Alesund self-guided walking tour

Alaskanb

Hello: Every now and again I come across a reference to a walking tour of Alesund but I am having no success in locating one. Does anyone know of a self-guided or free walking tour of Alesund? Thanks.

Not sure that I re-call such a walking tour for Alesund being posted here. Our experience was that Alesund is fairly compact and relatively simple to walk around, see, etc. Below are my notes on this charming town, some of my sample visuals. Going up to the key overview point was a super enjoyable plus. More details on my full live/blog connected below. What other ports will you be visiting?

Alesund’s architecture is characterized by its turrets, spires, medieval-romantic frontages . and other whimsical touches that give this town its distinctive style. It is like something from a fairytale. On the night of January 23, 1904, the town, built largely of wood, was totally destroyed at night by gale-aided flames. Only one person died, but more than 10,000 people were left without shelter. Germany’s Kaiser Wilhelm vacationed nearby and sent four warships with materials to build temporary shelters. The town was rebuilt in stone, brick and mortar in Jugendstil or Art Nouveau, the architectural style of the time. This design reflects a “romance with the past” and highlights Nordic mythology along its winding streets. To honor Wilhelm, one of the most frequented streets of the city is named after him. The town has an unusually consistent architecture, most of the buildings having been built between 1904 and 1907.

More Alesund area info, tourism options at:

http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/en

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 117,978 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

From Aksla, here is some of the charming architecture in Alesund. This includes a canal or waterway in the middle of the town. This is called "Brosundet" ( or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor2.jpg

In Alesund, here is one of the interesting stone buildings in this area with a scenic canal or “sound” running through the middle of the business area. This building is an old pharmacy called the “swan”. That is why there is a statue of a swan above the entrance. This building now holds a cafe and a "jugend style" museum. Here you can see the history of the town, when the fire burned down the earlier buildings, etc. It is rated as an interesting multi-media show.:

AlesundDowntownStoneBldg.jpg

At a lower, street-level part of Alesund, here are some of the buildings along the central waterway, plus a nice statue.:

AlesundHarborLowerStat.jpg

From the Aksla viewpoint in Alesund, here is another angle with the spectacular view that shows distance islands, landscapes and mountains.:

AlesundVistaPerch.jpg

Ok, so here is a general question for the OP (or anyone else). If you drive into a small town in New Mexico that you have never visited, do you simply get our of your car and walk around the town....or do you hire a guide and take a guided walking tour? Alesund is a relatively compact city (we have walked many of the streets on our two visits) and one can get around quite will without following a person carrying a sign that says "follow me." If you want to go to a few places not in the immediate down town area you can take advantage of their excellent bus system. In fact, I believe there is a low cost shuttle bus from the bus station out to the Atlantic Sea Park. Just stop at the tourist office and pick up a free city map..and ask any questions you might have.

Hank

I find that small-group walking tours enrich the experience of visiting a town. I like to understand the natural history, and the historical/artistic/architectural context of a community. I enjoy wandering and soaking in the atmosphere but also like to add in an extra dimension if I can. If you just stopped in my spread-out-no-real-center town you could easily miss out on it's rich artistic and cultural heritage and the amazing diversity of it's ecosystem.

• 2 weeks later...

The tourist office is Alesund offers a guided walking tour starting from outside the tourist office. You pay on the spot and it leaves at approx 11.00 or 11.30 (can't remember exactly.) This was in the summer months and we found out about it by googling Alesund and followed the links from there. It may run for only certain days so must check. It was very good - we had a good, clear and pleasant guide who took us around town. Recommended.

The tourist office is Alesund offers a guided walking tour starting from outside the tourist office. You pay on the spot and it leaves at approx 11.00 or 11.30 (can't remember exactly.) This was in the summer months and we found out about it by googling Alesund and followed the links from there. It may run for only certain days so must check. It was very good - we had a good, clear and pleasant guide who took us around town. Recommended.

Thanks so much. We will check when we arrive next August.

• 1 year later...