Royal or Crown at Christmas for teens?

hsaroya

Hi, everyone. I'm currently booked on the Royal with my 14 yo DD and 16 yo DS as well as some extended family. Given all the reports that are coming in about the Royal (and I'm only considering the ones by actual Royal passengers), I'm starting to worry that my selection, while absolutely in line with what the adults in our group appreciate about a cruise ship, might be lacking for my teens. Bear in mind that after a number of Princess cruises, we introduced them to the Oasis this past Christmas, so they got a dose of a ship on which activities are key! I'm starting to wonder if I should switch over to the Crown (itinerary is a bit of a moot point for us - our only desire is to be away from Edmonton's harsh winter for a while!) The Crown is also approx $300 less, although that is not a huge consideration. The adults are looking forward to the glitter and the shine of the new ship, with the new pizza venue and the revamped IC, but I'm afraid I might be short changing my children.

For those of you who have experienced the Royal and the Crown ( or one of the Crown's sister ships), can you please give me your opinion on the Royal as a choice for teens? My kids are very active, would make good use of b'ball, ping pong, and pool/hot tub facilities. They also very much enjoy good food, particularly fresh pasta, pizza, and IC gelato.

What would you do??

I am just off the Royal and it really has some wonderful features. The new retaurant Alfredo's is great...it has more items than pizza and all quite tasty. The IC is a HUGE improvement over the other large Princess ships, which is an areaI always felt Princess needed imrprovement. Our sailing was full but we never had an issue finding a seat, waiting in line since there are multiple buffet lines, and the food was not only good but presented nicely. And the Piazza and International cafe and Gelateria is beautiful. Also the burger grill, free soft serve pizza by the slice (all near the pool). They also open the dancing water fountains up as a play area at vArious times.

A far as facilities for teens there is a large sports court, ping ping, pools and hot tubs, and MUTS. The TV's in the rooms were large flat screen with on demand programming and movies. There is a teen club but I did not see it, however if it is on par with the children's club which our little granddaughters attended, I'm sure it will be great.

I can't comment about the Royal, but here is some info regarding the Crown.

The Crown does not have surf riders and rock climbing walls like the RC ships. It does have a staffed teen center and video arcade, and outdoor area where teens can go. The Crown also has two outdoor pools, Neptune’s Reef and Calypso Reef with 4 hot tubs which are available for use by youth. In addition to normal dining and the buffet the Crown has Pizza by the slice, soft ice cream, and The Trident Grill where you can get burgers, fries, dogs, brats, and chicken. These are by the Lido pool area. Nice desserts and soft cookies are available at The International Café on deck 5. All mentioned is included in the cruise fare, no extra charges.

These soft drink packages are also available at the prices mentioned. They will be a sticker on the teen’s cruise card.

Unlimited Soda Package

Receive a souvenir tumbler and select from a variety of unlimited soft drinks served by the glass at all bars and restaurant locations throughout your cruise. Price includes service charge.

Item #0523

$5.18 per person/per day*

Unlimited Soda & More Package

Indulge yourself with this premium Unlimited Soda & more Package,† entitling you to the above Unlimited Soda Package plus any mocktails, juices, shakes, floats and complimentary hot chocolate throughout your cruise. Price includes service charge.

Item #2312

$8.05 per person/per day*

After the Oasis the Princess ships will seem dull to the teens. The adults will enjoy the new mega ship .[/

And therein lay the pros and cons - you've hit the nail on the head! I KNOW the adults will have an amazing time on the new ship as we are looking forward to quiet, relaxing, uneventful sea days during which we can laze on a lounger with a book and indulge in good food. Lazing around on the Oasis was never an option - too much to see and do! It was wonderful, but I want to get back to that slower pace. Am just afraid that with the decrease in pools etc, that Royal might be lacking something for the kids.

Sunsetbeachgal, I very much enjoyed your review of the Royal. It was quite a relief to read your firsthand account after all the negative posts from those who had not yet been on it!

Thank you. Like any other ship, there are some things I would change, but the pluses FAR outweighed the negatives. Good luck with whatever you decide on. We were with children and they loved the Royal, and we had sailed with that family the prior year on the Freedom of the Seas, and all much preferred food (MDR, buffet, Alfredo's, International Cafe', pizza) and service on Princess. However I know teens are a different species!! ;)

I haven't sailed Royal yet, (November) but I've done lots of research on the kids program and looking at the teen one since I have one turning 13 soon. They made an entire dedicated space for teens outside and it has lounge chairs, sitting areas and what is either a hot tub or just a wading pool. I've heard it told both ways so I'm not positive. But its nice that the teens have their own place to hang. They also have a DJ booth were they can create their own playlists. They will have mocktail parties, sports competitions and late night movies.They have the typical indoor space that you've seen on the other ships but it sounds like they've tried to make it more enticing for the teens on the Royal. Hope this helps.

Bruce:cool:

Here is a detailed description and the Registration Form for the Remix Teen Center (ages 13-17):

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/Teen_Guidelines_Registration.pdf

And here are pictures of the Remix area on Royal Princess:

http://www.cruisetricks.de/galerie/index.php/royal-princess/kids-teens?page=2

Hope this helps! :D

I will have 14 and a 13 year old boys with us on the new Royal for Christmas and New Year B2B.

The boys cant wait to go because they have seen the photos and the updates during the ships build. It is definitely the age group that has the best dedicated outdoor area.

I also have a 10 year boy who will be in the other kids club and although the indoor area looks amazing they miss out on a dedicated outdoor area.

There seems to be enough to amuse them though between kids club, swimming, basketball, mini golf, shows, pizza, ice cream, IC, supervised and organised activities etc Port days and meeting new friends. Im sure they will be more than happy being onboard!!

We have also been on the Ruby and Diamond and the facilities were just as good.

Next New Years we will be on Voyager of the seas so will then have something to compare different companies, teen areas and ship facilities.

Each cruise ship is an adventure for kids, teens and adults.

Cant wait!!!

Cheers Danni

We did a 2 day taster cruise on Royal followed by a 17 night on Crown in June this year.

I would chose Crown for you teenager.

Although we liked Royal I felt it was lacking in swimming pool space, especially on a warm weather cruise.

Royal is geared to passengers spending money in the spa and special restaurants. Just my opinion.

Archived