Best Lobster in Puerto Vallarta??

silverwings7272

We think there is no such thing as "best lobster' in PV. For those who have been to New England or Canada or had their Atlantic/Maine/Canadian lobster in some restaurants that fly it in fresh.... you know what great lobster can be. But in PV the few places that serve lobster have what some folks call warm water spiny lobster (kind of like a lobster tail) which just does not compare to Atlantic lobster, In PV the best seafood is usually Red Snapper and/or Mahi Mahi (also called by other names such as Dorado). These are often truly fresh and quite wonderful.

There is also a lot of excellent shrimp sold and served in PV although the source is some distance from PV (often San Blas).

If you happen to be staying in PV for dinner, you can get pretty decent spiny lobster in a few restaurants located in the Romantic Zone/Old Town/South Side area. 2 places that quickly come to mind are the very popular (with often long lines) Café de Olla and our own personal favorite seafood place.....Mariscos Polo.

Hank

Thank you so much for your response. What you explained about the lobster makes complete sense. Mahi mahi is wonderful, so i may have to try it while im there. Do you have a favorite restaurant in PV? Doesn't have to be seafood, we are pretty much open to anything. I feel like I missed out on enjoying the atmosphere the last time I was there. Dont want to make the same mistake twice!

Thank you so much for your response. What you explained about the lobster makes complete sense. Mahi mahi is wonderful, so i may have to try it while im there. Do you have a favorite restaurant in PV? Doesn't have to be seafood, we are pretty much open to anything. I feel like I missed out on enjoying the atmosphere the last time I was there. Dont want to make the same mistake twice!

:) We have many favorite restaurants (eat in over 40 different ones every year) so please post some info on what you prefer. We know some expensive places with amazing atmosphere and good food (at US prices). We also know more local places that are inexpensive and have good food...but are not always pretty places. Also, when (day of week and time of year) will you be in PV as some places are closed 1 night a week and many places are closed for weeks during the off-season. There are a couple of other posters here on CC that will keep me honest since they also spend several months a year in PV.

Hank

:) We have many favorite restaurants (eat in over 40 different ones every year) so please post some info on what you prefer. We know some expensive places with amazing atmosphere and good food (at US prices). We also know more local places that are inexpensive and have good food...but are not always pretty places. Also, when (day of week and time of year) will you be in PV as some places are closed 1 night a week and many places are closed for weeks during the off-season. There are a couple of other posters here on CC that will keep me honest since they also spend several months a year in PV.

Hank

We're on the same cruise and will be overnighting in PV. We like to eat in places where locals eat or where there are few tourists. What are some good local places for dinner? And are there any areas where it isn't safe to walk around at night?

Ok, so we will give away some of our PV secrets (and perhaps get a different point of view from other PV residents). The "locals" assuming you mean Mexicans do not really dine out very often so that is not an issue here. Those expats that live in and around PV (and there are more then 50,000 Americans and Canadians in this category) all have their favorite places. Given that there are more then 1000 eating venues in the region there are plenty of places to go around. But any place I mention will generally be filled by Americans and Canadians. If you want to eat like the Mexicans just go to the South Side (Romantic Zone) and eat from the street vendors (you sit along the street).

But, if you want good food in a more traditional setting (i.e. restaurant) here are a few ideas. In PV the best food is generally going to be seafood. Mexican beef is not as tender as US beef, so the more expensive restaurants will often use meat imported from the US or Canada.

Our favorite restaurant for basic seafood is called Mariscos Polo. It is located in the south side of town on Madara Street...about 1/2 block East of Insurgentes Street. Dinner for 2 (with great margaritas) can cost no more then $30 although you could probably spend $50 if you bought the most expensive stuff on the menu. Polo's can be crowded during the high season so its not a bad idea to call them for a reservation or just stop by earlier in the day (hopefully somebody is at the place) and make a reservation. Another restaurant we like in the same part of the city (but a bit further from everything) is called El Brujo. They also have very good seafood and a more expansive menu then Polos.

Now, if you prefer to eat very cheap and have great tacos, there is a tiny restaurant located right in the heart of the south side on Basillo Badillo street called Pancho Tacos. This place only has a few tables and looks like a dump...but they do make great tacos (their al pastor is one of my favorites). Dinner for 2 (with beer) might cost you about $20.

