Suite Life on the Royal

Dr. Pam

ROYAL PRINCESS : July 29- August 10, 2013

A week since we arrived home...and I am still having difficulty with not hanging my breakfast menu out my front door! Our family of 4(DH, DS 18 years, DD 15 years and myself) had a wonderful time in Europe on land and on ship. Here are my thoughts from someone who enjoys luxury travel (no flaming…this is just my perspective.  )

Flights: Air Canada Executive First Class to Frankfurt (almost 10 hours) and then Lufthansa Biz to Venice. I love both of these airlines. Great service and usually are on time. WE left Canada on Friday, July 26 and arrived in Venice on Saturday evening around 5:30PM local time.

Venice Transportation: This outfit was great! I had pre-ordered our private water taxi tickets online. Exited baggage claim and as per instructions, the company booth was right there. They checked my print-out and directed us to the water taxi area. It was easy to find, but for those of you who have any mobility issues, it was a bit of hike with luggage in tow. We were met by a greeter who directed us to our taxi driver Venice style. ;) Wow, we had arrived. We traversed the water highway over to Venice and our driver navigated the canals to bring us to the Grand Canal, where apparently we hit rush hour traffic (Venice style)…what fun!  I will also mention that we used this taxi company on Monday to take us from the hotel to the ship. They were on time and polite….works for me. I highly recommend Consorzio Motoscafi! P.S. I found them on TripAdvisor.com, my go-to site for checking travel sites. I also try to give back to Trip by being a frequent contributor. For the record, in my review, I will mention companies, hotels, restaurants, but I hope to give a more detailed review of each of the companies in TRIPADVISOR. If anyone is interested, I am WEARECANADIAN on TA.

Venice Hotel: Gritti Palace! (SPG LUXURY COLLECTION). Ok, here it is….one of the best hotels/resorts that I have had the pleasure of staying at. From its perfect location on the Grand Canal, to the welcoming and gracious staff, to the newly renovated luxurious rooms (think ceiling to floor marble washrooms and 1000 thread count linens  ), to the ultra-amazing Club del Doge restaurant (where we had a fabulous dinner on Sunday evening), this property has made me a fan forever! (I used points for most of our 2 nights as we had to reserve 2 rooms (connecting) with our teenagers.) I WILL BE BACK!!

Royal Princess:

Embarkation: WE took our pre-reserved water taxi for 11:00 AM as mentioned and were delivered to a pier where our luggage was taken (and yes those little luggage tags that you print out from Princess and staple on, work just fine) Now, I have to mention that as we approached the Royal Princess, we looked in awe. From my perspective, she is a beautiful looking ship. ( WE were recently on the Celebrity Equinox in the MED, and my initial impressions of her was that she looked boxy and not at all sleek…translation: kind of ugly!! (No flaming Celebrity die-hards!) WE exited our water taxi after our luggage was collected and headed left over to the terminal. Princess had reps stationed all over, ensuring that we would find the terminal. WE entered the terminal and went up the escalators to see that we were not the only excited guests who wanted to board early! We were directed to the Suite line and were quickly given our Princess cards and directed to a seating area. We choose not to sit but rather wandered over to the “duty free” liquor that was situated right at check-in. We were told by the shop keeper, that we could each bring 2 bottles of wine or hard liquor….not quite what was stated on the Princess policy. We declined as we did not want to have the hard liquor held until we departed the ship. OK>>>so heads up. We could have brought anything on board that day, and nothing would have been said. We saw people bringing multiple bottles (carried) on board at the Venice port and every other port after that. We brought limoncello onboard in Naples, and different wines (that we brought home) from other ports. NOTHING was ever said! I cannot say that this easy liquor tolerance policy is the norm, only that this is how it was done on our cruise. We did not consume (OK maybe one bottle of wine in our suite ;) ) but purchased wines that safely made it back to Canada in our luggage. How safe it is in our wine cellar….well that remains to be seen. : D

Ok.. so back to the embarkation……It was announced that suite and elite guests could not begin the embarkation. Yeah….we did not even have to sit down…it was about 11:45 AM! However, there was abundant “gate lice”, that is, non-suite, elite people who were crowding the entrance, so that we could not get through. I think Princess should have a more established regimen for boarding….anyway, we finally made it through and walked back outside and down to board the gangplank on Deck 4. This was a bit of a disappointment to say the least. We walked into the ship (utility area) and then into the elevator area. No atrium and band, just an area where we waited for an elevator…although it was expedited when the elevator attendants found out we were in a suite. SO folks, boarding the ship was a bit of a let-down compared to my past experiences on Celebrity Equinox, Oasis, Brilliance, Splendour, Disney Magic and I think the Golden Princess.

