Quick question- plugs and adaptors

slapsyru

Hi everyone.

I apologise, this has probably been covered a million times. I just wanted to ask the experts and make sure.

We haven't travelled to Australia before and have no idea what plus sockets are used. We have UK to US adapters. I've tried to find UK to Australia and the same ones show up.

Am I right in thinking the same flat 2 pin plugs will work in Australia and in the US?

Thanks,

Gemma

No, Australian plugs have two flat "pins" at opposing 45 degree angles to the vertical, i.e., 90 degree angle to one another. (The same arrangement is used in a few other countries.) Australia's electrical system is 220 V, so any electrical device designed only for North America's 110 V system is incompatible with Australian electricity. Of course, dual-voltage electronic devices work fine on either as long as you have the Australian "angled" plug adaptor.

John

Yes. Perfect. Thanks for the photo. That is the same one I have. It works for the US as the pins swivel to flat too. I was getting confused looking at them on different sites because some seemed to say they would work and some not. It must've a UK to multi country plug and I didn't know. At least the same one will work for our time in Sydney and on the ship.

So if I understand and I am from the USA, if I want to charge my iPhone or iPad, I will need something other than an adapter kit. I will need sometype of converter 220>>110 also?:eek:

No, my experience is modern electronics are such that they can work with varying voltage inputs. An adaptor plug that enables you to plug your device into the available socket will work fine.

Australia is 240 volts AC with standard 3 pin plugs. The plug pictured in this thread is not earthed.

Just call into the first TA you see in Australia and go to the Korjo accessories stand, and you will find Australian to various other country adapters.

With chargers for mobile phones, laptops etc check the fine print on the charger and most will accept an input AC voltage of both 110 and 240 volts .

Before you leave you home country check local TA for Australian adapters .

Australia is 240 volts AC with standard 3 pin plugs. The plug pictured in this thread is not earthed.

Just call into the first TA you see in Australia and go to the Korjo accessories stand, and you will find Australian to various other country adapters.

With chargers for mobile phones, laptops etc check the fine print on the charger and most will accept an input AC voltage of both 110 and 240 volts .

Before you leave you home country check local TA for Australian adapters .

American interpretation: the plug in the picture is not grounded. A grounded plug will have 3 slanted prongs.

American interpretation: the plug in the picture is not grounded. A grounded plug will have 3 slanted prongs.

There is no such thing as a plug with 3 slanted prongs in Australia or NZ, nor is there a socket that would accommodate such a plug.

See this page for photos:

http://www.google.co.nz/imgres?sa=X&biw=1067&bih=513&tbm=isch&tbnid=_ZDgXy3ITDV9MM:&imgrefurl=http://blog.gowalkabouttravel.com/2012/07/plan-a-trip-to-au

There is no such thing as a plug with 3 slanted prongs in Australia or NZ, nor is there a socket that would accommodate such a plug.

See this page for photos:

http://www.google.co.nz/imgres?sa=X&biw=1067&bih=513&tbm=isch&tbnid=_ZDgXy3ITDV9MM:&imgrefurl=http://blog.gowalkabouttravel.com/2012/07/plan-a-trip-to-au

Sorry, I did mean 2 slanted, one straight!

Archived