Suite Life on the Royal

Dr. Pam

People, give Dr. Pam a break and drop the "Gate Lice" comments. We have all seen the cluster around an airplane boarding gate. It can be quite a mess to navigate through.

She was referring to the non priority passengers blocking the way. Some ports handle the issue better than others. Copenhagen was one of the best with everyone assigned a row to sit in awaiting boarding. Similar seating arrangements in Seattle and Vancouver. FLL has a separate waiting area for Elite/Suite passengers and another for Platinum. It somewhat depends on the faculties at each port.

It is good to get comments from someone who cruises different lines and gives a fair comparison. Glad to see the favorable comments about the service and the food.

It does appear that Princess doesn't have a clue as to the services that should be provided in a Concierge Lounge.

Hi Dave,

Actually, the soot was quite bad some days depending on how the wind was blowing .....like the bottom of our bare feet would have to be cleaned before we went on the carpet! We were scared to sit down on the chairs or loungers without putting a clean pool towel down. Our suite attendant did clean our balcony regularly, but it was hard to keep up some days. Having said all that, we certainly adjusted and loved the space and the wonderful family breakfasts and dinners we enjoyed on the deck. The soot would not stop me from reserving this suite again....:)

Wow. It's wonderful that you overcame the problem and still had such a great time! Sorry it was something you had to deal with anyways.

And yes, I too understood 'the comment' and got a chuckle from it. Sometimes our words don't come out exactly right when written on paper and the meaning (or compariosn) we try to get across gets lost and offends others. However you can only apologize so many times and then you just have to move on. ;) Some people need to learn how to forgive and forget.

Thanks for your detailed review.

The term "gate lice" does have a derogatory meaning as nothing associated with lice is positive. Poor choice of words.

In Hindsight, Yes it was a poor choice of words because obviously not everyone has heard that fluff term being used at the airport. I have apologized. I hope that my review gives some insight into my extensive research for tour companies, hotels, etc. to those that are interested and not just fodder for a term that I used loosely and was misunderstood and a term that most travellers chuckle over. I am finished apologizing. It was a great trip.

Thanks, RichNY!

Methinks I will take a lot of heat over the term "gate lice"....when no offence was intended. I did word the elite status incorrectly... which I take responsibility for.. but I also truly believed everyone knew about the swarming of gates at the airport.

Now to answer your questions.

My DH purchased an internet package as soon as we boarded the ship, so he (I and kids) used it in our suite. He definitely over bought on the package (which was slow BTW) and near the end of the cruise he was letting the kids download stuff just to use up some minutes. :)

Re: the Suite/Free dinner for embarkation....we actually had 3! One from Platinum AMex, one from our TA and one from being in a suite. All of dinners came with a BOTTLE of "champagne" read sparkling wine. :) So a funny story with this one, we reserved at Sabatinis for the first evening and assumed that the card that had our dinner plus champagne was good for a glass of champagne each. DH and I decided to order the 7 bottle silver wine package that evening too. Our waiter came over and as we ordered our first bottle of wine, he looked at us strangely! As it turns out....there is a BOTTLE of "champagne" not a glass of champagne that is included with the dinner! He looked at my DH and I like "WOW, did not see them as the party type!!" ANyway we had a good laugh and they recorked the bottle of wine we had ordered and put it away for the next evening.

We used the dinners on the 1st, 6th and last night of the cruise. 2x Sabatinis, 1x Crown Grill.

They were very flexible. :)

AS far as the snacks at the CL, in a suite they will deliver fresh fruit, canapés, choc dipped strawberries, every day to your room.....I am quite sure they would deliver anything to our suite. THe service was great!

We are able to get free internet since we booked our cruise before the elimination date of that perk..good to know you can get service, even if it's slow, in our cabin. We have a S4, right across from the lounge. :D

Most of our suite experience has been with NCL having only been in an owners suite only once on the Pacific Princess..

Good service is a good thing. Thanks again..

I enjoyed your post, as I too enjoy luxury travel. Especially appreciated your tendency to post both the good and bad. That's why I read these forums.