So there are some basic ideas. If anyone prefers a more elegant expensive restaurant I can also post some ideas.

Hank

Our favorite restaurant for basic seafood is called Mariscos Polo. It is located in the south side of town on Madara Street...about 1/2 block East of Insurgentes Street. Another restaurant we like in the same part of the city (but a bit further from everything) is called El Brujo. They also have very good seafood and a more expansive menu then Polos.

Now, if you prefer to eat very cheap and have great tacos, there is a tiny restaurant located right in the heart of the south side on Basillo Badillo street called Pancho Tacos. This place only has a few tables and looks like a dump...but they do make great tacos (their al pastor is one of my favorites). Dinner for 2 (with beer) might cost you about $20.

So there are some basic ideas. If anyone prefers a more elegant expensive restaurant I can also post some ideas.

How is the place next to Panchos, Cafe de Olla?

Hank

Thanks for the restaurant ideas. I love tacos al pastor. I have found that some of the places which look like dumps actually have great food.

Thank you so much, Hank! We will be in PV on a Wednesday, 12/4. We were hoping for a restaurant by the ocean, or a nice view. Price is open, though we are open to splurge. I was reading about the river cafe and hacienda san angel. Thoughts?

The River Café is along the River but not within view of the sea. Hacienda San Angel is one of our favorite restaurants for special occasions. It offers a great view of Puerto Vallarta and the sea (in the distance). They usually have an excellent Mariachi band (about 10 pieces) that plays 2 sets during dinner (starting about 7:30) and this group is truly world-class. During the high season the band is usually at the restaurant M-F but not sure if they start that early in December. Dinner at this restaurant is quite expensive by Puerto Vallarta standards and a couple can easily spend $120 - $150 depending on wine and drinks. For this restaurant it is strongly recommended to make a reservation a few days in advance.

I should mention that Hacienda San Angel is located in an expensive small hotel and the building used to belong to one of Richard Burton's wives. The place looks like nothing from the outside, but is truly spectacular inside. You will need a taxi to take you since its a steep climb to get to the place. Not all the taxi drivers know the place so make sure you write down the street name and ask the driver if he knows where to go..before you get in the taxi.

Hank

May I suggest another ( a little simple but nice) restaurant right on the beach. You can sit at a table on the sand or ""inside"" with sea and beachview with great view and beautiful sunset.

Check El Baracuda, next to Hotel Buenaventure, not in old town but at the end of hotelzone. Special is ""Molcajete""", either with seafood, shrimps, beef or acombination of this. Served sizzlinghot in a pot with tortillas, rice, avocado etc. Not always on the menu, but if you ask for it, they will serve it.

It is an easy walk south to the Malecon from here.

In old town La Palapa, situated on Playa los Muertos, has some nice dishes, but is more expensive.

On a hill with awesome view over Puerto Vallarta, nice selection of food, live music at night is the restaurant in side Hotel Casa Isabelle. Take a cab to get there, it is a steep walk up.

Not that far from the cruise terminal, away from the beach, in a section of town called Fluvial, is restaurant Adelitas. Many locals there, good choice in food.

I agree with Hank and the other poster about their choices. We spend three months every winter in PV and enjoy the selection of choices for eating out. Our favourite for special occasions is Hacienda San Angel but as Hank states, it is expensive. We love the mariachi band that plays there so try to go when they are there. It is a wonderful spot.

We also love Marisco Polo for fish and seafood. It is a very popular place so try to reserve. The views from Casa Isabel are very nice as well and the food is good. You definitely need to go by taxi - it is up in the hills. Adelitas is great - extensive menu and great prices and ambience. No water views but very close to the port - it is just up the street from Costco. So many great places to eat - we find it so boring to come back to Canada - we miss the vast selection of restaurants in PV.

Wendy

I've seen a few pictures with marlin on a stick. Any idea where to get them? Are they as good as they look?

Paradise 2008

Miracle 2013

We spend a lot of time lounging on Los Muertos Beach (in the south side) and there are vendors that come around with various fish pieces on a stick including shrimp and more rarely marlin. But the best marlin I have ever had (anywhere) was in a small Burrito/Tacos café that is across the street from the airport. This place had a smoked marlin burrito that was totally amazing. The place is called Tacon de Marlin!

Hank

Archived