We quickly found our suite R731 and our kids’ Deluxe Balcony R729 To be waiting and ready for us!

Stay tuned for more.

Edited by Dr. Pam
duplicate entries

Accommodations: R731 (S2) & R729 (DB) We were greeted by Andre from Romania as we saw our name cards on the door. I personally think this identification is OK for arrival, but after that I feel that the cards should be removed for security sake…just my $.02. Ok, so now a review of the suite. I loved the muted colour of beige, brown and creamy marble. I liked the layout of our suite. There was a nice marble foyer that lead into the living area with a small half bath (toilet and sink) that guests could use, while still closing off the remainder of the split bath (shower, soaking tube and sink and vanity area). We found the living area small (compared to a Royal Suite on the Celebrity Equinox) but well appointed. There was sliding glass doors that exited to the aft of the ship. We were thrilled to see the huge balcony off our suite. (To compare…the same suite 1 floor below us had a verandah that was less than ½ the depth of ours……if space is a priority, do your homework folks!) Our verandah wrapped around so that we could access the master bedroom with another set of glass doors. Andre, our room steward, quickly opened up the balcony divider between our suite and our kids room…….Wow what a great panorama ! Oh and yes, the verandahs are narrow on the balcony rooms…for me that is a huge oversight on the Royal’s design, as we really enjoy that outdoor living space. But I cannot complain, as we hit the jackpot of Balconies. I will however, critique some issues with the S2 balcony of R731. Depending on how the ship was sailing, there were times of the day, where there was no shade to be found. More often than not, we were able to find shade by pulling our loungers close to the ship wall. I did manage to read my book and sip a little wine while watching the wake…AAAAHHHH!  However, if Princess is reading this, perhaps you might be able to find some loungers and cushions that don’t look like they were rescued from some failing island resort!! The teak furniture looked like it had seen one too many seasons…..and this is supposed to be a new ship??!! It also did not help that some days the soot left a gritty layer all over the furniture and deck…but we were aware of this when we reserved and made suitable accommodation by placing our pool towels over the furniture. Now, the part that we loved……our family of 4 moved the 2 blue chairs from the kids balcony, over to our deck dining table where we had only 2 wooden chairs and were able to enjoy a suite (sweet) breakfast most mornings (divine) and a couple of main dining room dinners delivered to our verandah. Truly, this is a great feature of residing in a suite!

Other perks in the suite….minibar set-up that can be easily exchanged for your preferences. Also, free laundry service was invaluable when I need just a fresh press on all the gents shirts and tuxes. I only sent out to have laundry cleaned once (which included shorts,t-shirts and PJ’s) I did all of our other laundry as I like it done a certain way. I was thrilled with the Laundromat that was so close to our suite….this was the first time that I have been on a ship(that I was aware) that had Laundromats onboard. This is a big selling feature for me in hindsight!!

Concierge Lounge: Compared to other CL’s, sadly the Royal Princess was a bit of a let-down. The positives included a good cappuccino/coffee machine, light snacks (fruit, cheese, wraps, cookies, etc.) I would suggest to all suite guests, that before you purchase a coffee card for your java guests, that before you purchase a coffee card for your java fixes, (because yes it is true, that regular Princess coffee is A W F U L!!!) that you try out the Concierge lounge. We found the coffees to be good , not great, but the convenience factor of grabbing a java that is so close to our suite negated the long run to the International Café or the Live Café(which did not open til later in the morn.)

Still on the Concierge Lounge thought…..I did not see access to business machines, the concierge themselves could not function as a purser (they could not recode my demagnetized sea card). And frankly, I found the concierges not to be engaging and not present very often.

