NCL Dawn Bos-Bermuda May 2014 - Book Or Wait?

vicbomb5

Hey everyone,

So my wife and I are big NCL fans, we have done a cruise or two every year since we have been together, 7-years running now, but this year is different and I need some advice.

We have a newborn and we are looking for the best possible trip for him for his first cruise.

We live in the Boston area and are thinking Boston-Bermuda is the best bet since it requires no driving, flights, etc.

May 2014 appears to be the best in terms of prices at the moment, and he will be almost a year-old at that point.

Right now, a balcony cabin is showing up at a price of $1,199 per person, with $399 for the little one.

Do you guys think, with past experience, that these prices will stay static? Or would a promotion around that end of May timeframe potentially drop these lower?

Debating whether to just book it now to start paying it off over time, or wait until December...

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

-Vic

Hey everyone,

So my wife and I are big NCL fans, we have done a cruise or two every year since we have been together, 7-years running now, but this year is different and I need some advice.

We have a newborn and we are looking for the best possible trip for him for his first cruise.

We live in the Boston area and are thinking Boston-Bermuda is the best bet since it requires no driving, flights, etc.

May 2014 appears to be the best in terms of prices at the moment, and he will be almost a year-old at that point.

Right now, a balcony cabin is showing up at a price of $1,199 per person, with $399 for the little one.

Do you guys think, with past experience, that these prices will stay static? Or would a promotion around that end of May timeframe potentially drop these lower?

Debating whether to just book it now to start paying it off over time, or wait until December...

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

-Vic

That is super high for a Balcony Cabin in May.

I booked a suite in August for about that during the February sale.

I would look at prices on BLACK FRIDAY and the following two weeks, and if they are not good enough I would look again in February.

If your dates are flexible I would go even further and tell you to book 30 days out......

Most Bermudans willnot swim prior to June. Early may will still be a little chilly. Water temps will be chilly as well. By the last week in May you are into a little bit of warmer weather.

The May and early June sail dates are always the subject of major sales during the beginning of the year........

Once kids are out of school is when you run into really high prices......but my number for that time of the year would be about tops $849.00

Last year the inside cabins were going for about $400.00 for most of May. I even went back and looked at old emails from the winter and early spring.......

My advice is to wait as long as you can....unless you get something that good by Thanksgiving or in February.

Thank you for the reply!

The last time we did BOS - Bermuda it was in July, that's a very good point about the water temperatures, I did not consider that I can't lie. I always consider Bermuda in that Caribbean area, but it really is nowhere near it.

I will definitely take your advice and wait it out, we are completely flexible with the dates, need to give work a week or two notice tops and my wife is home next year with the baby so she can be ready whenever as well.

Thank you again I appreciate it, I'm just going to put the money in the piggy bank for now and book when the sales come.

Thanks,

Vic

I would look at prices on BLACK FRIDAY and the following two weeks, and if they are not good enough I would look again in February.

If your dates are flexible I would go even further and tell you to book 30 days out......

Most Bermudans willnot swim prior to June. Early may will still be a little chilly. Water temps will be chilly as well. By the last week in May you are into a little bit of warmer weather.

The May and early June sail dates are always the subject of major sales during the beginning of the year........

Once kids are out of school is when you run into really high prices......but my number for that time of the year would be about tops $849.00

Last year the inside cabins were going for about $400.00 for most of May. I even went back and looked at old emails from the winter and early spring.......

My advice is to wait as long as you can....unless you get something that good by Thanksgiving or in February.

Well that makes me fee like crap! I just booked a Breakaway mini suite for a lot more than $849! Are there really sales on Black Friday??

Well that makes me fee like crap! I just booked a Breakaway mini suite for a lot more than $849! Are there really sales on Black Friday??

We are definitely not talking about Breakaway, that is a different animal, number one because it sails from NY and number two because it is the newest hottest ship. My advice was specifically tailored to the Dawn, a 12 year old ship out of Boston.

You are not locked into the price that you have paid until 75 days out on the cruise you have booked. Watch the prices and if they drop, at Thanksgiving or early 2014, get a price adjustment, you should always know your final payment date and should be checking cabins right up until the last week if this sort of thing (money) concerns you....it concerns me so I do it.

I never depend on a TA to do it....some people have great TAs that do it....but I don't so I rely on my own fingers to check:)

And yes, Black Friday is on e of the hottest sales of the year...... Also, the first 45 days of the year, when everyone has their credit cards maxed from the holidays is also a hot time.....cruise lines need money coming in all year.......

You can book now and cancel or change later.

As to the comment about "best cruise for one year old". You realize he will not know what/where/how is going on? Right? And very limited if any memories.

I am happy for you and your newborn. They are wonderful as we have our own kids (cruised at 4 years old) and two grandchildren as well.

But, taking them on a cruise does pose some changes in activities (dining, nights out, tours, sightseeing, etc). Not saying at all you should not go on a cruise with child. Just know for the child's sake, they are just as happy wondering the aisles at Wal-Mart - LOL!

Anyways, book earlier and watch prices.

As to the comment about "best cruise for one year old". You realize he will not know what/where/how is going on? Right? And very limited if any memories.

I am happy for you and your newborn. They are wonderful as we have our own kids (cruised at 4 years old) and two grandchildren as well.

But, taking them on a cruise does pose some changes in activities (dining, nights out, tours, sightseeing, etc). Not saying at all you should not go on a cruise with child. Just know for the child's sake, they are just as happy wondering the aisles at Wal-Mart - LOL!

Anyways, book earlier and watch prices.

The Wal-mart comment is priceless and so true!!!!

Don't we all remember Christmases where the little ones were playing in the boxes and ignoring the expensive presents:)

I think the "best cruise" comment was more of "best cruise logistically"- not based on the child's preference, but as OP stated, not having to fly, no long drive, etc. I'd definitely be more comfortable taking a baby on a Bermuda cruise where you don't have to haul back to the ship before sailaway every day, and as far as port countries go, Bermuda is quite a bit safer than many of the Caribbean ports.

We are definitely not talking about Breakaway, that is a different animal, number one because it sails from NY and number two because it is the newest hottest ship. My advice was specifically tailored to the Dawn, a 12 year old ship out of Boston.

You are not locked into the price that you have paid until 75 days out on the cruise you have booked. Watch the prices and if they drop, at Thanksgiving or early 2014, get a price adjustment, you should always know your final payment date and should be checking cabins right up until the last week if this sort of thing (money) concerns you....it concerns me so I do it.

I never depend on a TA to do it....some people have great TAs that do it....but I don't so I rely on my own fingers to check:)

And yes, Black Friday is on e of the hottest sales of the year...... Also, the first 45 days of the year, when everyone has their credit cards maxed from the holidays is also a hot time.....cruise lines need money coming in all year.......

Yeah, certainly Breakaway isn't 100% comparable, but we were looking at both ships for next May but booked Breakaway. Great info on Black Friday. I think I need to pay in full by Mid Feb, so I'll be watching...

We paid $1,299 pp for a mid-ship mini suite in May of this year so I'd say the price is high. But, I'd book now & watch for price drops. I'm pretty sure they honor them up until final payment. (someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

You might want to consider the mini suite with a toddler. We found the balcony cabin on Dawn to be on the small side which is why we were in the mini this year. With a toddler, it will be a tight fit. Don't forget there's no tub for bath time..........

Archived