Copenhagen Disembarkation

rearadmiral

We are going on Baltic cruise next summer sailing r/t from Copenhagen. We have a 2PM flight the day of disembarkation. I normally prefer to self carry off (primarily to avoid having to put my bags out the night before and then having to find them amongst 3000 pax's bags the next morning) but I feel that we would be up and off far too early.

I would appreciate if someone could post the appropriate page from the Patter from a recent sailing that shows all of the disembarkation groups and times.

If anyone has any experience with a Princess airport transfer or a tour that ended at the airport please let me know.

I know the Train/Metro is an inexpensive and efficient option in Copenhagen but we will have too much luggage for it to be a practical option for us.

I do not have the info sheet, but can tell you from past experiences. The airport is an hours drive from the cruise ship depending on day of week and traffic. As for checking in at the airport is usually three hours before flight. Depending where you are flying too, there may be a second security check, which will occur about an hour out from your flight. I believe that all tours were for flights departing after 4:00pm but could be wrong on that.

We used Exclusive Van and Limousines. They picked us up from the ship in June of this year and they were great. It was a very easy disembarkation and they picked us up at the exit for passengers with independent transport.

We had set up their services prior to the cruise and then emailed our disembarkation time from the ship once it was provided to us.

Copenhagen transfers are expensive but cheaper than Princess ones. We paid 600 Danish Kroners ($117.00 CAD) for a private van for six of us, including luggage - from the ship to the airport.

Like you we could have used public transportation but we had my sister who is 70 with us and it would have been hard for her to get to the first stop. When split between the six of us it was a very reasonable $20.00 each. The driver gave us commentary while he drove and I am sure with prior arrangements you could set up a bit of a tour on the way.

Enjoy the Baltics - it is port intensive and tiring but very, very interesting.

IMHO, public transit is not an option to and from the pier unless you like lugging you bags a mile or more on rough surfaces. We took a cab from a hotel by the airport to the pier for about $85. Construction near the pier has made access a disaster. The cost was so high because of the 30-45 minutes waiting in stop and go traffic near the pier. We saw very tired people lugging their bag as we were stuck in traffic :(. We used Princess transfers to the airport at $24/person for our return. If you are flying SAS you will need to walk to the next terminal from the drop-off point.

We used a Princess transfer from the ship which was just fine,however, on arrival at the airport, we were told by extremely rude checkin agents that under no circumstances could we try to check in with our baggage more than 2 hours before our flight departed-and we were flying Business Class!British Air was the airline partner for American and this is not the first time I have had really horrible customer service issues with BA. Won't use them again ever. So Princess actually had us there way too early( 4hours before our flight!) and as more and more people arrived, we could barely have any space to stand and they were even rude to my then 83 year old mother. I had additional issues with trying not have them X-ray sensitive medical devices at the security checkpoint and even trying to politely escalate it to a supervisor for assistance got me nowhere. I later got a formal apology from the security department at the Copenhagen airport but to this day the entire experience at that airport still leaves a really bad taste in my mouth,so much so that I will never fly from that airport ever again.

I would try to time my arrival at the airport to no more than a 2 hour before your flight leaves and hopefully you won't be treated as badly as we were.

IMHO, public transit is not an option to and from the pier unless you like lugging you bags a mile or more on rough surfaces. We took a cab from a hotel by the airport to the pier for about $85. Construction near the pier has made access a disaster. The cost was so high because of the 30-45 minutes waiting in stop and go traffic near the pier. We saw very tired people lugging their bag as we were stuck in traffic :(. We used Princess transfers to the airport at $24/person for our return. If you are flying SAS you will need to walk to the next terminal from the drop-off point.

The Royal Princess will be at the new Copenhagen Port next year, it's a bit farther out from the port Princess currently uses and "Danish Viking" on the ports blog said that possibly arrangements will be made for Bus 26 to go out to the new port:

"Try to search for the address Oceanvej 10-12 2100 Copenhagen East, (Pier C330).

The cruise terminal will be located just north of that location so I would say that Nordhavn Station is a good 30 minutes walk away.

Taxi's will surely be available but its not decided if a regular bus (like 26) or a shuttle bus will transport the guest to and from the terminal."

Thanks for all of the advice especially IECalCruiser for the disembark schedule. With a single walk off group at 5:15(yikes!) that has confirmed my suspicion that will be far too early and we will have to break from tradition and not do self walk off with our bags.

People from the USA sometimes don't understand that airlines share gates in other parts of the world and often don't even open until two hours before the flight. You really can get there too early. Done that quite a few times and it is painful.

People from the USA sometimes don't understand that airlines share gates in other parts of the world and often don't even open until two hours before the flight. You really can get there too early. Done that quite a few times and it is painful.
SAS doesn't share gates in CPH but we still couldn't go to the final boarding area until about 90 minutes before the flight. When you arrive at CPH, first you stand in a self service line to scan your passport and check in. Then you stand in line to check your bags and then you go upstairs and stand in line to go through security. After security you can shop in the many stores in the terminal. After that your next step is to stand in line to go through immigration. There are still a few shops past immigration. When you get close to the departure gates you need to wait in a seating area until about 90 minutes before your flight. You stand in one more line to hand in a form they give you and then you get to your boarding gate. In that area there are only a couple of vending machines. Used our last 20 Krone to get a bottle of water while we waited for boarding to start. When boarding started, they called all coach rows at the same time. What a mess.

Archived