I feel that Princess in introducing this new Concierge Lounge missed the mark. I have been in CL’s on land and on ship and this one did not foster the atmosphere that should be both convivial and relaxed for their guests. They should consider putting in a Happy Hour so that guests would come and meet. This lounge was way too somber and lonely. 

Meet & Mingle: Our M&M was scheduled for our first sea day in Club 6. Thank you to DragonQueen (lovely lady from the UK) for organizing this. There was a good turnout from a lot of the people who had signed up! Hi to all my new friends!! HOWEVER!!!!Where was PRINCESS??? No coffee or cookies….or for that matter anything!!! Not even an officer, a steward….oh wait, 2 nice ladies from the kids/teen club that just wanted to invite any interested participants. This was a huge disappointment and a black mark on Princess’s rap sheet. Can you spell “c-h-e-a-p” and “i-n-g-r-a-t-i-o-u-s?” Enough said!

Stay tuned for more...

Now for some positives:

Food: on Princess was probably the best we have ever experienced at sea. We had Anytime Dining and enjoyed the Captain’s Dinner and Chef’s dinner on 2 evenings. Our waiters that we requested in the Symphony Dining Room (table 73) were Alexander and Jeannette. They were simply great in their knowledge of menu items, their delivery and their rapport. It was a pleasure to be served by such gracious and accommodating staff.

We ate at Sabatini’s twice….our first night aboard and our last. Great food, service, surroundings and atmosphere! On our last evening we had the pleasure of meeting the Master Chef of the Princess fleet who was onboard for our sailing. He came to our table and introduced himself, but I had already recognized him from his talk on Princess Live in the morning. A wonderful gentleman who is to be commended for his creations across the fleet. Like I said, Princess is holding top-spot in my estimation and experience for dining at sea. The buffets had top shelf produce which was always varied, fresh stir fries, great grilled chicken wings….there was something for everyone! Crown Grill was excellent as was the International Café for their great sandwiches, Paninis, salads and desserts. Let me put it this way….it was a good thing that we had a port intensive cruise where lots of walking was required…..it wore off all that wonderful food that we enjoyed onboard the Royal.

Fitness Facilities: SMALL!!! For the number of guests onboard, I am sorry to say that the gym is very inadequate. Good equipment for the most part, but not enough of it and not spaced out. I had signed up for a spin class and quit after the first day as 20 people were crowded into a small inadequately ventilated room with no water bottles to be seen. Come on Princess, we pay for these additional classes and you cannot provide gratis water bottles……hint hint…Celebrity and RCCL does! Sadly, my DH and I gave the gym a pass and used vigorous walking in the heat as our modus operandi for exercise. THis is definitely a negative for me wanting to reserve another Princess cruise in the future unless other Princess ships have better fitness facilities.

Tours: I researched and reserved private tours for my family. This is our 4th Med cruise and I know what works for getting the most out of our day! Yes, it can be a bit pricey but I knew that ahead of time. For people interested in trying the private tour route, my advice would be to do your research on the type of guide/outfit that you are looking for and keep your tour numbers around 10 or less. This will keep the price comparable to a ship’s tour and you will be able to see and experience a lot more in your day. This is who I used and my recommendation of them. (Please keep in mind that we are an active family of 4 DH And myself are both 50 and also our 2 teenage children.)

Venice: friendinvenice.com Nadia was our guide. I would recommend a day with her if you have already been to Venice and want to get off the beaten track. She took us to a lovely Doge’s palace on the Grand Canal for a little Prosecco and nibblers. That was the highlight of our day! Nadia does not want to visit the big highlights, she wants to introduce you to other parts of Venice.

Istanbul: aykutayik02@yahoo.com . OK…Aykut is a winner! He was prompt picking us up at the ship, had a private driver at his disposal, his history narrative was excellent, we saw so much of the old town…(.but will have to return because Istanbul is so amazing and so vast,). Aykut was easygoing, fun and adaptable. Our family loved him. There is a reason why he is number 1 on Tripadvisor!

Kusadasi: We visited Ephesus 2 years ago, and knowing this was a very short stop, we decided to find some Genuine Fake products. Easy day.

