Little Things You Wished You Brought

jan can

Are there clothes lines in our showers on the new Viking boats. I've seen suggestions to purchase these for travel but can't find them where I live and it's too late to order them from the US./QUOTE]

Yes, on all the VRC I have been on there has been a clothes line in the shower.

cant go wrong with a roll of duct tape and a very small flashlight

From one of our large rolls, we wrap the duct tape around a pencil or pen (the length of tape we think we will need). Then it is quite "compact" and fits anywhere. It has been useful on at least two or three ocassions.....one time to tape a friends luggage together after the zipper broke. The bag made it home via the airlines just fine!!! It is a permanent item in our "travel pack".

The Flashlight is a MUST too...

What is the name of your language translation app? I cannot find dict.cc.

Mine is called "iTranslate" (I have an iPhone). It's free and if you want it to speak for you and speak the translation, it's $1.99 for 3 months and does not automatically renew. I like that non-automatic renewal so I don't have to remember to cancel it.

It was worth the $1.99 because the languages I need are very difficult to pronounce (Hungarian, Romanian, etc.)

Felicia

I also bring scotch tape (good for really making sure that tops of bottles, etc., don't open up). Last trip, I wish that I had brought extra zip-top baggies for keeping bits and pieces of things together or storing open packages of cookies and other junk foods that we always seem to pick up along the way.

Are there clothes lines in our showers on the new Viking boats. I've seen suggestions to purchase these for travel but can't find them where I live and it's too late to order them from the US./QUOTE]

Yes, on all the VRC I have been on there has been a clothes line in the shower.

Thanks. When I went to the only outdoors store in our town, they no longer carry them. With carry-on only, I need a line.

A flashlight, even if tiny, is essential on any trip. Power outages can happen anywhere/anytime.

A flashlight, even if tiny, is essential on any trip. Power outages can happen anywhere/anytime.

Absolutely! I always have a small flashlight in my purse, and a larger one in my carry-on bag. My husband got caught/stuck in a hotel during an earthquake in CA and all power lost - without the flashlight in his pocket....They come in quite handy!

(I typically carry a headlamp as my "second" light because I use a kindle and will use my headlamp to read at night - I've had many friends laugh at my headlamp, but good reading light is surprisingly rare:rolleyes: )

We also carry small flashlights everywhere we travel. But, I also have a flashlight app on my IPhone. It can really come in handy. I've used it many times to read a menu in dimly lit restaurants.

I wished I had taken my smart phone. I mistakenly thought that email and info on my tablet would be sufficient. I was wrong. The wifi was iffy at best.

Flashlight for walking back to riverboat or hotel in the dark. I have a small, bright LED one clipped to my purse. Also, to find the bathroom at night without disturbing spouse.

Clear packing tape for numerous solutions. DH made a rain hood with a plastic bag for his camera during the European Flood of 2013.

Eagle Creek 15-inch Pack-it Folder http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packing-solutions.html I was a skeptic...it is expensive. But, I cannot believe how much you can fold and fit into this carrier.

For those experienced folks, are there little items that you wished you brought along? Any tips.

This might be especially handy for those spending a few days extra at one or both ends of the trip.

For an example, I was told that face clothes aren't common in Europe.

The folding umbrellas is a good idea,,,but pack them in separate suit cases... we had 2 of them next to each other in a carry on,,, we were abruptly pulled to the side and asked to open our bag at the airport,,,seems the xray thought they were explosives...even the inspector smiled and said " looks like you have those exploding umbrellas,,,,sorry but we have to check these things out." we smiled and said "Of course you do",,,we carry them in separate carry ons from now on.

Eagle Creek 15-inch Pack-it Folder http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packing-solutions.html I was a skeptic...it is expensive. But, I cannot believe how much you can fold and fit into this carrier.

I love the Eagle Creek packing solutions as well. I have 3 Pack-it folders (for shirts/blouses and pants) and 2 of the cubes for underwear. So nice to just take out of the suitcase and put into a drawer in the ship. As for the expense, you can find them for much less thru Sierra Trading Post. It may not be the color you want, but I don't much care about that for the price savings. ;)

Thanks. When I went to the only outdoors store in our town, they no longer carry them. With carry-on only, I need a line.

