Overselling?

This is our first cruise with Thomson, which we are looking forward to, having done numerous cruises with different lines.

I have just paid my final payment for a cruise at Christmas over the phone (not having an internet option) and was very surprised at the hard sell to buy extra legroom seats for our flight, being told that the normal seats were very uncomfortable and to buy the expensive (£199 each for 7 days) drinks package, because everywhere we were going the drinks cost a lot of money. Is this normal?

This is our first cruise with Thomson, which we are looking forward to, having done numerous cruises with different lines.

I have just paid my final payment for a cruise at Christmas over the phone (not having an internet option) and was very surprised at the hard sell to buy extra legroom seats for our flight, being told that the normal seats were very uncomfortable and to buy the expensive (£199 each for 7 days) drinks package, because everywhere we were going the drinks cost a lot of money. Is this normal?

Yes unfortunately an increasingly common feature! :( Most Thomson regulars are aware of what they are buying into and therefore aren't persuaded to pay for 'extras' if they don't want them - particularly when in comes in the form of a 'cold call' after you have booked offering 'up-grades' at the same price they have always been but inferring they are offering you some sort of deal. I think it's bad PR to adopt this hard sell approach - especially as it may be more likely to be new to Thomson or inexperienced cruisers who are likely to agree and pay more for what may not be necessary - or they really need/want. We quite often have a moan about this practice on here!

The drinks package or All Inclusive (AI) is worth it for some people but only if they are drinking more than about £30 of drinks each per day - although that does include soft drinks and coffees/tea served in lounges etc (you can a variety of teas and ordinary coffee free in the self-service anytime though). We would never get through that much so we never buy the AI. Drinks prices are not unreasonable to buy on Thomson ships - e.g. we can usually find a decent bottle of red for £15 ish. Their argument about drinks prices in the places you visit is a complete nonsense to me - that only affects you if you are buying drinks on shore. :confused:

As for aircraft seats - you don't say where you are going but if it's the Caribbean we find the standard seats very good and don't feel the need to upgrade. I can't comment on the Canaries flights as we haven't done this for a while.

In the meantime , please don't be put off Thomson by this misguided (imo) attempt to extract more cash from their customers - it annoys me but I just ignore it choosing to buy only what we want. Once on board you will find it a relaxed and very friendly and warm ambience which I hope you will enjoy as much as we do.

The first cruise we took, we got a phone call a couple of weeks previously asking if we wished to be upgraded. Ooh yes, I thought - how generous is that I told my husband. Till I was told it would cost us!!

But I do enjoy my cruises with Thomson. So relaxed and friendly.

Once I received a call. I was going to book 'seats together' anyway (Caribbean), so I let him do it. Was told I would receive an updated invoice with the price added, I didn't.

When it came to paying the final bill I was asked asked for less than I was expecting. Never being one to volunteer more money I paid that amount. After I came off the phone and worked the price out I realised I hadn't been charged for 'seats together'. Presuming this hadn't been done I phoned 'extras' to ask for it. I was informed I already had this, so I said 'have I paid for it?' I was told I had, so I left it at that!;) I looked upon it as a little bonus.:D

Once I received a call. I was going to book 'seats together' anyway (Caribbean), so I let him do it. Was told I would receive an updated invoice with the price added, I didn't.

When it came to paying the final bill I was asked asked for less than I was expecting. Never being one to volunteer more money I paid that amount. After I came off the phone and worked the price out I realised I hadn't been charged for 'seats together'. Presuming this hadn't been done I phoned 'extras' to ask for it. I was informed I already had this, so I said 'have I paid for it?' I was told I had, so I left it at that!;) I looked upon it as a little bonus.:D

I've been travelling abroad on package and cruise holidays since I was a laddie (50 + years) and have never been seated separately on a flight.

The hint of not being seated together from Thomsons is simply a blatant ploy to get punters to shell out more money unnecessarily.

They are now pushing these extras purely for that reason.

If they could market a "superior sea view" seat on the flight they try that one as well !!!

We flew to Jamacia with Thomsons four years ago and their standard long haul seat legroom was more than adequate.

The free AI drinks is obviously a good deal, as is the reduced £69 per week offer - but the full priced package is not, unless you plan to spend most of the cruise in the bar for a major league swally.