Still ready for more...otherwise ignore! :)

Rome: Driverinrome.com . This was our 4th visit to Rome (which had included a longer stay on our last visit). We were familiar with all the big sites, so we wanted to explore some of the sites less visited. We just hired a driver for the day (This was the 4th time we had used the services of Driverinrome….so repeat business speaks for itself.) We had Alex for the day and what a treat! He was flexible, easygoing, prompt, etc,etc…Highest recommendation! We did not need a licensced tour guide just a driver and Alex was amazing. I had organized the SCAVI tour at the Vatican….which is not easy, but I did my homework ahead of time and was granted tickets for our day in Rome. I am Catholic and I am always moved by St. Peter’s Basilica, La Pieta, and all the amazing works of art at the Vatican. But personally, the SCAVI tour was a bit of a let down…mainly because it was too hot, no ventilation in the necropolis and had a moldy smell. I am not a whiner…and I was grateful that I had the opportunity to visit, but I would recommend anyone reading this to do this tour in less warm weather…like October! Regardless, we had a great day and we made sure to throw our coin the the Trevi Fountain to ensure a return visit…..hey, it has worked so far!

Naples: info@toursofcapri.com Michaela We have been to Pompeii, other sites, Amalfi coast, etc. 2or 3 times but had never been to Capri. Our guide Michaela (or Michael for people like me who kill the melodic Italian language!) was fantastic. He was waiting for us (we were one of the first off the ship as I knew the times for the hydrofoil that cross to Capri). We were fortunate and made the 8:30 Am crossing. Michael had a driver for us to take us to the Blue Grotto before the crowds. Here is a hint…..do not take a boat to the Blue Grotto, you will wait and wait. If you are able bodied, one can negotiate the stairs down to the Grotto and have a short wait…like 5 minutes. WE also took the chair lift to the top of the island…absolutely breathtaking!. Michael was absolutely stellar in getting us to the sites without a wait…we always seemed to be ahead of the crowd. He took us to an amazing B&B in the hills where we enjoyed a spectacular lunch which was all grown on their own land including the vino!

Fabulous! Everything (including the return hydrofoil)was included in the price of the tour except for lunch. I give this company my highest recommendation and would love to revisit that day! WOW!

Livorno: We used Driverinrome to transport us to Florence where we met our guide. IT was another hot day and we were happy to get a head start before the crowds arrived. We had our guide for 4 hours and then we were on our own, where we met up with David our driver and he returned a tired and weary family back to the port of Livorno. As an aside, I believe that DriverinROme contracts out their business from Livorno (I did not even know our guide’s name until we arrived in Florence). So, I did not feel that the overall experience was as personal as I have come to expect with Remo, Daniele, Alex, etc. I think my recommendation to any of my readers would be to do some research and use a local outfit rather than a company based out of ROME.

Edited by Dr. Pam
duplicate entry

Athens: nikosloukas1@gmail.com Our driver was Makus (spelling) and our guide was Eleni. I should preface to say that this was our 2nd time using this company…we had Nikos as our driver 2 years ago and were very happy. Well, we were extremely happy once again. Our driver, Makus was a safe driver, knowledgeable, took us to a great place for lunch and even flagged a vendor at a stop light to purchase the Greek Pretzels that the locals enjoy for breakfast. He was great! Now Eleni, WOW, WOW, WOW. Talk about bringing Greek history and mythology to life. Our kids said she was the best….and this is all during a sweltering hot day! Beg Nikos for this team, they were amazing!!

Mykonos: I had arranged a beach day, as we have previously visited this island, and I knew our family needed an easy beach day. Two years ago, we did a beach day with Celebrity….It was an OK beach but we were not allowed enough time before we had to board the huge tour bus to head back to town. (Dear readers…perhaps you are getting the notion that we like to be in charge of our time and that although it works for our family, it may not work for those less adventurous.)Our ship was not expected into port until noon (hot and windy) and we were not sure if the Captain would allow us to tender….we were lucky…it was a little rough, but we made it. I had organized as beach day at the Santa Marina (SPG) where I found it was more reasonable to book the lowest category of room . This included a pick-up and return shuttle ride from the port, a lovely upgrade of a room so that we could change into our bathing suits and later shower off (we didn’t have to be back to ship until around 7PM.) This hotel is cool, contemporary luxury with a PRIVATE sandy (read not pebble) beach. Divine….:) It was fun to watch the big yachts in front of the beach, have their jetty bring their owners to the beach for a little RnR. IT was a great day. This hotel warrants a return visit for a longer stay!