As for the "gate lice" characterization, unfortunately, I had a mouthful of scotch on my first reading and almost choked. :D

My hope is that you will continue posting and consider that there was more than a wee bit of envy in many of the critic's postings.

people, give dr. Pam a break and drop the "gate lice" comments. We have all seen the cluster around an airplane boarding gate. It can be quite a mess to navigate through.

Amen

Edited by RichNY

I enjoyed your post, as I too enjoy luxury travel. Especially appreciated your tendency to post both the good and bad. That's why I read these forums.

As for the "gate lice" characterization, unfortunately, I had a mouthful of scotch on my first reading and almost choked. :D

My hope is that you will continue posting and consider that there was more than a wee bit of envy in many of the critic's postings.

Hope you didn't loose the scotch..:(

Thanks for the review... I totally get the "gate lice" comment... no need to apologize further 'specially to those who comment before reading the mea culpas... :rolleyes:

One question though... did you have breakfast in Sabatinis? Sounds like you had most of your breakfasts on your balcony.

People, give Dr. Pam a break and drop the "Gate Lice" comments. We have all seen the cluster around an airplane boarding gate. It can be quite a mess to navigate through.

She was referring to the non priority passengers blocking the way. Some ports handle the issue better than others. Copenhagen was one of the best with everyone assigned a row to sit in awaiting boarding. Similar seating arrangements in Seattle and Vancouver. FLL has a separate waiting area for Elite/Suite passengers and another for Platinum. It somewhat depends on the faculties at each port.

It is good to get comments from someone who cruises different lines and gives a fair comparison. Glad to see the favorable comments about the service and the food.

It does appear that Princess doesn't have a clue as to the services that should be provided in a Concierge Lounge.

She could have complained about the crowd with out the derogatory remark.

Thanks for the review... I totally get the "gate lice" comment... no need to apologize further 'specially to those who comment before reading the mea culpas... :rolleyes:

One question though... did you have breakfast in Sabatinis? Sounds like you had most of your breakfasts on your balcony.

I read the mea culpas and it just got worse.

Thank you for your review, Dr. Pam. I understood what you meant about the people crowding the boarding area, and you're right, you do see this all the time at airports.

We have stayed in aft suites on several ships that were tiered and have always had soot problems. I think it's unavoidable and also a nuisance.

I read the mea culpas and it just got worse.

And this just shows you can't please everyone. I made the second comment about gate lice. Personally i have not heard the term but that doesn't mean much. However i feel you have went above and BEYOND in trying to make it right and clarifying what you ment. If people still have a problem then A. Did not read past that before making their comment or B. They will never be satisfied and it us THEIR problem.

Thanks for the review and thank you for the apology and explanation.

Thanks for a very detailed and balanced review. I especially appreciated your thoughts on the service and food on the Royal since we're looking forward to our first Mediterranean/Transatlantic in October on her. The ports/guides information and recommendations were very helpful too.

Hi RickEK. :) As much as we would have loved to have had at least one breakfast in Sabatinis including the gratis mimosa (Yummo), we were up so early in the morning to get a head start on our day. It was so convenient to have Agnes deliver our requested breakfast on time to our suite which still allowed our stragglers (read: teenagers) to have their breakfast and get off the ship in time for their parents!! :) The mornings that were sea days, we slept in a little...ok a lot (still accounting for 8 hour time change) and the breakfast time offered at Sabatinis had past. :(

Meet & Mingle: Our M&M was scheduled for our first sea day in Club 6. Thank you to DragonQueen (lovely lady from the UK) for organizing this. There was a good turnout from a lot of the people who had signed up! Hi to all my new friends!! HOWEVER!!!!Where was PRINCESS??? No coffee or cookies….or for that matter anything!!! Not even an officer, a steward….oh wait, 2 nice ladies from the kids/teen club that just wanted to invite any interested participants. This was a huge disappointment and a black mark on Princess’s rap sheet. Can you spell “c-h-e-a-p” and “i-n-g-r-a-t-i-o-u-s?” Enough said!

