Be careful with acronyms

vivi9909

Celebrity's confirmation invoice is bad enough, it reads:-

SLC5-WAVE BEV PKG

SOY9-$200 ONBRDCR

AI CEL CLAL

All are no charge, and I can work out what the first 2 are, but what is AI CEL CLAL ?

I ii assume its Celebrity All Incluse ?????

Can anyone translate for me ?

Richard

Sorry, AI CEL CLAL maybe All Inclusive Celebrity Classic Level, but am not sure.:D

Originally Posted by jackdiamond

What is the meaning of CIA and CSA?

Central Intelligence Agency

Confederate States of America

Some groups of letters or acronyms have different meanings in different times or countries.

UL in the USA has a similar organization in Canada as the CSA (Canadian Standards Association) and also could mean the Canadian Soccer Association and Canadian Securities Administrators...

Some groups of letters or acronyms have different meanings in different times or countries.

UL in the USA has a similar organization in Canada as the CSA (Canadian Standards Association) and also could mean the Canadian Soccer Association and Canadian Securities Administrators...

TT (True that)

I appreciate this list, it has cleared up some misunderstandings for me.:D

There are a few more for Celebrity use:

GRM=Guest relations manager

F&B= Food and beverages manager

CSM=Cruise sales manager also sometimes FCSM or FCC

HD=Hotel Director

CD=Cruise Director

CCH=Captain's Club Host(ess)

and a whole bunch more used for obfuscation..

In the English language some words are spelled the same but have different meanings:

wicked -
could be a nasty person (the Wicked Witch of the West) or the past tense of wick a verb meaning to draw off a liquid by capillary action (the revolutionary fabric wicked the moisture away from her skin) Some English language words have different meaning in different countries - like in the UK a boot might mean what in the US is called the trunk of a car. Whereas in the US boot usually means a specific type of footwear (when used as a noun) - but could mean "kick" when used as a verb, or perhaps the process to disable a car if one gets too many parking tickets, or fired/dismissed, or the action of starting up a computer or a program on a computer, or . . . .
[/color]
[/color]

And as has been pointed out, some abbreviations actually become words - Self-Contained Underwater Breathing Apperatus, was abbreviated S.C.U.B.A. which is now routinely simply called scuba.

So why should abbreviations be any different - just be careful when using an abbreviation (including acronymns) that the meaning is evident from the context.

One abbreviation I like, I have gleaned from a frequent flier board - DYKWIA.

It's applied to someone who tries to get privileges by throwing his weight about and claiming superior status, and it is short for Do You Know Who I Am? Alternative name-calling for DYKWIA is Dick Weir - say the acronym out loud and you'll get that.

One abbreviation I like, I have gleaned from a frequent flier board - DYKWIA.

It's applied to someone who tries to get privileges by throwing his weight about and claiming superior status, and it is short for Do You Know Who I Am? Alternative name-calling for DYKWIA is Dick Weir - say the acronym out loud and you'll get that.

To which my reply might be:

DILLIGA* (the last letter depends on your sensibilities):D

To which my reply might be:

DILLIGA* (the last letter depends on your sensibilities):D

I won't go beyond DILLIC Does it look like I "care"..

and then there is:

ALOTBSOL Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life

for more that you thought you never wanted to know:

http://www.internetslang.com

Archived