Food (Paleo/SCD/Green Smoothie) on Conquest

Hello! :)

Have any of you cruised on a SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet) or Paleo diet? Do any of you know if Carnival will prepare "green smoothies" for passengers?

I called Carnival and they told me to speak to the head waiter on the first night of the cruise. I'm still a bit worried.

I appreciate any input, thank you!

What is in a green smoothie?

A green smoothie is a blended salad. I eat/drink two or three of these a day. I use spinach, romaine, or kale, celery, and one or two fruits. I have Crohn's Disease and I drink these blended salads for good nutrition, easy digestion and to give my gut a break. ;)

I assume the bars have blenders...but will they let me bring a big plate or bowl of items from the salad bar and then blend it for me?

No idea what that is, but I wouldn't wait until the first night to ask. They can't do much in the way of custom orders on the fly; usually you need to request a day in advance.

You might try to contact the Food and Beverage Manager ASAP once on the ship to see what might be possible. Also maybe see one of the maitre d's (one will be available for dining table requests).

I don't do green smoothies but I do eat a Paleo diet (due to sensitivities to gluten and dairy and other things). I wouldn't imagine they'd make you a green smoothie but it doesn't hurt to ask. They will prepare special meals for you in the dining room. You've got to order them the night before at dinner in the dining room. The Lido deck was a little trickier but not bad. Plenty of meat and veggie options for lunch. Breakfast was difficult for me because I can't do eggs. I basically ate bacon and fruit. Room service was accommodating when I ordered sandwiches without bread.

I don't do green smoothies but I do eat a Paleo diet (due to sensitivities to gluten and dairy and other things). I wouldn't imagine they'd make you a green smoothie but it doesn't hurt to ask. They will prepare special meals for you in the dining room. You've got to order them the night before at dinner in the dining room. The Lido deck was a little trickier but not bad. Plenty of meat and veggie options for lunch. Breakfast was difficult for me because I can't do eggs. I basically ate bacon and fruit. Room service was accommodating when I ordered sandwiches without bread.

Another Paleo person! :)

I feel like I'm going to need to be in the dining room for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. ;) I don't want anything with oil, butter, seasonings, etc. Basically baked plain chicken or fish with steamed, plain vegetables. But again, I usually drink at least two meals per day (green smoothies) because I don't do well with raw vegetables/greens.

I don't know. But I don't think a handheld blender will blend spinach, celery, or romaine very well. I use a Vitamix at home.

I love my vitamin, but I know they won't let you bring it aboard:( Good luck! I am a green smoothie liver, but out of preference, not necessity, so I skip them cruising. I would definitely call ahead!

I feel like I'm going to need to be in the dining room for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. ;) I don't want anything with oil, butter, seasonings, etc. Basically baked plain chicken or fish with steamed, plain vegetables. But again, I usually drink at least two meals per day (green smoothies) because I don't do well with raw vegetables/greens.

The only problem is they only serve lunch in the dining room during sea days, not when the ship is in port. I have been fine eating the carved meat on the Lido deck (they use oil--most definitely not a Paleo oil but I make compromises when traveling--and do not use butter). I also am fine eating the hamburgers without the bun, obviously. You can even go to the deli counter and order a sandwich without bread. If you can handle white rice, they serve that at the Wok area. Heck, they even make GF pizza at Pizza Pirate if you order it in advance (the wheat flour flies everywhere, though...I wouldn't recommend it). I do well with raw veggies so the salad bar is my friend. It might be wise to bring along some portable foods your gut can handle easily--they will come in handy during excursions.

Since you've got a medical condition making digestion difficult, you require a special diet. I imagine there have been others who need to eat a more liquified diet. It sounds like you might be better off calling around before you go on your cruise to ensure they can meet your medical/dietary needs. By the way, I have IBS and have allergies/sensitivities to gluten, dairy, eggs, nuts, peanuts and some shellfish and Carnival has mostly been very accommodating. They did dairy me a few times in the dining room so be very very careful if you are very very sensitive.

I don't stick to Paleo religiously but I do feel like when I eat a lot of breads/pastas/potatos/corns/wheat/white foods anymore, I feel bloated, fat, sick, and/or just "off" in general.