I dont think thoms take final balance payments over internet...or is this something new??

usually have to call them or go to a thoms shop (a little inconvenient imo)

balance payment for christmas sounds a bit early?? have they changed their policy here as well ?? (I noticed it had recently gone up from 8 weeks before departure to 12?)..... this sounds like its now due 14 weeks before departure:(

lol like the superior sea view seat wcm:)...I agree legroom on thoms is 'not too bad' better than the virgin (although they have a free bar service on the virgin):cool:

I've been travelling abroad on package and cruise holidays since I was a laddie (50 + years) and have never been seated separately on a flight.

The hint of not being seated together from Thomsons is simply a blatant ploy to get punters to shell out more money unnecessarily.

They are now pushing these extras purely for that reason.

If they could market a "superior sea view" seat on the flight they try that one as well !!!

We flew to Jamacia with Thomsons four years ago and their standard long haul seat legroom was more than adequate.

The free AI drinks is obviously a good deal, as is the reduced £69 per week offer - but the full priced package is not, unless you plan to spend most of the cruise in the bar for a major league swally.

Always thought the seat thing was a ploy myself, but in May this year we were seated separately on both legs of our Med Cruise flight. Unfortunate timing really as it was for our Silver Wedding

It didn't actually matter to us as it was only a short flight and we quite enjoyed the peace and quiet (OH did anyway! :))

It actually worked out very well for the hubby as he was put in an extra leg room seat for no extra charge as it was all that was left.

On the way back we were sat across the aisle from one another.

The couple I eventually sat next to had paid for seats together (wierdly they were the couple that I'd sat next to on the flight out!!!) and had been told that the flight was full and they were seated separately until it was realised that there were 2 empty seats next to me, once the doors were closed. So no guarantee even if you pre pay :(

Just checked when my balances are due and they work out as 12 weeks.

We have paid for seats together reluctantly, but have decided not to bother in future, especially for the shorter European flights. It does seem stupid that they would jumble everyone up unless you pay for seats together.

Just checked when my balances are due and they work out as 12 weeks.

We have paid for seats together reluctantly, but have decided not to bother in future, especially for the shorter European flights. It does seem stupid that they would jumble everyone up unless you pay for seats together.

They can't deliberately arrange seating so that passengers are placed apart in order to "persuade" punters to pay a supplement for sitting together - imagine the furore if that policy became public knowledge.

However there will be instances where they do run out of adjacent seating due to odd numbers of people in a specific party - and (logically) that would impact on passengers checking in at the end of the queue.

Kind of like buying tickets late for a theatre - there are always singles in split rows.

That's how I perceive it anyway.

wait until they introduce on line checkin

i dont usually pay for seats together, unless I am travelling with the kids... then i stump up the fee, mainly to guarantee that the kids aren't inflicted on some other unsuspecting nearby passengers:o

when we travel as a couple we have always been seated together on thomson (often in our preferred location) (chartered & scheduled)

the only times we have been split up (either end of the aircraft) is on return scheduled flights (most notably virgin) where they have online checkin and everyone onboard has either checked in online or has been checked in by their hotel 24 hours before

its difficult to do this when on a cruise (unless you have paid for the honking great wi fi package! and even then its so slow it doesnt work)

so you arrive for your return flight (in good time) to checkin at the airport...... to find that the only seats left are the ones by each of the toilet doors at the back (the ones with the broken ife screen and armrests) :(

We've just paid our balance for our hol going on 15 th dec, but it wasn't due until 22nd sept.

On another note, I tried to pick our (already) prepaid seats tonight because its less than 90 days until our holiday departure date but wasn't allowed to! Seems its not 90 days until our RETURN flight!! Oh well !!

Is there any reason why a customer can't reserve their choice from the unallocated (non extra payment) seats at the time of booking a cruise or holiday - on a first come, first served basis, at no further cost ?

Presumably Thomsons know the type of aircraft that will be used for that flight ?

"i dont usually pay for seats together, unless I am travelling with the kids... then i stump up the fee, mainly to guarantee that the kids aren't inflicted on some other unsuspecting nearby passengers"

geomagot

I was always under the impression that they are not allowed to sit kids apart from the responsible adults.So I wouldnt pay for seats together in that case.

"i dont usually pay for seats together, unless I am travelling with the kids... then i stump up the fee, mainly to guarantee that the kids aren't inflicted on some other unsuspecting nearby passengers"

geomagot

I was always under the impression that they are not allowed to sit kids apart from the responsible adults.So I wouldnt pay for seats together in that case.

