Belize & Grand Cayman... Tenders :(

RTlady00

Belize is not 40 minutes and is totally worth it. We had a great day there.

If you read reviews from people that didn't like Belize, all of them have one thing in common: they didn't research and didn't explore beyond Belize City. Opinions from these people are unrealistically biased against a country that is, without a doubt, one of the secret gems of the Caribbean. It's unique and thankfully, not overly commercialized like other cookie-cutter destinations.

But I understand that not everybody feels comfortable unless they see a Señor Frog's or Margaritaville in a pretty Welcome Center. :rolleyes: Heavens forbid that their make-believe image of the Caribbean is tarnished by the real thing!

Edited by Tapi

We toured the Beliken Beer Factory...but it was a nice little drive there. Our driver did a great job telling us about Belize and we really enjoyed our day. The tender process was not bad at all. I would love to go back again someday and explore the Country more. Everyone we encountered too was friendly and welcoming. But to each their own I suppose, I also love Jamaica and read horrible reviews of it all the time too. Sometimes certain countries require more of a plan. Definitely some that I would not just wander aimlessly in, but like you said if you just do some research you can have a great visit.

If you read reviews from people that didn't like Belize, all of them have one thing in common: they didn't research and didn't explore beyond Belize City. Opinions from these people are unrealistically biased against a country that is, without a doubt, one of the secret gems of the Caribbean. It's unique and thankfully, not overly commercialized like other cookie-cutter destinations.

But I understand that not everybody feels comfortable unless they see a Señor Frog's or Margaritaville in a pretty Welcome Center. :rolleyes:

Our stickers were small and round, like the dot stickers used for pricing yard sale items!

With all the hassle of getting on the tender I am SO glad we stuck with it because the time in Belize was the best on the cruise. I'm in my late 50's so going on a zip line was a real adventure for me, but I did it! Then to relax while cave / river tubing was the best way to round out the day. I hope to do it again!

Belize not worth it. 40 minute tender ride 1 way and Belize is a hole.
my son-in-law described it has a large dinghy and definitely not comfortable with that idea LOL. I think we'll skip Belize.

Here are some pictures from our "horrible" time in Belize:

Boarding the tender to take us ashore

CD064.jpg

The Carnival Dream from the tender boat

CD065.jpg

Approaching Belize City

CD071.jpg

St. John's Cathedral

CD073.jpg

We were greeted by the priest and the congregation

CD075.jpg

Museum of Belize

CD079.jpg

Edited by Tapi

Seriously happy for you, seriously :rolleyes: the times our group went their were moderate to rough seas and I seriously think carnival should not have allowed tenders, 45 to 50 minutes. Protection while on the tenders, our group was sea sick and soaking wet :eek:. Belize city is a pigs sty of a city.

When we were in Belize (January 2012) the seas were very rough. It was a very, very long & bumpy tender ride.

Then when the guys on the ship were helping me get off the tender, they pulled really hard which I know they had to do as the ship & tender were both rocking. The next day I was in pain when I'd breathe deeply. I had to do shallow breathing.

Two days later I was home and went to the chiropractor. I had 2 ribs out of alignment! I sure wasn't blaming the guys on the ship because they had to get me on the gangplank.

We're going to Belize next January and if it's rough I may just stay on the ship since we're not planning on doing an excursion.

But I understand that not everybody feels comfortable unless they see a Señor Frog's or Margaritaville in a pretty Welcome Center. :rolleyes: Heavens forbid that their make-believe image of the Caribbean is tarnished by the real thing!

I agree...we had a great time in Belize. The tender ride was just fine, no problems at all!

Belize not worth it. 40 minute tender ride 1 way and Belize is a hole. Grand Cayman however different story. Very short tender ride and a beautiful island.

Belize, IMO, is a wonderful country to GO OUT AND EXPLORE. I'm sure if you just stayed at the port area or Belize City, you would not find it enjoyable. Our first time, we took an excursion to Shark Alley and Caye Caulker. WONDERFUL DAY. The second time there went went cave tubing...SO MUCH FUN. Hopefully, on out next trip there, we will see the ruins. I don't get how some are so negative about Belize.

Belize, IMO, is a wonderful country to GO OUT AND EXPLORE. I'm sure if you just stayed at the port area or Belize City, you would not find it enjoyable. Our first time, we took an excursion to Shark Alley and Caye Caulker. WONDERFUL DAY. The second time there went went cave tubing...SO MUCH FUN. Hopefully, on out next trip there, we will see the ruins. I don't get how some are so negative about Belize.

What excursion did you do to Shark Alley and how was it. Looking at booking for next year.

We just did the carnival liberty's Atum Ha/River Wallace tour. Very much enjoyed it.

We had cave tubing booked non-cruise line in Belize and we were disappointed. We found out if you had booked with CCL, they would have taken you way further up the river (we had to walk 40 min in the hot jungle carrying inflatable tubes over our heads and we got less time in the river). The tour company while nice, didn't deliver on the things promised. The tender line for Belize was very, very, very long and very hot.

The following year, we had a Grand Caymen catamaran snorkel with stingray sandbar booked through CCL and it was an awesome day, I don't even remember tendering at all, but I guess we must have?

There was a big difference, and I guess that's one advantage to booking thru cruise line. Matter of fact, I've never once had a cruise sponsored excursion that didn't blow our mind. Can't say that about the all (some, yes, but not all) of the ones we booked independent of the cruise line. Saving time in an already short port of call day would definitely encourage us to book with the cruise line. I'd rather save money on pointless bingo and get a sure bet of a tour myself!

