Epic and Cell Phone in Miami Port?

LTCSZ

Hi: Hope I can make this question clear enough!...At what point is the "cell phone blocker" on the Epic turned off as it is leaving port? In other words (?), would I be able to call friends using my normal cell plan, not the Epic's satellite (expensive) plan when the ship is at the pier and as it leaves the port? I think it would be cool to call them for the Sail-Away out of Miami as I depart and to help them spot me on the ship, but I do not want to incur the NCL cell phone costs! (OK, I'm cheap)...Thanks for the help!

Steve

I'm not sure if it's changed, but I was able to post here on cruise critic using my ipad through AT&T until I was out of range of shore. It didn't force me onto the ship cell tower. I'm not sure if this is because they didn't turn it on until further out at sea, or if a "block" is a myth.

There is no block, if your device can connect to a home network, it will as long as there is decent coverage - after that it will try to roam and that's when the Cellular at Sea comes in.

For example on our last Mediterranean cruise we sometimes got local operator's signal during a sea day as we were so close to the Greek shore on Adriatic Sea during our return to Venice from Turkey.

Just watch your phone and your carrier's signal as displayed on the phone. It will tell you when it begins roaming. As mentioned, it sometimes lasts until at least several miles out to sea. And your first few miles will be out the channel before reaching open water.

Archived