Kids over 12 I think aren't automatically sat with parents.......we had a 13 year old sat next to us once on her own :(

Kids over 12 I think aren't automatically sat with parents.......we had a 13 year old sat next to us once on her own :(

yep...kids are classed as under 12 nowadays....i keep calling them kids but they are 'young people' (16 & 18) as they are so fond of pointing out to me at every opportunity

even so...I still dont like the thought of my 2 teenage girls sitting (somewhere else....miles away) with strangers.....especially on long haul

it happened on the virgin from barbados in january....luckily someone offered to move so that grandma & 2 girls could sit together...myself, ds and ms magot were seated in the other 4 corners of the aircraft!, ms magot being sat with 'a rather charming young tall good looking bungie jumping australian adonis' according to her:(:rolleyes:

We booked and paid for our seats in row 6 with thomsons, when we arrived at the airport early as we always do, we were told that they had given our seats to someone else, even though I had my confirmation. She found us some more seats together but said " it's a good job you' ve come early" but surely that's the point of booking seats so you don't have to go early and that you can guarantee being together, what is the point if they're going to give your seat to someone else.

......to buy the expensive (£199 each for 7 days) drinks package, because everywhere we were going the drinks cost a lot of money. Is this normal?

£199 / 7 = £28.43 per day

A couple of soft drinks, glass of wine with meal, and a couple of drinks in the evening would amount to more - so if you drink that appears to be a decent deal.

All in though I'm sure you will have a great time - enjoy your cruise :)

on dream/celebration there’s a supplement on soft drinks (cans 90p) the house wine is piat d'or ga:eek::eek:arh

and there are supplements on some cocktails .....sea breeze, s*x on the beach bellini etc (£1.20) bottled beers/cider (2.00) tia maria, southern comfort, amaretto, bailies (£1.20) (this is a shortened list)

couple of coktails £9.20 (the free on ai ones)

couple of soft drinks £2.20 (by the glass)

glass of housewine £3.90

= a saving of £15.30 if on ai

you would have to go some to break even on £28.43 a day every day! imo

on dream/celebration there’s a supplement on soft drinks (cans 90p) the house wine is piat d'or ga:eek::eek:arh

and there are supplements on some cocktails .....sea breeze, s*x on the beach bellini etc (£1.20) bottled beers/cider (2.00) tia maria, southern comfort, amaretto, bailies (£1.20) (this is a shortened list)

couple of coktails £9.20 (the free on ai ones)

couple of soft drinks £2.20 (by the glass)

glass of housewine £3.90

= a saving of £15.30 if on ai

you would have to go some to break even on £28.43 a day every day! imo

Agree Geo :) Being a tightwad, I go for free things first, water, tea and coffee. DH has beer, but drinks are pretty reasonable on Thomson. We have a bottle of wine most nights (around £12-14) and I might have a few orange juices. Neither of us drink fizzy drinks. Our bill for one week is usually around £240, so nowhere near £398 :rolleyes:

Being a tightwad

me too linda

coffee, tea, water, free bubbly at the gala reception, juice at breakfast....then I move onto the daily 2 for 1 offers or reduced price cocktails of the day.....plus a quick daily slug of my duty free bacardi in cabin

you can get a half decent bottle of wine for about £13 (works out cheaper than 4 glasses of the housewine)

our bar bill is never anywhere near the ai price

I will only ever take it up if it is free or reduced for early booking....although its not really free or reduced:( as the fare often goes down by the same difference if you book later

It is actually rather easy to get value for money by paying for the AI ;)

We don't like the tea and coffee in the buffet so always take it in the bars. I drink mainly soft drinks in the daytime, we usually have a couple of cocktails before dinner and housewine with dinner, followed by some more drinks. We never have a bottle in the cabin.

I am not at all happy about cans no longer being on AI and pretty upset at hearing the housewine is Piat D'Or (what a throwback in time). This may alter my perception of AI for the future.

I dont like the coffee either nell (its the milk i think)

so, I take my own, 3 in 1 sachets (£2.99 for 40 from b&m) or those nescafe cappuccino boxes....a bit dearer ....but nice:)...especially in my battered old thermo insulated mug (must have my dear old mug);)

hot water is free

I dont like the coffee either nell (its the milk i think)

so, I take my own, 3 in 1 sachets (£2.99 for 40 from b&m) or those nescafe cappuccino boxes....a bit dearer ....but nice:)...especially in my battered old thermo insulated mug (must have my dear old mug);)

hot water is free

Something else we have in common! :eek: I really enjoy my cappuccino out on the Lido deck in the evening before turning in - it always tastes better there too! :D I've lost count of the number of times other passengers have asked where I found the sachets and I've told them I bring them with me - but they don't weigh much so I always make sure I've got room for them!

Archived