Preview/Review of Allure of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean Oct 13 - 20, 2013

7x5090g

Up at 8 and she had already docked. Looks like another fine day in this almost non existing hurricane season. DS left early again to go jogging with his buddy, making full use of the jogging track.

IMG_0836.jpg

This morning we weren't in a hurry so we took our time having breakfast in Windjammer. Today all 4 families converged as we booked a non-RCCL island tour. Did this same tour 3 years ago and was very happy with their service. We opted for a private tour for all 13 of us so we could be a little more flexible on the itinerary. The owner of the your company greeted us himself, then walked us to our private van.

DSC01813.jpg

The driver was sexy.....no that was his real name. And he had a name tag to prove it...(got all the ladies to post this picture with him)

DSC01823.jpg

I rode shotgun and after we were all strapped in, Sexy showed us the giant cooler siting between me and him. And in it was full of juices, water, sodas for the little ones. Beer and rum punch for the slightly more seasoned travelers. More on that later....

We started the tour with a longer stay in a less crowded Little Bay. Driver dropped us off at the Divi Resort and we were greeted with a very quiet beach. We rented an umbrella and one lounger (for the granny that was with our party). The rest of us just dumped our stuff around her and took off into the water.

What a beautiful beach

IMGP2574.jpg

Taking 3 other first timers on a tour to St Maarten could not be complete without a stop at SXM (Princess Julianna Airport - or at least the beach behind it). This time around I did some research and made sure that I arrived in time for the biggest jet that would be landing that day.

Arrived at Sunset Grill around 12:48, took a look at the flight schedule here written on a surf board (and yes they also have a speaker there broadcasting the air traffic control between the tower and the aircrafts).

DSC01815.jpg

Since Air France from Paris was slightly late (later than the posted time of 1:19) we ordered our food first. 30 minutes later, still no plane...BUT what's worse was food was also late. My pina colada was getting warm and all we got were tiny prop planes. Then........THIS HAPPENED!!!

ALL THE WAY FROM PARIS, PRESENTING Air France flight 3510

DSC01819.jpg

Ok remember the cooler Sexy had? Well, we cracked it open after we got back into the van after lunch and proceeded to empty it. The rum punch was quite potent. Kids helped themselfs with soda's and juices. One kid's granmother just drank the water, leaving the rum punch and beer to be shared with only 3 drinking adults.

Trust me, this cooler was full when we first got onto the van...now it was only 1/2 full.

IMGP2602.jpg

By now, I was rather tipsy as we stormed into the French capital of Marigot. And of course what would be complete without visiting the famous bakery.

IMGP2597.jpg

IMGP2596.jpg

6 hours was really short when you are having fun (and lots of rum punch/beer). We were really running out of time (all aboard was 4:30 and we only had enough time to stopped by the famous Orient Bay). We stayed only for 15 minutes, just enough time for the ladies to take a peek at some pantless blokes....:eek::eek::eek:

By 3:55, we were on our way back to the ship ending yet another fun day in what would be our last port of call for the cruise :(

Here are some pictures after we got back as the sun was getting ready to set...

DSC01830.jpg

DSC01832.jpg

Well, soon after we got back on board, the kids took off back into the pool. I decided to go back onto the 5th deck to watch us casting off.

CRU_4980.jpg

5:00pm sharp the captain fired the thrusters and 225000 ton of fun began her journey back to Fort Lauderdale.

CRU_4982.jpg

Such a beautiful island I am sure I will be back very soon.

CRU_4984.jpg

By 5:30 I got to get back to my room to change. Dinner was waiting...

We will be on the Allure a week from this Sunday!!! Looking at your beautiful pictures makes me sooooooo excited!

We have NEVER been on a ship like this and I cannot wait!!!

Thanks for such a wonderful review!!!

Edited by GTO-Girl

Waking up this morning was hard...may be it was the rum punch from the day before...or may be it was the blues I am feeling knowing I had only 2 more sleeps before being herded off the ship.

The toughest thing about at sea day on such a big ship is - "what the

heck do I do first??" Boogie board, swim, napkin folding lessons, line dancing in the RP, bingo, wine tasting, grabbing a dog or a pizza, play a round of mini golf, taking a nap on the deck chair (but forgetting to put on sun block......:eek:)

I don't know why but I was pretty sure that we had the same number of

passengers 6 days ago BUT why were the lines for all the attractions that much longer???

Tip - everyone would do the flow rider and zip lining on the last 2 days so if you wanted to try, try it at the beginning not later cause everyone was saying I have a week to get on the zip line, why bother lining up now. Well you'd be sorry now wouldn't you.

Well we picked our activities this morning by starting with a napkin folding class at On Air.

CRU_5020.jpg

Not bad for beginners....

CRU_5015.jpg

CRU_5019.jpg

Don't know when or where this little guy got on board. Poor thing was staring at the ocean thinking how on earth do I get home. Looks like an unexpected migration. For sure he will have a long story to explain to CBP...

CRU_5041.jpg

Meanwhile this dude here is showing off. "Don't be wasting good old rum!!!"

CRU_5044.jpg

I really like the simple directory in the elevators...

IMGP2607.jpg

Was on the Freedom class when the overhanging adults only hot tub first debut. This one was twice the size.

IMGP2610.jpg

Here is where I fell asleep without sun block. I looked like a lobster after...WAIT, IT WAS LOBSTER NIGHT - second formal tonight!!! How appropriate.

DSC01846.jpg

Thanks so much for doing such a great review. We hope to be on the Allure within the next couple of years and I wish it was tomorrow after reading about your experiences!

Best wishes,

MouseGirl

Thank you. I just love sharing, good things or bad...experience for one became lessons learned for others :p

We will be on the Allure a week from this Sunday!!! Looking at your beautiful pictures makes me sooooooo excited!

We have NEVER been on a ship like this and I cannot wait!!!

Thanks for such a wonderful review!!!

I see you have been on Freedom 3 times. Oasis class is a completely different ballgame. Enjoy it you will and being WOWed would be a given.

I could get back on it in a heartbeat if I didn't have a mortgage to pay off.

This seemed to be a big thing as we would otherwise have to pay for this (Yes in the MDR menu you would have lobster everynight if you wanted to pay for it). So Laurentiu already knew we would need at least 2 per adult:rolleyes:. Oh by now I would almost certainly order another appetizer + entree to go with my 2 lobsters:eek:. Yes this is a cruise ship phenomenum where your stomach expands gradually over the week and by now I could eat a horse....and conquer the world!!

Here's my Prime Rib + Lobster

CRU_5089.jpg

And about the dessert - Baked Alaska...they don't light it up anymore. Was on Princess 3 years ago and they brought it out on a parade, lit up and all. Apparently it was a fire hazzard (I guess the sprinklers must have gone off before or something).

This was so so....a little too sweet I found.

CRU_5098.jpg