Princess rarely has supplied refreshments for a M&G and when they do it has been because a CD used part of his budget to do so. (Although RCCL does to their M&M, the ones I attended found hardly anybody taking any food or beverage).

Were invites sent to the Princess staff inviting them to attend? There will usually be at least a couple of staff responding to the invites, but without the invites they will not even know the M&G is happening.

Edited by caribill

It was announced that suite and elite guests could not [sIC] begin the embarkation. Yeah….we did not even have to sit down…it was about 11:45 AM! However, there was abundant “gate lice”, that is, non-suite, elite people who were crowding the entrance, so that we could not get through. I think Princess should have a more established regimen for boarding….
Thank you for the review.

I think the above in red is what has caused the sensitivity. Elite passengers are allowed to board at the same time as full suite passengers and as you say, it was announced that they could board. It appears as though you're referring to Elite (who had the right to board) as doing the crowding. Just saying that how words are phrased can mean something different from what you intended.

Edited by Pam in CA

Sorry, but as someone who is Non- suite, NON-ELITE, NON-Priority, I take offense at being classified as "lice".....

Unless you were one of the people swarming the gate prior

to your turn, I don't think the pejorative applied to you.

Princess rarely has supplied refreshments for a M&G and when they do it has been because a CD used part of his budget to do so. (Althoigh RCCL does to their M&M, the ones I attended found hardly anybody taking any food or beverage).

Were invites sent to the Princess staff inviting them to attend? There will usually be at least a couple of staff responding to the invites, but without the invites they will not even know the M&G is happening.

I have been to Meet and Greet/mingle on 3 RCCL and 1 Celebrity. There was always some staff and some refreshments available. I guess I just assumed that Princess would do the same. I did not organize this event, but I think Dragonqueen did a wonderful job taking the initiative and I do believe that Princess was notified.....?

Ok, so now I am going to apologize....my post should have read Non- suite, NON-ELITE, NON-Priority. That was an error and I will take responsibility, Anyone that has Elite status is a head of me in line as I certainly have not contributed to Princess as much as these status cruisers. As I am re reading my thread, it see that it can across in a way that was NOT intended. As I mentioned before, I would like to see a more ordered progression to board rather than a mass of people that you cannot pass. I recognize the excitement of everyone wanting to get onboard, but line-ups go faster when they are organized. Again, my apologies for the unintended slight......

I think the above in red is what has caused the sensitivity. Elite passengers are allowed to board at the same time as full suite passengers and as you say, it was announced that they could board. It appears as though you're referring to Elite (who had the right to board) as doing the crowding. Just saying that how words are phrased can mean something different from what you intended.

Today 06:32 PM

I had previously posted my error. I am sure there are more typos is a review that was written quickly but probably none more serious than leaving Out the NON before Elite. I really was not trying to offend anyone....

Edited by Dr. Pam

Dr. Pam,

Thank you for your review. Could you please tell me if your children participated in the remix program? We are taking my 13 year old daughter on the Royal in February and I have seen only limited information regarding the program.

BTW, Gate Lice, if not already mentioned, is a term from airports and refers to those people who crowd around the gate long before being eligible to board and thus make it hard for people to get through who should be board (and by extension slow down the whole process). It's a lot more of an issue on planes, where overhead space is at a premium and they have a very short time to board. There are also baggage lice apparently...

I HATE the term btw.

Dr. Pam,

Thank you for your review. Could you please tell me if your children participated in the remix program? We are taking my 13 year old daughter on the Royal in February and I have seen only limited information regarding the program.

My DD age 15 joined the teen club a couple of days into the cruise. She was a little nervous about going but decided to give it a try after I checked it out. She absolutely loved it because there were so many teens from all over. They had organized table tennis, cards, etc. The kids did not run all over the ship. She made some great new friends onboard and they all had their picture taken together on the 2nd last night so they could purchase it on our final day. IT was a great experience! Our DS who had just turned 18 years was not able to attend the teen club and preferred to hang out with his mom and dad. :) Just fine with us as he leaves for university in a couple of weeks.....

Edited by Dr. Pam