH is on 15 Rx meds. He gets them from V.A. Pharmacy in 3month supply in large bottles, even for the tiny pills. Those 15 bottles would take up a large amount of carry- on space which already has a BP machine and a Glucosemeter kit. So, I make up individual daily packets instead of taking all those large pill bottles.

If you know Govt bureaucracy you'll know we can't get smaller bottles from a V.A. Pharmacy.

Interestingly 'big bottles' of medication are almost a thing of the past in Europe. Virtually all our prescription medications come in blister packs. There are a small number of medications, usually drugs with variable dosage, like some neuroleptic medication, that come in bottles. I am a GP (family doctor) in a practice which dispenses its own medication (rather than the patient taking their prescription to a community pharmacist) and over the years there has been an almost total switch to blister packs. This is particularly useful for travelling as you only have to take as many blister packs as you need for the trip, in an original labelled box and you should meet with the most stringent regulations virtually anywhere in the world.

The only time we usually issue a letter to explain medication is, for some destinations or for flying, when the patient will be carrying injectables (and the associated paraphenalia) or Controlled Drugs (generally opiates).

So, you can bring anything that you can buy over the counter in the UK, including paracetamol (known as acetaminophen in the US) and Kalms or other herbal medication. It is a good principal to carry any medication (with valuables and electronics, cameras etc) in your hand luggage in case of any delays or problems with your luggage.

We've not had any problems sailing, but on three out of three occasions when we've flown to the US via Amsterdam (anything to avoid Heathrow or Gatwick!) at least one piece of our luggage hasn't made the trip with us, and has had to be couriered to us at the other end, generally a considerable distance as we've moved on to another state!

For any trip of one week, or less, duration I put most of my medication into the little boxes with 7 compartments. This saves a huge amount of space compared with carrying all the original boxes around with me. The only things kept in their original packaging are the prn opiates.

Archived