Am I the only one who'd love to cruise without formal night?

josassoc

You can try to demean it with all the "tell mommy" you want, the bottom line is it would be you breaking the rules, it is you who should be ashamed not the one pointing it out. If you don't like the rules, cruise elsewhere.

You have the nerve to complain about being demeaned about saying outrageous things about people who do not conform to what you want? Hmmmm....tell me, do you point them out all the rule breakers everywhere?

Says who ? I dont know what cruise's are like that you are on but the ones I am on 95% of the people ARE dressed appropriately even on Formal night. I simply refuse to allow that 5% to grow to any significant number.

If you want to see the cruises I have been on look at my sig. They are there but I'll save you the trouble, I've been on DCL and Carnival both of which have their share of people who dress down on formal night.

But let me ask this, why should there be any number other than 100%? If Princess stood by this policy you are talking about, the number would be 100% right?

Absolutely .. its one thing if a person does not know about a rule and breaks it unknowingly. However for someone like yourself who does know, and consciously flaunts your non conformity, yes I enjoy watching people get put in their place and realize they are not above society and must conform to the same expectations as the other 3,000 people onboard. You are not special.

You know what they say about ASSume don't you? You ASSume that people are selfish, childish and immoral because they are not dressed up. Now you ASSume that people do not dress up for formal night simply because they endorse the right not to. That word seems to fit really well.

I will concur about manner of serving .. but the buffet does have the same food, I have never experienced it to not have the same food. And again you know about this ahead of time you are making the choice by booking the cruise to dress appropriately if you wish to eat in the dining room, it is not everyone else's fault that you want to dress down and eat in the dining room that is clearly not an option offered by Princess so cruise elsewhere.

I believe that the lobster is NOT available on the buffet, at least that seems to be the case from what I have read.

As for dressing down, that is incorrect. As you stated 5% of the people in the dining rooms are opting for dressing down on formal night, that means it IS clearly an option.

How is it a problem? Been on Princess many times and dressing up on formal night does not seem to be a problem for Princess passengers. If they don't dress up they are not in the main dining room, they are at the Horizon. I don't recall ever seeing anyone in the main dining room on Princess and Celebrity not dressed up. I have seen some on the other crusie lines I have been on. I have cruised on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess, Carnival and NCL. I have noticed differences in the way people dress. On Celebrity and Princess people tend to dress up more. Formal evening are pretty similiar on all the cruise lines but even on casual evenings on Celebrity and Princess there will be more men wearing a sports jacket or a dress short and a tie. (just an observation from me who wears a polo shirt and dockrs type on casual evenings and have felt underdressed at times!) , women will be wearing dressier clothes.

To me it is not a problem. Just hunt down any formal night thread in any forum though and you will see that it is a horrible situation for everyone.

To me it is not a problem. Just hunt down any formal night thread in any forum though and you will see that it is a horrible situation for everyone.

It is not a horrible situation. There are a few people who whine about it on every forum. The horrible situation is in their mind. When you get on the ships, and I have been on a lot of them, it is not a horrible situation. Most people comply with the dress request on formal night and people are standing in line to get formal pictures taken.

All this discussion is irrelevant if Princess is not enforcing the dress "code."

On our Princess cruise, they did not enforce the "rule."

I think formal night is going the way of white gloves and hats for women. (Remember when no "lady" would leave the house without her hat and gloves?)

In the cruise world, too - the times - they are a changing. (Correct me if you wish - I can't remember the exact quote.)

Oh, Boy! I get to be 500!

"But, it is my vacation...and I'd love to be able to relax and forego the dress and heels for a week."

My dear, whatever you wear won't upset my serenity. I hope my tuxedo doesn't upset yours. :D

Archived