Toulon: For our last day, we opted to do the one ship’s tour to Bourme les Mimosa. We were familiar with this area, as we had rented a villa in Provence a few years ago, so we had visited most of this area previously. I also wanted a short day (morning only) so that our family could get packed and organized in the afternoon and be able to enjoy the last evening on the ship.

Barcelona: DISEMBARKATION  We had put most of our luggage out the night before. I put my breakfast order form on our door knob one last time.  ( we were still able to order a full suite breakfast on our last day….I love this about Princess Suites!) We finished breakfast, last minute items packed, thanked Olga our cheery breakfast steward and Andre, our amazing, kind ever ready suite and room steward…and we said goodbye to R731 and R729 for the last time. We went down the hall to the Concierge Lounge where we waited until the Concierge alerted us that we could depart….just a few minutes. We were off the ship in less than 10 minutes, claimed our luggage and found our driver from Barcelona Airport Transfers info@barcelona-airport-transfers.com. We arrived at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel Arts. This was our 3rd stay at this hotel and we love it! Serene, cool, elegant and luxurious and right on the beach. Champagne and water being served as you are waiting to check in. Rooms are well appointed with the most luxurious bedding and mattresses….DIVINE. I will mention that this hotel is not for the faint of wallet, but it is worth every penny! I just wished we did not have to leave the hotel by 4:45AM to head to the airport! (Oh, and I should mention the spectacular breakfast buffet that the Hotel Arts has. The hotel was gracious enough to let us partake of the breakfast (brunch for us) on the morning that we arrived as we knew that it would not be open at 4:00 AM the next morning…..heck the clubs on the beach were just closing at that time!!! 

Thoughts……

We had a choice of any ship in the Med that we wanted. The itinerary was the ultimate deciding factor for us. We are active and wanted to see and do! We never once used the pools that were way too crowded and chaotic….probably the worst I have ever seen on a ship! We love the water, but these pools did not work for us. We were quite happy to explore the ship on our sea days and enjoy our lovely suite and balcony. I cannot say enough about the wonderful crew that was onboard the Royal. They are a selling feature for Princess, as is the great food. We enjoyed the Piazza with the live music and energy. This really is a beautiful space. I have to acknowledge that not having a central staircase was a bit confusing, but it certainly was not a reason not to enjoy this ship. I can understand guests’ frustration over the lack of balcony space….it would be very hard to enjoy a balcony breakfast or dinner in such a small space.

Regarding the Concierge features that come with a suite….it was disappointing. It truly is as one CCer remarked that a suite on Princess really only gives you more space. Compared to RCCL and land resorts that I have stayed at, I have to agree. But having said that, I found our room steward Andre to be much more exceptional than our butler for our Royal Suite on the Celebrity Equinox in 2011. And speaking of the Equinox, to compare the 2 ships with a similar itinerary…. I would probably give the nod to the Royal Princess. Although the Equinox suites are more luxurious and the gym is better equipped, I found the food, service and contemporary style of the Equinox to be below that of the Royal.

Another thing I should mention is that on our particular sailing there were a lot of children of all ages. Now there are a lot of ways to parent, but I was aghast at how some children were allowed to run wild on the ship and how some children demonstrated such a total lack of manners….I felt so sorry for the staff at times. The Captain even addressed the number of children and gently encouraged parents to take responsibility. A few nights later, there must have been an incident with some older kids, because the Captain felt it was important enough to address this issue, stating that the involved families would be banned from sailing Princess in the future.

Our choices for our Med cruise was narrowed down to Crystal (Maybe too old demographics for our kids), or Celebrity Reflection or the Royal Princess. I believe we made the right decision as we all agreed that we had a wonderful vacation. Happy and safe travels, everyone!

Pam

P.S. I will try to answer any questions..... :)

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts...we got off the Royal the day you got on. I like hearing about luxury travel, and certainly do not flame you, matter of fact I am pleased for others who are able to travel in suites. I agree about the food being great, the staff excellent and we also thought for our family trip the Royal Princess was the perfect blend of ship and itinerary.

