San Francisco at night

CruisefanfromCA

Will be in San Francisco on the Sapphire Princess on Monday October 14. Since the ship will be in until 11:00 p.m., what is a good thing to do in the evening? I don't want to sit in a restaurant, but I don't want to walk for miles either. I would like some sort of big city entertainment. A show? a play? a fun bar in the Castro district? It has to be over by 10:00 p.m. so I can get back to the ship.

one suggestion is the beach Blanket Babylon. A play with a bunch of laughs. You will laugh from start to finish. Should be over by 10, and a short taxi ride will put you at the ship.

At fishermans wharf at the end of the cable car line is the buena vista cafe. they serve some of the best irish coffee made and is great for people watching.

I second that. It is a fabulous play which is always changing with topical acts. I sat in the balcony where some of the seats don't have a lot of leg room. So maybe down below is better, especially if you're tall. But you should love the play.

I second that. It is a fabulous play which is always changing with topical acts. I sat in the balcony where some of the seats don't have a lot of leg room. So maybe down below is better, especially if you're tall. But you should love the play.

Unfortunately, the Beach Babylon is not open on Monday/Tuesday's. Here is their link: http://www.beachblanketbabylon.com/when/index.shtml :(

It's too bad the Beach Blanket Babylon is not going that night. I was thinking about Alcatraz at night (more spooky) but when I went to their website it looks like the night tour is already sold out. The blues bar in North Beach sounds good, I like going to a fun bar with live music. I had the best time in Victoria BC earlier this year at the end of my Alaska cruise, we were there late and I just went into this cool pub where an Irish band was playing and met some really fun people.

Yeah. I agree with the others. Beach Blanket Babylon would have been perfect. Instead, how about an evening food and walking tour of North Beach and Chinatown?

http://sffoodtour.com/night-tour.html

I haven't taken it yet but want to. I've booked food tours in other places and always loved them. This one seems like it would be fun, with good food.

Oh wow that walking tour looks PERFECT. Thanks that's what I'm going to do!!!

I hope you enjoy it. Some of the Trip Advisor reviews have been mixed, while others have been enthusiastically positive. The ads are appealing. Let me know how it goes.

• 1 month later...

It's too bad you'll miss Beach Blanket Babylon. I was going to recommend it also but I see you're in SoCa so maybe you can come again some time and catch it. There is also a neighborhood Italian restaurant and bar on the corner next to the theater called "Cap's Corner." Great place for some good chow and a drink before the show.

Edited by Cruisin Rick

Will be in San Francisco on the Sapphire Princess on Monday October 14. Since the ship will be in until 11:00 p.m., what is a good thing to do in the evening? I don't want to sit in a restaurant, but I don't want to walk for miles either. I would like some sort of big city entertainment. A show? a play? a fun bar in the Castro district? It has to be over by 10:00 p.m. so I can get back to the ship.

Be advised that almost all bars in the Castro district cater to an alternate lifestyle. It can be a shock to some tourists.

• 1 month later...

Well, the bars near Castro and Market serve all the alternative lifestyles. It is almost as if you are avoiding the word Gay. Then again, the inclusive wording now is an alphabet soup of letters and I can not be certain I could even get them all.

Please, if you do not go to such bars in your hometown do not play tourist in San Francisco just to see 'some of us'.