B2B On the Freedom ~ August 18th & 25th: My Diary

maxs mom

We will be in Labadee again in December and we will be the second ship in. Never been there with two ships before. I am dreading it!

Jane, are you the first ship in? If so, go early and get your spot on Barefoot, which I'm sure you're already planning. I was there on Navigator with Explorer also in and the place was packed. Even barefoot was packed, but we had a cabana so we were able to avoid some of it. Not ideal for those of us who aren't keen on crowds!

Edited by LuckiStac13*Majesty*

Saturday ~ August 24th ~ At Sea

Wow! It's Saturday already! I'm just now getting in the cruise groove. Good thing we've got another week. I would hate to have to get off tomorrow!

This morning we had breakfast with the Officers at 9 o'clock in Portofino. It was very nice. There were about 5 or 6 tables set up with a couple of Officers at each table including the Captain. (Who was Ron Holms' date=' by the way......I don't think I ever got a picture of him....but he was very visible throughout the cruise.)[/size']

We were served mimosas and several courses. I had a poached egg on sourdough with salmon and spinach.......quite good!

DSC00478_zps7035251f.jpg

We sat with the head of Human Resources and the Chief Engineer and his wife. Very nice conversation. Nice time.

DSC00482_zps0d2b1799.jpg

DSC00483_zps9be2b30d.jpg

At 11:15 we met with all the consecutive cruisers to be informed of the procedure for getting off and back on tomorrow and get our new sea pass cards. We were served mimosas there, too! I forgot to mention that we met some former cruise buddies (June and George) on this cruise who had been on the previous two weeks and on the spur of the moment, booked next week as well. We sat with them at the meeting.

DSC00488_zps1214a17c.jpg

DSC00489_zps1df8e91e.jpg

And here we are headed back to Port Canaveral:

DSC00486_zpsdee6e5ac.jpg

Jane, was the Breakfast in Portofino just for cruisers with 340 points? The breakfast used to be for D/D+/Pinnacle but it got too big. We hit 340 after our Oct. 28 cruise and then cruise on FR on Jan. 12.

Love your reviews!!

Edited by SherriZ366

Hi Jane! What a lovely review of the Freedom OTS!

We've been on this ship many times but looking so forward to returning in December. Thank you for the memories and the excitement of returning again in the near future.

Congrats on retirement! We are now in the planning stages and my DH is chomping at the bit to make it happen. :D

Jane - love the review so far. We had such a great cruise with you, John, Gerry

Sandy, the pink Boa's (Windy and kaye) and all the other really nice people we met. The two dinners in the specialty dining rooms were really fun with the four of us. Look forward to seeing you and John on the "Independence" in December.

Phyllis and I have done the laundry, gone to the dry cleaners and caught up on our lost sleep. We are ready to go again.

Al

We will be in Labadee again in December and we will be the second ship in. Never been there with two ships before. I am dreading it!

I have not been there with two ships either. This past March on Indy we were supposed to be the second ship in after Explorer. Buit EX never made it due to a storm slowing it down. I think RCI is really pushing it with two ships.

Jane, are you the first ship in? If so, go early and get your spot on Barefoot, which I'm sure you're already planning. I was there on Navigator with Explorer also in and the place was packed. Even barefoot was packed, but we had a cabana so we were able to avoid some of it. Not ideal for those of us who aren't keen on crowds!

No....we're the second ship in! :( We should have a cabana though, so maybe that will help. Two ships are just too much for these private islands!

Jane, was the Breakfast in Portofino just for cruisers with 340 points? The breakfast used to be for D/D+/Pinnacle but it got too big. We hit 340 after our Oct. 28 cruise and then cruise on FR on Jan. 12.

Love your reviews!!

Thanks!!

Yes....the eat with an officer deal is for 340 and more. Every ship is different. We've had everything from breakfast to lunch to formal dinners. Just depends on the ship. Right now it's breakfast on the Freedom. Two weeks before us there were only 2 people that showed up. This past week we had 5 tables in Portofino. This particular week there were so many that we had to go in the Main Dining Room. But this is Florida. Other departure ports don't have this many.

No....we're the second ship in! :( We should have a cabana though' date=' so maybe that will help. Two ships are just too much for these private islands![/size']

I'm glad you have a cabana. You will be fine then. I stayed in the water the entire day, or in the cabana, I didn't venture out much b/c of all the people. Definitely not what I was used to with Labadee.

I agree, no way there should be two ships in at the same time.

Hi Jane! What a lovely review of the Freedom OTS!

We've been on this ship many times but looking so forward to returning in December. Thank you for the memories and the excitement of returning again in the near future.

Congrats on retirement! We are now in the planning stages and my DH is chomping at the bit to make it happen. :D

This retirement thing is pretty neat!! Get there as soon as you can!!

Jane - love the review so far. We had such a great cruise with you, John, Gerry

Sandy, the pink Boa's (Windy and kaye) and all the other really nice people we met. The two dinners in the specialty dining rooms were really fun with the four of us. Look forward to seeing you and John on the "Independence" in December.

Phyllis and I have done the laundry, gone to the dry cleaners and caught up on our lost sleep. We are ready to go again.

Al

Yep! We're about ready to go again, too. Although I have 5 pounds to lose first!! Will have to wait until next month, though. Can't wait 'til December. Will be a good time!