However, I am Elite and although I do not crowd the entrance I think your comment referring to Elites as "gate lice" might be considered by many, myself included, in poor taste.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Will be interested to hear more...we got off the day you got on. I like hearing about luxury travel, and certainly do not flame you, matter of fact I am pleased for others who travel in suites.

However, I am Elite and although I do not crowd the entrance I think your comment referring to Elites as "gate lice" would be considered by many, myself included, in poor taste.

Once i saw that i quit reading. Obviously this was not ment to be read buy us poor gate lice.

Will be interested to hear more...we got off the day you got on. I like hearing about luxury travel, and certainly do not flame you, matter of fact I am pleased for others who travel in suites.

However, I am Elite and although I do not crowd the entrance I think your comment referring to Elites as "gate lice" would be considered by many, myself included, in poor taste.

Sunsetbeachgal, I am in no way referring to anyone that has early boarding privileges be it elite, suite, whatever, to be gate lice. The term comes from frequent air travellers who are not able to board because people swarm the podium. My experience in Venice was just that. To be clear, it is not a slant on any status of embarking passengers, but rather just a swarm of people that stop a progressive order of boarding a ship or a plane. No insult was intended, but maybe Princess will have read this and resolve the issue.

Ok, so now I am going to apologize....my post should have read Non- suite, NON-ELITE, NON-Priority. That was an error and I will take responsibility, Anyone that has Elite status is a head of me in line as I certainly have not contributed to Princess as much as these status cruisers. As I am re reading my thread, it see that it can across in a way that was NOT intended. As I mentioned before, I would like to see a more ordered progression to board rather than a mass of people that you cannot pass. I recognize the excitement of everyone wanting to get onboard, but line-ups go faster when they are organized. Again, my apologies for the unintended slight......

Welcome back! Glad you had a wonderful cruise!!!

Yours is the first mention in a review that I can remember of soot on the aft balcony decks. I know someone had asked before about this, and your comments (and solution to the issue) have provided some much needed insight. Hopefully it never got too bad?

Ok, so now I am going to apologize....my post should have read Non- suite, NON-ELITE, NON-Priority. That was an error and I will take responsibility, Anyone that has Elite status is a head of me in line as I certainly have not contributed to Princess as much as these status cruisers. As I am re reading my thread, it see that it can across in a way that was NOT intended. As I mentioned before, I would like to see a more ordered progression to board rather than a mass of people that you cannot pass. I recognize the excitement of everyone wanting to get onboard, but line-ups go faster when they are organized. Again, my apologies for the unintended slight......

Sorry, but as someone who is Non- suite, NON-ELITE, NON-Priority, I take offense at being classified as "lice".....

OK...Am I the only one that has heard the term "gate lice" at airports? I am not using it as a derogatory term....and if it was taken that way, I am truly sorry! This loose term is well-known at airports to denote the swarming that takes place which leads to non-productive boarding. TO BE CLEAR.....if Princess wants to put inside cabin passengers on first, announce it and then if I were crowding the entrance way, I would be gate lice! I have apologized for how this came across and obvious wrong choice of words. This is not my intention. I tried to post my thoughts to share with other interested cruisers regarding my experience on the Royal. I was hoping to help others with their cruise planning.....

Dr. Pam, thank you for your review. May I suggest that you use more than one paragraph. I was cross eyed after reading one large paragraph.

As a frequent flyer I understood your comment on gate crowding.

Edited by Mulege

Dr. Pam, thank you for your review. May I suggest that you use more than one paragraph. I was cross eyed after reading one large paragraph.

As a frequent flyer I understood your comment on gate crowding.

HI Mulege.....I wrote my review on word, with paragraphs and headings....unfortunately, when I copied and pasted, it "squished" my review.

Hey Dr. Pam

I was waiting for you report, thanks for taking the time. Glad to hear you had a good time..

Its a shame the CL didn't live up to the hype but having good coffee and snacks close by is a plus.

A few questions..

Was internet available in the CL ??

Were you forced to have the Suite/Free dinner on your embarkation night or did you have options ??

