LGBT on HAL....OK?

RevCo0219

Thinking of booking noordam 10/31 transatlantic and wondering what folks experience is with Holland America. Do they have friends of Dorothy groups? And are they gay friendly?

Thanks

Yes to both your questions. Remember that RSVP has chartered many HAL ships for their all-gay cruises. In my experience, you need have no concerns about being gay on a HAL ship.

I bring up again - is anyone aware of a cruise line that is NOT gay friendly? Or African American friendly? or older adult friendly?

Individuals in any business may have issues with gay people but you certainly cannot paint a cruise line by the odd bad experience, crass entertainer, etc.

You get my point. You have money - they want it.

We have been on four HAL cruises, and have another booked for 2014. We have never had a problem feeling uncomfortable on HAL at all. On our last HAL cruise, last year on the Oosterdam, I think they had the LGBT gathering listed every day in the bulletin (except for the embarkation day).

However, to somewhat echo what soldham points out, we have felt welcome on all the cruise lines we've sailed on: Celebrity, Princess, HAL and NCL.

My partner and I have been on a lot of cruises. We have never encountered an employee who was obviously unfriendly because of our being gay. We have seen a few passengers who had a problem, but nothing terrible. On HAL, everyone is friendly and helpful. And sometimes there is someone gay on the staff who takes special care of GLBT passengers by participating in the GLBT meetups.

Thinking of booking noordam 10/31 transatlantic and wondering what folks experience is with Holland America. Do they have friends of Dorothy groups? And are they gay friendly?

Thanks

We've sailed them many times (gay couple 30/38 yrs). They are so welcoming and sensitive to your needs. They know that a table for two might be more important to you than others, they know not to assume you want the beds separated and each and every employee on board seems to be trained and well selected when it comes to dealing with gay and lesbian passengers. Very very accommodating cruise line. As a matter of fact, that is why we keep going back on them although honestly we oftentimes get confused with staff by the other guests as our age does not seem to fit the demographics of the ships:-)

Chris

We've sailed them many times (gay couple 30/38 yrs). They are so welcoming and sensitive to your needs. They know that a table for two might be more important to you than others, they know not to assume you want the beds separated and each and every employee on board seems to be trained and well selected when it comes to dealing with gay and lesbian passengers. Very very accommodating cruise line. As a matter of fact, that is why we keep going back on them although honestly we oftentimes get confused with staff by the other guests as our age does not seem to fit the demographics of the ships:-)

Chris

Yeah, you're the age of many of the grandchilderen of HAL pax. We do Cunard & their demographic is similar, but Richard & I like the "worldliness" of the pax. Agewise, we're pretty much exactly 20 years older than you two.

Archived