Jane, you mentioned there is no D, D+, P breakfast section in the MDR. Does that mean no complimentary specialty coffee?

That is correct!! :mad: I really, really, really missed that perk. I don't drink the specialty coffee, though. I just like the fact that we have an area to go to where the waiters know who you are and I don't have to explain what I want over and over again.

I haven't posted here in forever but I'm having cruise lust and have loved your review so far :). When we went on the Freedom last year, some of our friends were doing a B2B and we were pretty jealous- looks like you guys get some neat perks like that lunch on the transition day without fighting the MDR.

Is frozen yogurt new on royal's ships? We went in 2011 and I only remember ice cream/soft serve. I prefer frozen yogurt :).

Looking forward to reading more!

Thanks!!

Yes....the eat with an officer deal is for 340 and more. Every ship is different. We've had everything from breakfast to lunch to formal dinners. Just depends on the ship. Right now it's breakfast on the Freedom. Two weeks before us there were only 2 people that showed up. This past week we had 5 tables in Portofino. This particular week there were so many that we had to go in the Main Dining Room. But this is Florida. Other departure ports don't have this many.

Thanks Jane. We were used to the D/D+/Pinnacle Breakfast on Freedom and they changed it for our May FR cruise to 340+. We sail FR a lot because Port C is so close to us (we are near Hilton Head). How many folks were at the Officer Breakfast on the second half of your back to back when it was in the Main DR?

FR gets lots of high C&A point folks as FL people are so close. Bet the largest group of Pinnacles are from FL.

I haven't posted here in forever but I'm having cruise lust and have loved your review so far :). When we went on the Freedom last year, some of our friends were doing a B2B and we were pretty jealous- looks like you guys get some neat perks like that lunch on the transition day without fighting the MDR.

Is frozen yogurt new on royal's ships? We went in 2011 and I only remember ice cream/soft serve. I prefer frozen yogurt :).

Well.....I'm not sure if this is frozen yogurt or ice cream. I know we've had frozen yogurt on some ships. Whatever it is......it's good. I'm trying to get rid of 5 pounds right now because of it!!

Thanks Jane. We were used to the D/D+/Pinnacle Breakfast on Freedom and they changed it for our May FR cruise to 340+. We sail FR a lot because Port C is so close to us (we are near Hilton Head). How many folks were at the Officer Breakfast on the second half of your back to back when it was in the Main DR?

FR gets lots of high C&A point folks as FL people are so close. Bet the largest group of Pinnacles are from FL.

There was a pretty good crowd at the special breakfast the second week. Not sure how many, but they had to move it to the MDR. I thought we had the best table!! Will share later.

We really like sailing from ports other than Florida. There are hardly ever any Pinnacle folks on board and the number of D+ is not as large either. Heck......we've been the top cruisers several times.....in Alaska, the Med, San Juan, etc.

Hey Jane!

Congrats on your retirement!!!!

Jamey!! How in the world are you!? I've got some cruise buddies that will be on the 9-30 Enchantment. Will you be in the Concierge Lounge at all?

Hope y'all are doing well! Loving our tempurpedic! Ha Ha!

The soft serve has been frozen yogurt for as long as I can remember.

There was a pretty good crowd at the special breakfast the second week. Not sure how many' date=' but they had to move it to the MDR. I thought we had the best table!! Will share later.[/size']

We really like sailing from ports other than Florida. There are hardly ever any Pinnacle folks on board and the number of D+ is not as large either. Heck......we've been the top cruisers several times.....in Alaska, the Med, San Juan, etc.

Florida is easy for us as we can drive to all ports in under 8 hours (Port C is 4 1/2). Want to try a San Juan cruise as Jet Blue now has non-stop service from Jacksonville.

Jane:

I always love your reviews. They always get me enthused about cruising.

We are scheduled on the Navigator out of Galveston next July. Only one week scheduled, but still thinking of adding a week. Love the B2B's, but loving and affording are two different things. The way things are at school so far this year who knows, I might be retired by then too. Kids are great and teaching is great, but paperwork, especially for special education, is getting out of hand.

Mike

Lengend of the Seas 2004 Mexican Rivera

Serenade of the Seas 2009 Alaska

Serenade of the Seas 2011 B2B Southern Caribbean

Upcoming: Navigator of the Seas 2014

Edited by MikeBayAreaCa

Florida is easy for us as we can drive to all ports in under 8 hours (Port C is 4 1/2). Want to try a San Juan cruise as Jet Blue now has non-stop service from Jacksonville.

Yes....since I am retired now.....driving is easy for us, too. Very tiring....but we can do it. Driving to Bayonne next month. The best cruises are from San Juan, so hope you can do that!

Edited by max'smom

Jane:

I always love your reviews. They always get me enthused about cruising.

We are scheduled on the Navigator out of Galveston next July. Only one week scheduled, but still thinking of adding a week. Love the B2B's, but loving and affording are two different things. The way things are at school so far this year who knows, I might be retired by then too. Kids are great and teaching is great, but paperwork, especially for special education, is getting out of hand.

Mike

Lengend of the Seas 2004 Mexican Rivera

Serenade of the Seas 2009 Alaska

Serenade of the Seas 2011 B2B Southern Caribbean

Upcoming: Navigator of the Seas 2014

Mike.....so good to hear from you. 7 days is not enough for me! Hope you can retire soon. Thanks for saying hello!