Soot on the balcony on a brand new ship not good.

I totally get your "gate lice" comment, no need to apologize.

Someone takes the time and effort to do a review and people get their knickers in a knot over "gate lice"..give me a break..

Thanks again..

Thank you Dr Pam for a great and thorough review. It was very helpful to have your cruise line comparisons in a constructive fashion. I am comparing cruise lines and suite comments for future cruise planning and yours were quite helpful. I also appreciate all your info re: private tours. Especially when it comes to suites this is helpful when trying to determine value versus the luxury lines.

Re: gate lice comment.... I had to chuckle.....even when you are at an airline gate that boards by rows, I can never understand the mob scene blocking the access for those who are supposed to board.

I've read about this soot issue on a lot of ships that have tiered aft balconies.

I would have thought a new ship would have the technology to prevent this...guess I was wrong.

Thanks, RichNY!

Methinks I will take a lot of heat over the term "gate lice"....when no offence was intended. I did word the elite status incorrectly... which I take responsibility for.. but I also truly believed everyone knew about the swarming of gates at the airport.

Now to answer your questions.

My DH purchased an internet package as soon as we boarded the ship, so he (I and kids) used it in our suite. He definitely over bought on the package (which was slow BTW) and near the end of the cruise he was letting the kids download stuff just to use up some minutes. :)

Re: the Suite/Free dinner for embarkation....we actually had 3! One from Platinum AMex, one from our TA and one from being in a suite. All of dinners came with a BOTTLE of "champagne" read sparkling wine. :) So a funny story with this one, we reserved at Sabatinis for the first evening and assumed that the card that had our dinner plus champagne was good for a glass of champagne each. DH and I decided to order the 7 bottle silver wine package that evening too. Our waiter came over and as we ordered our first bottle of wine, he looked at us strangely! As it turns out....there is a BOTTLE of "champagne" not a glass of champagne that is included with the dinner! He looked at my DH and I like "WOW, did not see them as the party type!!" ANyway we had a good laugh and they recorked the bottle of wine we had ordered and put it away for the next evening.

We used the dinners on the 1st, 6th and last night of the cruise. 2x Sabatinis, 1x Crown Grill.

They were very flexible. :)

AS far as the snacks at the CL, in a suite they will deliver fresh fruit, canapés, choc dipped strawberries, every day to your room.....I am quite sure they would deliver anything to our suite. THe service was great!

Edited by Dr. Pam

I would have thought a new ship would have the technology to prevent this...guess I was wrong.

I think if maybe her exhausts where much higher and angled back it would help, but ships still have to 'blow stacks' to clean the residue that builds up on the inside of the pipes. Not sure if a cleaner burning fuel would help?

I've read about this soot issue on a lot of ships that have tiered aft balconies.
We have a half covered aft balcony down on Dolphin deck. I will see if we have any soot issues there. The Sanctuary is aft on the Coral and Island. Never noticed soot but the attendants probably cleaned any up every day. On several days the smoke did drift down to the deck and was somewhat objectionable, but not very often. "Soot Happens" :D Edited by IECalCruiser

...Ok.. so back to the embarkation……It was announced that suite and elite guests could not begin the embarkation. Yeah….we did not even have to sit down…it was about 11:45 AM! However, there was abundant “gate lice”, that is, non-suite, elite people who were crowding the entrance, so that we could not get through. I think Princess should have a more established regimen for boarding….anyway, we finally made it through and walked back outside and down to board the gangplank on Deck 4. This was a bit of a disappointment to say the least. Stay tuned for more.

I take offense to that remark. I guess all Elites are now "gate lice"? Usually Elites go on before suites IME. Just a rather odd and inappropriate statement.

Hi Dave,

Actually, the soot was quite bad some days depending on how the wind was blowing .....like the bottom of our bare feet would have to be cleaned before we went on the carpet! We were scared to sit down on the chairs or loungers without putting a clean pool towel down. Our suite attendant did clean our balcony regularly, but it was hard to keep up some days. Having said all that, we certainly adjusted and loved the space and the wonderful family breakfasts and dinners we enjoyed on the deck. The soot would not stop me from reserving this suite again....:)