Ah, I wondered why the flashlight. I just use the light from my cell phone.

Felicia

The folding umbrellas is a good idea,,,but pack them in separate suit cases... we had 2 of them next to each other in a carry on,,, we were abruptly pulled to the side and asked to open our bag at the airport,,,seems the xray thought they were explosives...even the inspector smiled and said " looks like you have those exploding umbrellas,,,,sorry but we have to check these things out." we smiled and said "Of course you do",,,we carry them in separate carry ons from now on.

I've never heard of exploding umbrellas. I hate to sound like a little old lady, but what IS this world coming to???

Those poor security people.

Felicia

Why the flashlight?

Felicia

To find your way around the river vessel or ocean cruise ship when the vessel has no power for lights. Also in an onboard fire it will assist you to see where you are going in smoke.

Think back to Carnival's wonderful cruise in the Gulf of Mexico into Mobile, Alabama.

Also can be used to look under bed to make sure there is nothing hiding under the bed.:D

cant go wrong with a roll of duct tape and a very small flashlight

i forgot to add a hand held GPS if you own one...i cant tell you how many times i have been on the deck and been asked "what island or city is that over there"?...

also i second the comment on small binoculars

would walking sticks be appropriate for those with limited abilities?:)

My mom carries them on some trips - depends one what she plans to do.(she has a collapsing monopod/walking stick) I thought I'd read at least one river cruise company has them on board?

My husband usually brings his GPS & it's great for wandering off - we mark the location of (hotel, boat etc) and then can make our way back. If we see an interesting shop or cafe we want to try but not at the time, we'll enter it as a waypoint to find our way back. Since I don't usually get international data on my phone, it's nice to have the stand alone gps unit.

Has anyone ever brought walkie talkies? I was considering bringing a pair so that if our groups splits up we can find each other again. I'm used to having a cell phone to be able to do that but, of course, internationally none of us will have use of our cell phones.

Translation app, good idea. You have to have wifi, right? Or data. Which I don't want pay for.

... I don't pay for a data plan for my phone when travelling internationally ...
It seems like a lot of people don't want to take their cell phones to Europe, or if they do, to not use a data plan. I bought local SIM cards to put into my Android phone (equal to about 10 bucks in both Vienna and Prague) even though we were in each place only 3 days. Absolutely worth every penny; used Google Translate to converse with a lovely Russian couple we met in Prague, used Google Maps navigation to walk both cities with confidence (and to find transit stations easily). Currency conversion was a snap with Google search. Also found restaurant reviews, special events etc.

I suppose I am an online kind of guy, but in my opinion it's worth having data access wherever I travel if I can find it for this kind of price. Of course, I have a global phone (Verizon Galaxy Note 2), which is essential for this approach.

Since we'll have 3 couples on our next trip (us and 2 sets of parents) we're contemplating communications right now. I have a smartphone and can get international data & voice. My mom's husband works in Saudi Arabia and has a smartphone with international voice & data, and then we have an unlocked quad band phone that we've used in a bunch of places - might get sim cards/minutes and give that to my in-laws. Would be more for emergency use, not general keeping in touch with each other. Quite frankly, I don't *need* to be that in touch:p Though it's certainly getting cheaper & easier to be able to do so (that, of course, being the source of the problem as well as the solution:cool:)

If you have an Iphone or Ipad there are at least 2 map apps that you can use offline.

CityMaps2Go or OffMaps2

We used them extensively in the US, Canada and Alaska earlier this year.

Make sure you download any maps you think you may need prior to leaving home.

My husband unlocked his Android and purchased a Telestial SIM card for $29 US. This came with a $10 calling credit. The sim was delivered to our door in less than two weeks. There may be something better but i dont want to start a search once i'm in Europe and jet lagged. I'm not endorsing this company because I've not used it much yet. This allows him to make phone calls (mainly home to check messages), use a bit of data and text me. I topped up an extra $30.

I bought a text only plan from Bell Canada. I feel more secure knowing I can reach or be reached if needed. For the peace of mind, the costs were minimal.

The costs for a single text without this plan was $.75. For those afraid to take their phone, check with your provider what the costs are.

I did warn everyone not to call me on my cell because I WILL NOT be answering it. Text or email me, don't call!

Archived