Cancelled ports?

jormot

How often are Hawaii ports cancelled? Is there a time of year this is more likely to happen?

Hilo and Honolulu are generally very "safe" harbors to dock. Unless there is a Tsunami, they will be able to get to the pier.

Kona and Lahaina are tender ports. Much depends on the wind, rain, and ocean conditions. The captain can position his ship to "protect" the tenders as much as possible, but sometimes it just is impossible to dock with the boat and/or with the shore.

Kahului generally is okay (Maui / POA).

Nawiliwili is probably the tightest harbor for these large ships. If there is any major wind/rain, it is almost impossible to navigate this harbor safely.

Hurricane season in Hawaii is from June 1 to November 30th. And yes, Hurricane Iwa arrived on November 30, 1982. January/February 2013 had some large winter storms but my cruise in February and the New Year's cruise were able to make all four stops. Pearl Harbor cancelled several boat shuttles out to the Arizona Memorial for 4 days due to high winds. The shuttle couldn't safely dock at the Memorial.

It is really hard to tell until you get on the cruise, how bad the seas/weather will be. Just hope for the best and enjoy your time cruising. To answer your original post...it is rare that ports are cancelled, but it does happen on rare occasions.

PS...I was on a California Coastal in April and the voyage up to San Francisco was really bad. We tendered into Santa Barbara and I was sure we were going to capsize.

Displaced local girl

We missed Kona in December/2007 on POA due to a storm rocking the ship so fierce on the pier that the Captain feared it could damage the ship! The Captain made the decision to leave the dock early, leaving over 150 + ppl on the island! NCL did comp the passengers who were left for R&B, plus meals..... And they boarded the next morning. I don't know if it was due to the delay or weather that caused us to miss Kona, the next port. I was standing next to a lady on deck that watched her husband get left while he was walking back to the ship after parking their rental car:eek:

Archived