That's strange about the ones who had to stand on the tenders. At both Belize and GC they strictly enforced the no standing. One girl even got called down for standing to take a photo on the top deck.

We're they the last tenders heading back when this happened?

No we were not on the last tender, there were still plenty of tenders waiting to go. It was awful in Belize, just awful. We even had people stand on the one in Grand Cayman and again not one of the last tenders. Maybe the times we went they just allowed the standing--of course for both tenders we were on the bottom.

Grand Cayman was def a walk in the park compared to Belize.

Grand Cayman was def a walk in the park compared to Belize.

Reading this thread, I'm thinking that there's no consistency. Our experience with the tender in Grand Cayman was actually worse than in Belize. Although the line in Belize was long, the one in Grand Cayman was beyond ridiculous, and under the sun. The number of ships may have contributed. In Belize, we were the only ship. In Grand Cayman, there were 3 ships in addition to ours.

• 1 month later...

Thank you Tapi for posting pics of Belize. Now am looking forward to it.

Belize is one port that we didn't book an excursion. I had previously read negative comments and since I don't do water sports, I didn't think it was worth checking it out. I am hoping that it won't be so busy getting on tenders once the crowd thins out right?

So looking forward to January (we had a dusting of snow last night but thankfully it melted away this morning)

:)

This is something that I think Carnival could work on. Tendering is always a headache. We were on the Conquest last fall waited early to get our tender for Belize and it took over an hour. Even if you arrive early it is still a pain.But we have been to Belize twice and love it. You won't like the port area but do an excursion like the ruins and you will enjoy it.

Grand Cayman is still the least of my favorite ports. Felt like you had to be well to do to walk around their shops. But it still my daughter in laws favorite place to go.

Of course, I love exploring countries & seeing new things I will never be able to see in the USA.

We started traveling as a family into the INTERIOR of Mexico when I was 9 & my brother just turned 3. Mexico is a BEAUTIFUL country. Forget the Border Towns! Many happy family memories.

With cruising I get to explore at least 3 different countries. I've never booked a ships excursion in 3 cruises. Rather save my money. Been to Belize 4 times (2 flying in to Ambergris Caye, & 2 cruises); this Thanksgiving cruise will be my 5th.

I'm happy to tender in, catch a water taxi to Caye Caulker, & spend the day walking around & on the beach. Not feeling 'safe'?? I can't imagine...... In a perfect world, someday I will retire to Belize.

CD064.jpg

CD065.jpg

Approaching Belize City

CD071.jpg

St. John's Cathedral

CD073.jpg

CD075.jpg

Museum of Belize

CD079.jpg

Going to church would be horrible.

Going to church would be horrible.

To each his own. For us, it was the highlight of our cruise. It gave us genuine insight on how the people of Belize live.

That was more memorable and unique than any time I've ever spent at Señor Frog's or Carlos and Charlie's. :o

Just found out that both ports, Belize & Grand Cayman use "Tenders". Not too comfortable with this. How quick is it before you can get off? Is it worth getting off the ship?

We've been on the Liberty before but this is our first Western Caribbean sailing.

here is something I recommend: don't be in a hurry to get off. get up, have some breakfast, wait an hour...other wise it could be long. it irritates the HECK out of me when the cruise director or another employee mentions not to line up on the stairs since they need customs first, and people do...this causes a huge problem and back up

• 2 weeks later...
here is something I recommend: don't be in a hurry to get off. get up, have some breakfast, wait an hour...other wise it could be long. it irritates the HECK out of me when the cruise director or another employee mentions not to line up on the stairs since they need customs first, and people do...this causes a huge problem and back up

Thanks; that sounds like a great idea. We hadn't planned on going too early anyway; leisure breakfast it is!

CD064.jpg

CD065.jpg

Approaching Belize City

CD071.jpg

St. John's Cathedral

CD073.jpg

CD075.jpg

Museum of Belize

CD079.jpg

wow...thanks for sharing

We have booked the stingray adventure in the Grand Cayman, we booked directly, not through Carnival. The instructions for the excursion says to meet at 8am at the Waterfront Centre for the 8:30 excursion. At the time of booking I didn't realize it was a tender port (first time cruiser) so now I'm concerned that I may not be able to get to the meet point on-time. We have FTTF so we will probably get off the boat fairly quickly.

Should I try and switch to a later excursion time just to be safe?

Just found out that both ports, Belize & Grand Cayman use "Tenders". Not too comfortable with this. How quick is it before you can get off? Is it worth getting off the ship?

We've been on the Liberty before but this is our first Western Caribbean sailing.

Definitely get of the ship.

Tenders are par for the course from time to time - especially in ecologically sensitive areas such as Belize... Tendering there would require dredging miles of coral and nobody wants that to save cruise pax from a little boat ride to the dock I'd hope.

nobody wants that to save cruise pax from a little boat ride to the dock I'd hope.

Call me crazy but I actually look forward to tender rides. They are such a part of the cruising experience. Walking off the ship into a tender boat, slowly pulling away, getting to see the mesmerizing size of these cruise ships from this perspective, and realizing that it just transported me to this country, is a very cool feeling.

When St. Maarten built their cruise terminal, and tender rides from the ship right into the heart of town were discontinued, for me this destination lost a big part of its charm. But I do understand that progress is necessary.