Preview/Review of Allure of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean Oct 13 - 20, 2013

7x5090g

Andy,

I hope you have a super terrific time on the Allure! Can you please post which nights are formal when you get back. I just booked restaurants for our March cruise, but want to make sure we don't miss lobster night in the main dining room. I think it's still nights 2 and 6.

Have a drink for all of us that are virtually cruising with you!

Janet

LIVE FROM PORT EVERGLADES PIER No. 4

Casting my mind back to November of 1999 when I boarded the first Voyager class on VOTS’ maiden voyage, RCCL has definitely come a long way. My 10 year old son wanted to be in the largest cruise ship in the world and have something to write about in his journal, so here we are. After VOTS, this is my 3rd RCCL Cruise and my son’s second. We were on LOTS (Freedom class) 2 Christmases ago and now….here she is, the 225,000 ton Oasis class AOTS (larger than OOTS by 2 inches) is sitting gracefully in the calm waters of Port Everglades, waiting to receive us.

photo-4.jpg

4 Days ago, almost every adult in my party of 13 received the unusual call (txt/email) from a contracted mass distributer informing us not to show up at the Pier before 12:30 due to the Govt Shutdown. Well here I am, arriving at 10:30am and sitting at Gold waiting area at 10:40. So for those of you receiving these annoying calls/txt/emails, you can just simply ignore them or spam them.

Maureencruiser gave me a challenge…

Ok, I take that as a challenge! See if you find these things on your cruise!

…Sooo first order of business after some food will be to find these pictures just to get them behind me. With some of the ones being obvious, I will be setting out to hunt for the harder to find ones. Later, when I get back home, I will probably post some of my own pics for future cruisers to find. May even consider leaving some bread crumbs to see if a) RCCL does a good job in cleaning up and b) future cruisers on AOTS are having as much fun as I am. :D

I signed my party of 13 up for a drive by wave with the Port Everglades Webcam. Do look for our entire family on the port side just above the bridge (where the pair of binoculars is). I will try to find a Canadian Flag to hang/wave off the railings.

Cast off at 17:00 Eastern.

http://portevergladeswebcam.com/

Now….we wait to board the ship.

More to come....

We are on this cruise as well. Was given a notice that "due to speed restrictions we have to leave Nassau at 12:30 instead of 2pm and will arrive at st Thomas at 1100 am. A little bummed about the Nassau change since we Are going to Atlantis. Guess it will be even shorter now. Not sure when we can enter the waterpark. Glad I had cancelled our private sailing in st Thomas.

Edited by flapbreaker

We are on this cruise as well. Was given a notice that "due to speed restrictions we have to leave Nassau at 12:30 instead of 2pm and will arrive at st Thomas at 1100 am. A little bummed about the Nassau change since we Are going to Atlantis. Guess it will be even shorter now. Not sure when we can enter the waterpark. Glad I had cancelled our private sailing in st Thomas.

Same concern here as we are doing the ATLANTIS run too. Just got 1 hr short. Going to shore ex desk after boarding and demand a discount.

Wow--that makes getting off the ship in Nassau even less worth it! We have an excursion booked through RCI in St. Thomas on our upcoming sailing that starts relatively late, so it shouldn't affect us if we likewise have the altered schedule.

How did you receive the notice?

Wow--that makes getting off the ship in Nassau even less worth it! We have an excursion booked through RCI in St. Thomas on our upcoming sailing that starts relatively late, so it shouldn't affect us if we likewise have the altered schedule.

How did you receive the notice?

They handed us a piece of paper

ImageUploadedByForums1381678416.999630.jpg.87b70c7c18ef32ed861b42020c17265b.jpg

Met a couple at Windjammer this morning with fresh pool towels and flip flops...no luggage in hand. Argh...the back to back cruisers. So jealous.

Sitting at the gate waiting for flight home and there she is waiting to get on her western Cariib route.

photo-12.jpg

Ok let's get this going before my memory fades away.

Tis was a week ago on Sunday. We woke up bright and early...in fact it was so early that I saw Carnival Freedom pulled into port on the web cam. AOTS didn't show up until a little later but I missed her arrival.

An hour later I pulled the curtain open I saw from my hotel room a giant ship shaped structure directly due east of the FLL airport. There she was alongside with the Carnival ship. She was massive!!

CRU_4400.jpg

Fast forwarding another 2 hours, had a quick breakfast at the hotel restaurant, we proceeded to the hotel lobby with tags on all our bags. Our private transfer showed up 15 mins early. With bags loaded in trailer, we were off to Pier 18.

After dropping bags off with porters, we proceeded to the check in desks.

Hmm...Vistors? (I later found out that you actually could visit the ship and use the facilities on board with a visitors pass)

DSC01783.jpg

NOTE: those that were warned not to show up before 12:30.....ignore the warning. We arrived at 10:30 and there were ppl already checked in.

At 10:30, the check in desks were practically empty. They separated out the general check in hall into two halves. Even numbered decks on the left and odd numbered decks on the right. (Sorry can't comment on suite check in desks-only booked an inside stateroom this time)

Check in hall

IMG_0825.jpg

10 minutes later ( yes that included posting for 5 pictures ) we were sitting in the Gold waiting area upstairs. My son had already received his wrist band with muster station B1 marked on it. This was by far the smoothest check in process of any cruises that I have been on.

Here's a peek of what the photo hall looks like and the doors to the ship on second floor.

IMG_0826.jpg

More to come...