I am going on the Liberty this Friday and I do not plan to stick to the diet (like I said, for me, it's not that I am literally sick if I eat it, but it's an overall lifestyle approach, I just don't want that stuff to be part of my every day meals).

But I do assume I will try to pick entrees that don't have rice or potatos, or I'll ask for extra vegetables instead, and then just not eat the white/wheat stuff. For my level of commitment to it, I don't anticipate it being a problem.

FWIW... isn't butter extremely pro-Paleo? That's one thing I feel like I see everywhere in Paleo recipes.

Edited by mas0764

I would contact the special needs department.

I know they handle all special requests - and since yours is health related I would start there!

I've heard/seen people bring those little ninja blenders onboard. You could try that and just make the shakes in you cabin using fruits and veggies from the salad bar.

I also dabble in Paleo but have decided to loosen the rules for my vacation in 2 weeks. I will try to stay away from the pastas but I know I will want to try a little. :p

A green smoothie is a blended salad. I eat/drink two or three of these a day. I use spinach, romaine, or kale, celery, and one or two fruits. I have Crohn's Disease and I drink these blended salads for good nutrition, easy digestion and to give my gut a break. ;)

I assume the bars have blenders...but will they let me bring a big plate or bowl of items from the salad bar and then blend it for me?

I'm confused about these smoothies, basically a blended salad. I thought these raw foods were to be avoided. If I eat salad, it makes me "go", so how are salads a benefit to Crohns?

But I do assume I will try to pick entrees that don't have rice or potatos, or I'll ask for extra vegetables instead, and then just not eat the white/wheat stuff. For my level of commitment to it, I don't anticipate it being a problem.

I am not paleo but I tend to eat mostly veggies/protein. Whenever I asked for the side of steamed veggies at dinner they served me peas, carrots, and steamed potatoes. LOL. Sometimes one or two broccolis thrown in.

Contact the special needs department long befor eyour cruise if possible. Someone on these boards may have the phone number. They will assist you in getting your dietary needs handled. As i understand it there's no single "best" diet for Crohn's as each person with the disease may have different needs/conditions. But do check with your doctor about what other foods you might be able to ingest successfully.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm here! I had no idea that any of these replies had been posted. Thank you for all the feedback! :)

I wanted to find this thread to post an update. (and I also posted about a question regarding car rental, you can see that post here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1923258 if you can help with that :) )

I called and emailed Carnival. They flagged my account as "food allergies" and advised me to speak with staff on board on the first day of the cruise.

Regarding the special needs department, do any of you have that number?

Here are my replies to some of the other comments:

I don't want to bring any type of blender on board with me.

I wonder what I will eat for lunch when ship is at port and there is no lunch in the dining room. I'll try to find the plainest protein and plain veggies. I wonder if they will steam veggies for me with nothing on them? I don't remember seeing plain steamed veggies on other cruises (not on the buffet line).

I don't eat pork, soy, beans, grains, dairy, rice, potatoes, nightshades...Yes, I know my diet is limited and that is why I have a bit of anxiety about the food on the cruise.

Regarding butter and Paleo. Some people do okay with butter/ghee but I avoid dairy. I work for The Paleo Mom and she has an article about dairy: http://www.thepaleomom.com/2013/09/why-dont-i-need-to-worry-about-calcium-2.html (she has lots of other great articles, recipes, etc. :))

I first read about Green smoothies, or "blended salads" on Dr. Fuhrman's (http://www.drfuhrman.com/) site (he is the author of Eat To Live and other books). He recommends these drinks for people with IBS/IBD/Colitis because they are easier to digest than eating a big salad. When the food is blended into a drink, your body does not have to work as hard to digest the food.

I have never seen a bottled green smoothie that does have fruit juice concentrate or other questionable ingredients added. However, there are a few brands of green juice that are excellent, but they are expensive and need to kept cold.

Great to know there are other Paleo-ish cruisers on the board. I'm really excited about our cruise, and I know the food will be okay. I plan on typing up a document will all my needs and bringing several copies with me to give to the dining room staff. :)